• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue powers, sneak attack and weapon selection

gribble

Explorer
Looking at the Ampersand rogue class preview, it looks as though sneak attack and rogue powers are only usable with light blades, slings and crossbows. However the KotS pre-gen rogue powers only say melee/ranged weapon.

Do we have any info about which is correct? I really hope we haven't seen the end of club/sap wielding rogues, as my next character concept was going to be just such a "thug". He wouldn't mind breaking a few bones, but I don't see him as the type to pull a knife/sword on someone (except in a life or death situation).

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'd credit the preview, as the KotS rules were probably simplified. That being said, I doubt any DM would object to you exchanging a club for a blade for sneak attacks.

gribble

Explorer
Piratecat said:
I'd credit the preview, as the KotS rules were probably simplified. That being said, I doubt any DM would object to you exchanging a club for a blade for sneak attacks.
That's a shame. I'd sort of drawn my own conclusion that either the KotS characters/powers were simplified (given that the pre-gen only uses acceptable weapons), or (kind hopefully I admit) that the rules had been changed since the Ampersand article. I've just noticed that the KotS sneak attack still specifies light blade, sling or crossbow only though, so I suspect you're right.
:(

As far as houseruling, I guess that depends on the DM. RPGA/WotC offical games probably won't be that lenient unfortunately.

hong

WotC's bitch
Jeez, what was wrong with sneak attacking with any weapon anyway?

THAT WAS A RHETORICAL QUESTION. NOT TO BE NEEDING ACTUAL REBUTTAL. THAADVANCENKS.

gribble

Explorer
muffin_of_chaos said:
Gotta love sneak attacking with a one-point-of-damage-ever shuriken.
Well, unless shuriken are "light blades" looks like this won't be possible either (or are you referring to 3.x)?

I'm not saying you should be able to sneak attack with any weapon (I never did think sneak attacks with greatswords/falchions/etc made much sense), I don't see why saps/clubs, heck even shortbows, aren't allowed.

Cirex

First Post
gribble said:
Well, unless shuriken are "light blades" looks like this won't be possible either (or are you referring to 3.x)?

I'm not saying you should be able to sneak attack with any weapon (I never did think sneak attacks with greatswords/falchions/etc made much sense), I don't see why saps/clubs, heck even shortbows, aren't allowed.

Sneak Attack is hitting a vulnerable point. Why can't you do that with a greatsword? Blackguard had sneak attack as class feature.

gribble

Explorer
Cirex said:
Sneak Attack is hitting a vulnerable point. Why can't you do that with a greatsword?
I'm not saying it didn't make sense in terms of the 3e mechanics (or description behind those mechanics), I guess it's just that I disagreed fundamentally with the 3e assertion that it's easy to strike a vulnerable point with a large and imprecise weapon such as a greatsword.

Not that I really know anything about realistic weapons use (so please no real life weapon masters come in here and hijack the thread to explain to us how it is feasible), it just seemed kind of like common sense (perhaps enforced by typical rogue stereotypes and previous editions of D&D) that only finessable and ranged weapons should be usable for sneak attacks.

I like that 4e has made sneak attack and rogue powers (possibly) more restrictive, I just think that (like alignments, giants, demons/devils/etc) they've gone a bit too far and made things more restrictive than they really needed to be.

Remove ads