• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rocking the world

So to hurry things along in my game, that old volcano up there is going to blow. Aside from the earthquake spell, does anyone have any rough-and-ready rules I can use to outline the game effects of such a thing? Similarly, does anyone have any groovy volcano- or earthquake-themed encounters I can steal? I'm thinking battles on chunks of rock floating on a river of lava, that sort of thing. The more over the top the better.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Forget the floating rocks try Lava surfing! - the PCs use metal sheilds to literally surf down high speed pyroclastic flows whilst engaged in combat with various magma elementals whilst dodging lava spouts and falling bombs

and of course all volcanoes are the home of an angry volcano god who will emerge in a fiery bezerk (I used a half paraelemental magma-ogre magi)

Last edited:

Thanks.

I am trying to avoid the (otherwise admirable) Angry Volcano God as I think the already weakened party will be battling at least a few of the evil Slave Lords in the midst of all this excitement.

Lava spouts and falling chunks of super-heated rock--now that's cool. I think I'm going to have to ward the entire island against teleportation magic to make sure no-one takes any danger-avoiding shortcuts.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Let me be the first to mention www.lavarules.com. Download the free pdf! Not helpful, per se, but very funny.

My game recently featured a red dragon that lived in a volcano and which could magically manipulate lava. The players were seriously creeped out.

QuaziquestGM

First Post
1: A pyroclastic flow is not a solid or even a liquid. It is a flow of superheated ash, several stories tall, that may move at speeds in excess of 70 mph. A toxic (sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, various others), super heated, heavier than air cloud moving with gale force made of tiny particles of glass.....that may leave a snowdrift-like deposit a few yards thick. They are often accompanied by landslides triggered by the same "pressure release event", and are sometime followed by lahares (sp?). A lahar is a volcanic mudflow, often caused by the sudden melting of ice on top of a volcano. Volcanoes often have glaciers on them....either incidental due to climate or altitude, or forming in the shadow of the crater which shelters the winter snowfall from the heat of spring and summer....Fortunately, this is fantasy.

2: You might want to throw a curve at the players by having them run into cold subtype creatures that are refugees from the glacier...

That's a great idea--some very confused and very angry cold creatures causing havoc. And pyroclastic flow sounds like another term for "massive damage"...

Slife

First Post
Forest fire rules, cribbed from the SRD

Forest Fires (Cr 6)

Most campfire sparks ignite nothing, but if conditions are dry, winds are strong, or the forest floor is dried out and flammable, a forest fire can result. Lightning strikes often set trees afire and start forest fires in this way. Whatever the cause of the fire, travelers can get caught in the conflagration.

A forest fire can be spotted from as far away as 2d6×100 feet by a character who makes a Spot check, treating the fire as a Colossal creature (reducing the DC by 16). If all characters fail their Spot checks, the fire moves closer to them. They automatically see it when it closes to half the original distance.

Characters who are blinded or otherwise unable to make Spot checks can feel the heat of the fire (and thus automatically “spot” it) when it is 100 feet away.

The leading edge of a fire (the downwind side) can advance faster than a human can run (assume 120 feet per round for winds of moderate strength). Once a particular portion of the forest is ablaze, it remains so for 2d4×10 minutes before dying to a smoking smolder. Characters overtaken by a forest fire may find the leading edge of the fire advancing away from them faster than they can keep up, trapping them deeper and deeper in its grasp.

Within the bounds of a forest fire, a character faces three dangers: heat damage, catching on fire, and smoke inhalation.
Heat Damage

Getting caught within a forest fire is even worse than being exposed to extreme heat (see Heat Dangers). Breathing the air causes a character to take 1d6 points of damage per round (no save). In addition, a character must make a Fortitude save every 5 rounds (DC 15, +1 per previous check) or take 1d4 points of nonlethal damage. A character who holds his breath can avoid the lethal damage, but not the nonlethal damage. Those wearing heavy clothing or any sort of armor take a -4 penalty on their saving throws. In addition, those wearing metal armor or coming into contact with very hot metal are affected as if by a heat metal spell.
Catching on Fire

Characters engulfed in a forest fire are at risk of catching on fire when the leading edge of the fire overtakes them, and are then at risk once per minute thereafter.
Smoke Inhalation

Forest fires naturally produce a great deal of smoke. A character who breathes heavy smoke must make a Fortitude save each round (DC 15, +1 per previous check) or spend that round choking and coughing. A character who chokes for 2 consecutive rounds takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. Also, smoke obscures vision, providing concealment to characters within it.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
In the Paizo RPG Superstar competition, one of the "Design an Encounter" entrants did a lava flume ride. Perfectly mineable for content, and can be found here

Demiurge out.

Remove ads