• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue build advice

drdevoid

Explorer
I am having trouble knowing what to do next with my 3rd level rogue and could use some help.

The basic idea I'd had with this character was I wanted a balance of ranged and melee options and I wanted to look into the viability of a non-TWF build. I really would like this to be a high-flying, swashbuckling character- I've already established that he swings around on whips and ropes with grappling hooks.

Now I've thought about adding levels in Swashbuckler, but we just had a rogue that did that. Similarly, I've thought about Factotum, though I don't know if it will be allowed and I really just want the "Brains over Brawn" ability (Int for tripping and bull rushing-heck yeah!)

I've also thought about various PrCs: Dread Pirate, Thief Acrobat, Invisible Blade (he uses a punch dagger)- but none of them really spoke to me. Arcane Trickster should be out- too many wizards!

That all said, I could go for a TWF Arcane Trickster, but I'd really like to hear other advice .

----

Now I've thought about adding levels in Nomad, Psion specializing in Psychoportation, but I don't really know what powers to take to build a really versatile and mobile character. There isn't too much need for direct damage powers in this party and I don't want to steal anyones thunder. Also I don't know what would be a good jumping off point. It would be neat to get point blank shot followed by Psionic Shot (bonus feat)- an later rapid shot, but I don't have much of a clue otherwise. Plus, Psionics might not be allowed.

Books allowed: Complete Series (on a case by case basis), Psionics (maybe), Races series (big maybe)

Party composition: Gnome Wizard, Human Fighter (going for Green Star Adept), Human Necromancer/Fighter (Going for Eldritch Knight), Aasimar Tank Cleric (going for Prestige Paladin/Fist of Raziel), Human Rogue (me!)

Here's the immutable starting point:

----
G. Rupert "Rupee" Scratch
Human Rogue 3

HP: 24 AC: 16

Str 10 (-)
Dex 16 (+3)
Con 14 (+2)
Int 17 (+3)
Wis 9 (-1)
Cha 8 (-1)

F:3/R:6/W:0
Init:7; BAB:2
Melee: 5; Ranged: 5

Feats: Imp Init, Weapon Finesse (houseruled: no BAB +1 prq), Undecided

Skills (that I put ranks into): Appraise, Balance, Climb, Disable Device, Gather Info, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Search, Spot, Tumble. Eventually: UMD,
----

Your thoughts?

Rhun

First Post
drdevoid said:
IThe basic idea I'd had with this character was I wanted a balance of ranged and melee options and I wanted to look into the viability of a non-TWF build. I really would like this to be a high-flying, swashbuckling character- I've already established that he swings around on whips and ropes with grappling hooks.

Unfortunately, the rogue lacks enough feats to be good at both ranged and melee combat. I would highly recommend picking one, and sticking with it.

I was going to recommend multi-classing as a Swordsage, but your PC's low wisdom wouldn't work well with a build of that nature.

dhaga

First Post
You stated you don't want to go with any wizard classes, but if you want to multiclass, your high Int would lend very well to any Int-based class.

Or you could stick to being a single-classed, intelligent rogue, specializing in melee or ranged attacks. I play a human rogue myself, with similar stats, and the dodge/mobility/spring attack line is going very well for me. It may go well for you, too, if you want to be a swashbuckler-type, swinging around, jumping/tumbling off ropes and buildings, etc... could be fun! :)

drdevoid

Explorer
dhaga said:
You stated you don't want to go with any wizard classes, but if you want to multiclass, your high Int would lend very well to any Int-based class....

Absolutely. The best way I know to work this build would be to leverage some Intelligence synergy. I also thought that Psionics would give more movement and battlefield control powers than a Wizard and would work with my focus on mobility. So any Psionics advice would help (again, not really focusing on damage- though one or two would be nice).

The classes that work directly with Int that I'm aware of: Swashbuckler 3 (int to damage), Factotum 3 (int to str and dex checks), Wizard X, Psion X. Scout also is predicated on movement and daring ambusher could be a nice approach.

One thing I'm a little hesitant about is multiclassing with fighter for feats. If I steer from other options, I'd like to see what a single-classed rogue looks like. I've never seen a single classed rogue in a campaign- there's always a fighter or ranger dip. Of course that means I'd be 9th level before I reached spring attack if I went that route.

Also as an aside: Does anyone know a way to draw as a free action besides the glove of storing? Maybe a weapon enhancement.

nittanytbone

First Post
How about Beguiler? Wizard might also be a decent idea. A one or two level dip will shore up your weak will save and give you a ton of utility magic. Remember, ranged touch attacks (like cantrips such as the Acid Splash) let you deal SA damage.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
drdevoid said:
Also as an aside: Does anyone know a way to draw as a free action besides the glove of storing? Maybe a weapon enhancement.

Besides the Quick Draw feat, you mean?

Eager, +1 weapon ability, MICp34: Draw as a free action, +2 bonus to initiative checks, +2 bonus to damage rolls in surprise round and round 1.

Least Crystal of Return, 300gp, MICp65: Draw attached weapon as a free action.

-Hyp.

drdevoid

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
Besides the Quick Draw feat, you mean?
Yes

Hypersmurf said:
Eager, +1 weapon ability, MICp34: Draw as a free action, +2 bonus to initiative checks, +2 bonus to damage rolls in surprise round and round 1.
-Hyp.

That was +2 back in the Arms & Equipment Guide, wasn't it? And it didn't have the damage bonus either, did it?

Thanks again.

drdevoid

Explorer
nittanytbone said:
How about Beguiler? Wizard might also be a decent idea. A one or two level dip will shore up your weak will save and give you a ton of utility magic. Remember, ranged touch attacks (like cantrips such as the Acid Splash) let you deal SA damage.

Can you give any advice on what spells.class features you'd focus on with respect to my theme?

I know it's a spontaneous caster with a limited list of automatically known spells that are largely focused on illusion and enchantment, but I can't find my PhB II.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads