• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RoF/T&B/FRCS

Janos Antero

First Post
Opinions and any applicable rules wanted.

Considering a fire elementalist using Cali:):):):)e Elementalist: Fire (RoF), Bloodline of Fire (FRCS), Genie Lore (RoF), Elemental Savant Fire PrC (T&B), Cali:):):):)e Human Sorcerer, Elemental Substitution Fire (T&B), Greater Spell Focus: Evocation (T&B), Spell Themantics (MoF).

Any specific rules on those that don't stack?

If correct it should be +2 caster levels, +3 to DCs of Fire spells, +4 to DCs of evocations (for +7 total to Fire Evocations), plus whatever levels of Elemental Savant bonuses? (Such as another +1 or more to Fire Evocations).

I realize common sense could indicate that Genie blood and Bloodline of Fire shouldn't stack, but I'd like hard rules first and foremost if there are any, then opinions please.

That Cali:):):):)e = Cali-s-h-i-t-e just in case it confuses anyone.

Last edited:

Murrdox

First Post
Geez, for crying out loud, you're going even more hardcore fire than the new player in my campaign! He just has energy subsitution (fire) and he's also going for the Elemental Savant class.

The headache HE brings to the party is that he also decided to get a fire elemental as a familiar. He also had a "hat" made of special materials... so he wears a large crucible-like hat which the elemental can sit in while he travels.

Yes, it's weird... I know... *sigh* what's a DM to do?

maddman75

First Post
IC's right - you are the munchkin king!

I bow before your greatness. I don't think there's anything to keep them from stacking -- but then I don't have the FRCS or other source, just T&B.

Also - some DMs might let the Pyromaniac feat from S&S stack with fire spells. If so, it would give you a +1 per die of damage.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Janos Antero said:
I realize common sense could indicate that Genie blood and Bloodline of Fire shouldn't stack, but I'd like hard rules first and foremost if there are any, then opinions please.

I don't see why you couldn't. Great-Grandma A gets jiggy with a genie, while Great-Grandma B goes ecstatic over an efreet. Their resulting offspring (two of your four grandparents) marry humans, probably producing two genasi (your parents) - one air, one fire. Your parents meet, and voila! YOu get both Genie Blood and Bloodline of Fire.

Not having RoF, I can't tell you if there's any mechanical problems with this, but I would suspect that you need to take both feats at first level - if you're a human, you're fine.

J

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Thats Genie Lore, not Genie Blood. Genie Lore is study, so no worry there. However, that's a lot of feats for a Sorcerer to have to take. Being human helps a little, but not much here. I'd drop Genie Lore as it only provides a +1 to fire DC, either that or spell thematics. If it was me I'd drop both and try to slip in some other Feats into there for greater versatlity, because this Sorcerer is going to be a one spell, one trick pony from the plane of elemental fire. Besides the Elemental Savant PrC is going to boost those fire spells more anyway so why use even more feats on it? More than enough so far.

(1) Bloodline of Fire
(1) Cali:):):):)e Elementalist (fire)
(3) Spell Focus (evocation)
(6) Elemental Substitution (fire)
(9) Greater Spell Focus (evocation)

9th level minimum so far for this character, with a 15th-level minimum for Spell Thematics & Genie Lore in addition. But its possible. Though I would so not very desirable, but that's just my opinion. I say go for it and enjoy the character. :D

Chun-tzu

First Post
Sorcerers have a hard time qualifying for Elemental Savant, because they need 8 ranks in Knowledge: The Planes. There are a few ways to work around this, but none are that great for this character. Cosmopolitan or Education would make it a class skill, but those are regional feats, and you've chosen Calishite for your region. You might be able to convince your DM to allow you to take one of those feats anyway (you can take regional feats from other regions if you've spent enough time there), but a lot of DMs probably won't go for that, and you don't have the feats to spare. You could also take levels in Wizard or Bard, since they have Knowledge: The Planes as a class skill, but that dilutes your Sorcerer caster level.

The other thing to consider is that you lose a lot in versatility by focusing so much on fire magic. You're just not going to have the utility spells that a standard wizard or sorcerer would otherwise have (like maybe invisibility, haste, knock, and so on). So most DMs probably won't object, because you're losing out on quite a but by hyper-specializing.

Janos Antero

First Post
Well the purpose behind the character is actually that he's going to be a one adventure backup for our party which lacks a wizard. He's our fire support basically, and the DM gave me the go to make him twinky as hell since what we're fighting is going to be tough, and this guy won't be around long.

So I'm really not worried too much about being "that" much of a one trick pony. And since he's going to be 16th, he can have a few substitution rods should whatever we face be especially resistant to fire damage. Knowledge:planes is going to be tricky, and I'll have to see how the level breakdown itself looks, this is really just the quick notes I scribbed down on the character before I really plot him out.

All the comments are appreciated though, and glad to hear there isn't anything directly opposing the concept.

Maddman: :D

ruleslawyer

Yes, I'd say these all stack. It's called overspecialization. You're really, really good with spells that anyone with access to a decent magical item or a 3rd-level protective spell can laugh off anyway.

Sorry for the snarky tone; I'm just saying that I think this sort of thing is perfectly fine, since the power you get with your specialized spells is easily balanced out by what you lose in versatility.

bret

First Post
Dash Dannigan said:
Thats Genie Lore, not Genie Blood. Genie Lore is study, so no worry there. However, that's a lot of feats for a Sorcerer to have to take. Being human helps a little, but not much here. I'd drop Genie Lore as it only provides a +1 to fire DC, either that or spell thematics. If it was me I'd drop both and try to slip in some other Feats into there for greater versatlity, because this Sorcerer is going to be a one spell, one trick pony from the plane of elemental fire. Besides the Elemental Savant PrC is going to boost those fire spells more anyway so why use even more feats on it? More than enough so far.

(1) Bloodline of Fire
(1) Cali:):):):)e Elementalist (fire)
(3) Spell Focus (evocation)
(6) Elemental Substitution (fire)
(9) Greater Spell Focus (evocation)

9th level minimum so far for this character, with a 15th-level minimum for Spell Thematics & Genie Lore in addition. But its possible. Though I would so not very desirable, but that's just my opinion. I say go for it and enjoy the character. :D

Doesn't Elemental Substitution require a MetaMagic feat as a prerequisite?

If you're having problems with ranks of Knowledge: Planes, you may be able to go through Mage of the Arcane Order to get it.

Gez

First Post
Janos, you may be the new munchkin king, but I'm still the ENB-l337 munchking ! Behold my 31337 f0rum skillz, and f34r me:

Calishite.
Calishite.
Calishite.
Calishite.
Calishite.
Calishite.
Calishite.
Calishite.
Calishite.

:p

I would let everything stack... And then send a red dragon.

Remove ads