• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
Didn't see any mention of this in the current threads so I thought I'd start a discussion on it.
I've seen it and I wanted to get other folks feelings on the story and direction of this potential new direction for the classic series.

Finally after 20 years we get a sequel to Robotech (other than the aborted Setinels).. here's the synopsis:

Everyone thought the war was over…but the darkest battle has only just begun.

Spectacular mecha action explodes onscreen in this long-awaited and eagerly-anticipated sequel to the blockbuster anime series that spawned a generation of fans!

The legendary Admiral Hunter is missing as a deadly new adversary threatens the vulnerable survivors of the Robotech wars. Vince Grant and Scott Bernard must race against time to unravel a treacherous mystery that could spell the end of the human race!

Features the voice talents of Mark Hamill (Star Wars) and Chase Masterson (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

Extra features include "Birth of a Sequel" featurette with director Tommy Yune, composer Scott Glasgow and more.

Winner, Best Animated Sci-Fi Feature - 2006 International Horror & Sci-Fi Film Festival​

A link to the trailer: http://www.theshadowchronicles.com/

TheLe

First Post
I saw the previews on Youtube.com, and I have to tell you -- I am very impressed by the animation, but I am extremely disappointed in the CG they used for mecha. It looks alot like "Beast Wars" or "Zoids", which I think is a poor direction to take.

Not to say that it can't be done. The CG used for Macross Zero was just absolutely amazing. But the CG scenes I saw for Shadow Chronicles looks comical at best.

This is the main reason I will not be purchasing it.

`Le

I'm a huge Macross fan.

Robotech, though...well...these days I just try to keep it out of my mind that they're even connected at all. So, with that in mind, this could have my interest if done well.

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
I guess I'm the rare fan of both th source series and Robotech. I actually have Shadow Chronicles and if you're not a fan of the Robotech series it won't necessarily bring you home to roost.

The film takes up within the last two episodes of the New Generation series - namely Symphony of Light - and really starts to change continuity from there. It brings in characters from the Sentinels and Southern Cross and you see Rick Hunter for 10 seconds or so (Though he looks nothing like Rick Hunter should).

I enjoyed it but had to spend a lot of time explaining concepts to my wife who is only a Macross fan and didn't follow the novels or comics after the series.

The CG is the weakest part of the animation and all the female characters seem to be enjoying the low gravity aspect of space and have gained 2-3 cup sizes instantly. (Which is distracting in the non-military v-neck breast enhancing uniforms that only the women wear.)

Other than that it is a good film with some promise for the future of the series.. despite some history revisions on the part of the new creative staff.

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
TheLe said:
I saw the previews on Youtube.com, and I have to tell you -- I am very impressed by the animation, but I am extremely disappointed in the CG they used for mecha. It looks alot like "Beast Wars" or "Zoids", which I think is a poor direction to take.

Not to say that it can't be done. The CG used for Macross Zero was just absolutely amazing. But the CG scenes I saw for Shadow Chronicles looks comical at best.

This is the main reason I will not be purchasing it.

`Le

Well the CG is really bad - but the film has been sitting in the can for awhile looking for a distributor. I honestly don't think it is a reason to avoid buying it and supporting the series however.. I find it very similar in the Cg design to the old BABYLON 5 stuff - which was produced by Netter Digital before they went belly up. Jason Netter is listed as an Executive Producer on this film and interviewed in the extra features. Unfortunately it looks like they skimped on the CG budget - DR Movie has extensive experience putting out good CG - Yukikaze was produced by these same folks with much better results.

Wycen

Explorer
I attended the Shadow Chronicles seminar at Gencon Socal this last November.

You should have seen the previous attempt... :eek: It was like the Reboot CG and just NOT Robotech.

And the Babylon 5 feel was another thing they brought up in the seminar. Can't recall if it was a trailer to build support for Shadow Chronicles or an actual Shadow Chronicle trailer.

By the way, I do not believe Mark Hamill and Chase Masterson voice the main characters, one of the voice actors for a new character was at the seminar so maybe I just got the wrong impression.

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
Wycen said:
I attended the Shadow Chronicles seminar at Gencon Socal this last November.

You should have seen the previous attempt... :eek: It was like the Reboot CG and just NOT Robotech.

And the Babylon 5 feel was another thing they brought up in the seminar. Can't recall if it was a trailer to build support for Shadow Chronicles or an actual Shadow Chronicle trailer.

By the way, I do not believe Mark Hamill and Chase Masterson voice the main characters, one of the voice actors for a new character was at the seminar so maybe I just got the wrong impression.

Chase voices JANICE - an important role, Hamill voices two minor characters - its bad marketing to advertise him on the cover in my opinion.

TheLe

First Post
[imager]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/Macross_zero.jpg[/imager]I just watched MACROSS ZERO, which focuses on the war on earth before the Zentradi came. Man its good. All CG, but it is a hundred times better than the Shadow Chronicles. Good ole' Roy Fokker is there!

`Le

Belen

Adventurer
I liked it and I admit to being a Robotech fan. The Macross stuff has never really interested me. The story for the original Macross is not as good, imo.

The CG was a bit jarring. I miss the wholly animated aspects of it; however, I am very glad that we finally have a sequel to Robotech after all these years. As for the cup sizes, they are not that different than the original series, we just have different clothing styles that seemed to accent it.

I really hope that we get more Robotech after this film!

TheLe said:
I just watched MACROSS ZERO, which focuses on the war on earth before the Zentradi came. Man its good. All CG, but it is a hundred times better than the Shadow Chronicles. Good ole' Roy Fokker is there!

`Le

Macross Zero was a thing of pure beauty.

Remove ads