D&D 5E Rogue level dipping into Fighter help

Flavian

First Post
So I have a Rogue Assassin looking to level dip into Fighter Battlemaster but I am not sure if I should go 1 or 3 levels into Fighter. My Assassin is basically a wannabe Swashbuckler (with feats like Mobile) while still being a traditional Assassin.
Fighter 1 would give me the 10d6 sneak attack dice, Elusive, Fighting Style, Second Wind and allow me to get Dual Wielder (feat) but Fighter 3 would give me Combat Superiority, Student of War and Action Surge but I'd miss out on the Rogue stuff...

What do you guys think is the best course of action? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mellored

Legend
If your looking for more swordplay, then you want more fighter.
If your looking for more skills, then you want more rogue.

It's pretty equal overall.

Also, multi-attack and sneak attack stack well enough together. So fighter 5/rogue X also works.

Flavian

First Post
Urgh, I just wish I could have both lol
I also don't think I want to lose more than 3 levels of Rogue since I'd miss out on Death Strike which I want.

I'd be beginning the level dip at Rogue 3, so my next level would be Fighter but I'm just not sure for how long.

Edit: Oops, ignore this message, I'm new and didn't realise how to reply...

Last edited:

smbakeresq

Explorer
Fighter 3 just to get improved crits with champion. Double all your dice is big, and it works all the way up. A crit with death strike is amazing.

Dual wielder doesn't help you as much as others since with 1 attack per round the move from a d6 to a d8 doesn't mean much. You do get the AC bonus though. Mobile helps you more as it saves you a bonus action sometimes.

I have found the sentinel feat oddly effective for a rogue. You can use your sneak attack damage on the opp att, and you can trigger it more with the feat. Its great against multi attack creatures as you stand next to your allies. You can take damage though, but being able to get in sneak attack damage on their turn is often worth it.

Flavian

First Post
Fighter 3 just to get improved crits with champion. Double all your dice is big, and it works all the way up. A crit with death strike is amazing.
iirc Death Strike requires the target to be surprised anyway which would auto crit due to Assassinate.

Dual wielder doesn't help you as much as others since with 1 attack per round the move from a d6 to a d8 doesn't mean much. You do get the AC bonus though. Mobile helps you more as it saves you a bonus action sometimes.
Well it'd be 2 attacks per round, since Mobile would allow me to walk away without using my bonus action.

I have found the sentinel feat oddly effective for a rogue. You can use your sneak attack damage on the opp att, and you can trigger it more with the feat. Its great against multi attack creatures as you stand next to your allies. You can take damage though, but being able to get in sneak attack damage on their turn is often worth it.
I've never actually thought about Sentinel but it does seem like it would work quite well. Thanks for all the help!

Flavian

First Post
mellored said:
If your looking for more swordplay, then you want more fighter.
If your looking for more skills, then you want more rogue.

It's pretty equal overall.

Also, multi-attack and sneak attack stack well enough together. So fighter 5/rogue X also works.

So it's equal? Well that's not good for me xD

And I'm not sure I want to miss out on Death Strike and another Sneak Attack die by going Fighter 5...

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
You are going to miss out on Death Strike for 19 levels anyway though. Better to have the extra attack for 16 than Death Strike for 1.

smbakeresq

Explorer
iirc Death Strike requires the target to be surprised anyway which would auto crit due to Assassinate.

Well it'd be 2 attacks per round, since Mobile would allow me to walk away without using my bonus action.

I've never actually thought about Sentinel but it does seem like it would work quite well. Thanks for all the help!

Death strike, but what do you do for the first 10+ levels between Fighter (3) and 17th level. Don't focus on the end build, you will play more from levels 1-16 then on 17+

Dual strike with mobility sure, but that's 2 feats. Its at most 1 point of dmg per attack. IMO it would be better to spend the feat elsewhere. Mobility is good for action economy. Usually you can just walk away anyway with Cunning Action, its rare that you use all your movement to just get next to someone. The main lure to me of dual strike is the AC bonus (hard to come buy) and drawing 2 weapons, it allows you to keep other things in your hands (like a bow) and still get right in there if need be.

Most people read sneak attack wrong, its once per turn, not once per round. Find ways to get off-turn attacks and you are GOLD. Definitely talk any fighter in Battlemaster just for Commanders Strike, and any cleric into Command to order then to run away and trigger OppAtt. Also remember RANGED attacks trigger sneak attack also, a thrown dagger or handaxe is just as effective as you standing there. So the fighter with Commanders strike can be next to the creature and you can get the sneak attack in with that thrown weapon. Why move closer when you can throw daggers like V?

Remove ads