D&D 5E Rogue level dipping into Fighter help

Flavian

First Post
You are going to miss out on Death Strike for 19 levels anyway though. Better to have the extra attack for 16 than Death Strike for 1.
Death strike, but what do you do for the first 10+ levels between Fighter (3) and 17th level. Don't focus on the end build, you will play more from levels 1-16 then on 17+
That's very true, but I feel like going so deep into Fighter takes away from the Assassin aspect of my character, since that is what he is primarily and I think only level dipping into Fighter. So while Fighter 5 is probably the more optimal build, I don't think it suits my character so well... And Death Strike is a pretty sweet capstone ability too...

Dual strike with mobility sure, but that's 2 feats. Its at most 1 point of dmg per attack. IMO it would be better to spend the feat elsewhere. Mobility is good for action economy. Usually you can just walk away anyway with Cunning Action, its rare that you use all your movement to just get next to someone. The main lure to me of dual strike is the AC bonus (hard to come buy) and drawing 2 weapons, it allows you to keep other things in your hands (like a bow) and still get right in there if need be.
Yes, I see what you mean. Dual Wielder does kind of seem like a waste of an ASI, especially since I don't think I'm getting an Extra Attack. I do however plan on keeping Mobile.

Most people read sneak attack wrong, its once per turn, not once per round. Find ways to get off-turn attacks and you are GOLD. Definitely talk any fighter in Battlemaster just for Commanders Strike, and any cleric into Command to order then to run away and trigger OppAtt. Also remember RANGED attacks trigger sneak attack also, a thrown dagger or handaxe is just as effective as you standing there. So the fighter with Commanders strike can be next to the creature and you can get the sneak attack in with that thrown weapon. Why move closer when you can throw daggers like V?
Unfortunately (for me) I am the only melee character in my party, everyone else is a spellcaster. However, I do have a mastiff for the purpose of Sneak Attack, and very much plan on trying to get as many off-turn SAs as possible. I'll do some research on the best way to do this, but it seems like the better option for now is Fighter 3 with Riposte, Trip Attack and Precision Attack.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Your the only Melee character? You have a tough road ahead of you to get the sneak attack damage in. There is a list somewhere of all the ways to get advantage. Make sure your spell casters just load up on spells that give you advantage and auto crits. They paralyze them and you bury them. Buy that mastiff extra steaks. Have a spell caster cast enlarge on him to for advantage on his trip attacks, if they still get them as I can't recall.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Given the only melee character development, may I suggest taking 2-3 levels in barbarian instead of fighter? If you do insist fighter definetly take 3 levels for battle master and take the defense damage reduction ability. Being the only melee character you need to be able to take a hit more than you need more damage. Once you get adaquate defenses the sentinel feat would be great to help protect your back lines.

Barbarian gives you a way to guarantee you can get sneak attack when desired. (More accuracy in exchange for defense. Seems assassian esque to me).

Flavian

First Post
Given the only melee character development, may I suggest taking 2-3 levels in barbarian instead of fighter? If you do insist fighter definetly take 3 levels for battle master and take the defense damage reduction ability. Being the only melee character you need to be able to take a hit more than you need more damage. Once you get adaquate defenses the sentinel feat would be great to help protect your back lines.
Barbarian seems interesting, but I don't think it would help me as much as Fighter would. With Mobile, I plan on hitting an enemy, hiding behind another party member, repeat. HOPEFULLY I won't get hit enough to need to rage. And by damage reduction ability do you mean the Maneuver? Because if so then that would require a reaction which could be used for Uncanny Dodge

Barbarian gives you a way to guarantee you can get sneak attack when desired. (More accuracy in exchange for defense. Seems assassian esque to me).
I think you're talking about Reckless Attack, but if I'm not mistaken you only gain advantage with Strength attack rolls with that ability

Flavian

First Post
Your the only Melee character? You have a tough road ahead of you to get the sneak attack damage in. There is a list somewhere of all the ways to get advantage. Make sure your spell casters just load up on spells that give you advantage and auto crits. They paralyze them and you bury them. Buy that mastiff extra steaks. Have a spell caster cast enlarge on him to for advantage on his trip attacks, if they still get them as I can't recall.
Haha, yes I know the advantage won't be easy. However, the spell casters have all agreed to help me get SA as often as possible, and the Bard has pretty much devoted himself to it. Half of the party also have familiars and the DM has decided to let me train my mastiff to be more useful in combat, so hopefully being the only melee character won't be too bad...

Remove ads