• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RoD: Sharakim... again

vulcan_idic

Explorer
I know variations on this topic have been broached before, so I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse.

I've been thinking about playing a Sharakim character. The Sharakim are a Human/Orc-ish subrace from Races of Destiny.

I plan on proposing the following modifications to the race as written (thus why I'm writing this in the House Rules section) to my DM.

Ability Scores: No Strength bonus, all other penalties and bonus remain remain.
LA: Reduce to +0
Racial History: The backstory is replaced by a somewhat simpler backstory. They are a group of Orcs which split from the primary Orcish population due to a divine transformation from a diety of Good as a result of a tremendously self-sacrificial act of good for then diety and/or his followers which was well known among orcs making them outcasts, but unknown by non-orcish mortals, only known to the Gods and the Orcs. They are reviled by the Orcs for their goodness and civility and reviled by non-orcs on the assumption that they are nothing more or less than orcs. Gruumch was especially infurated by the betrayal and is now, millennia later getting his revenge. A plague is ravaging their society which is quite infectious and resistant to all known magical, herbal, and alchemical remedies. A few healthy individuals have been sent away from the culture for two purposes to prevent them from becoming infected and thus preserve the race and culture, and second, to seek out a cure for the plague and return only if one is found.

Any thoughts on the proposed alterations?

I don't think it really makes a difference to the rules considerations, but the character I am considering is a Sharakim Wizard/Sorcerer moving eventually towards the Ultimate Magus prestige class from Complete Mage.

I'm also trying to decide if I want a familiar (I see him with a Raven, either as a familiar or a normal pet) or a Staff from Dragon #338.

Remove ads