• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Robilar's Challenge or Karmic Strike

hong

WotC's bitch
Rystil Arden said:
They only get 2 if the opponent successfully hits them for +4 Damage though. The smart power-gamer tries to stay unhit despite Robi's Gambit
I'm still not allowing it. :D

GAAAHHH

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
If you have both, and an opponent attacks and hits you, do they provoke 2 AoOs? One from each feat? And more importantly, can you take both AoOs against them (assuming you have Combat Reflexes, which I think it a prereq, but not sure)???

I would only allow a character to use both feats in a game where I wasn't using attacks of opportunity. :p

modred

First Post
dang, now I gotta buy PHB2.

I don't know about the other one, but Karmic strike gives you a -4 AC, instead of increasing the enemy's attack by 4.

as another tactic, instead of getting rid of the minuses from the feat, for my character I made them worse (took a level of barbarian to get the extra damage from rage, giving -2 AC, and took Reckless Offense which gave me -4 AC +4 attack, or damage, I can't remember which)

I had 0 AC. But it was fun :)

I got the zero on purposely, didn't wear any armor or anything (with rage and scout I couldn't have gottten anything good anyway. It was worth it for the fun in responding when the GM asked "does a one hit?". I had a GM who laughed alot that time, so it was funny.)

If your going to have a low AC anyway, you might as well concentrate on other areas. The potential for Karmic Strike is the same as for two weapon fighting (which, by the way, karmic strike vs. a two weapon fighter would be fun), damage multiplies fast with alot of hits.

I had monkey grips, Extra Rage (+2 rages/day) , Instantaneous Rage, and 1 level of scout. plus a few levels of fighter, unfortunately I was too low to get any really cool combinations of other feats (those and one or two others were all I got, I was only sixth level)

I had another character (this one won't be as long a description) that used Karmic Strike, he was a Tactical Soldier (prestige class from Miniatures Handbook, my favorite ability from it was the one that allowed me to take a blow for an ally, so he wouldn't have to get hurt) which combined well with Karmic Strike ("oh no, the Ogre is about to kill the Kensai!" /switch places/ "Die Ogre, Die!"). He could really take a hit too.

though there were some rules questions about that character.

/power gaming over

My Answer: I have always felt that Karmic Strike was the coolest feat of all, I've never gotten it to work right. For me, the only Karmic Strike tactic has always been increased hit points. Since this new one gives the enemy more damage, I would have it say it's worse (for my tactic), but I would have to see the true wording from the PHB2 before I came to consider that a final decision.

Vysirez

First Post
The problem with letting them stack is it leads to builds like this. Now a few of the other feats are a bit off the wall but none of them really that bad, it's the combination.

Ignoring the requirements, Robilar's is better, especialy if you push your AC up a fair amount. However the +12 BAB req makes it a pretty late end feat, so you are far more likely to see Karmic Strike in a build IMO.

satori01

First Post
Either feat would work well with Evasive Reflexes...which lets you take a 5' steep instead of an AoO. Assuming you are on the edge of the opponents reach, you might be able to move out of range.

PallidPatience

First Post
I don't see anything that remarkable about that build. He has to be swung at, and hit, to trigger those attack routines. Willingly being hit by an enemy is not the most intelligent of tactics. Similarly, you can only attack someone within reach. He only has a 5 ft. reach. It's easy to negate his tactics at that high level with most CR-appropriate monsters, and with statted NPCs with reach weapons (which are under-utilized as is).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads