• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue/Spellthief or Rogue/Beguiler?

mypetrock

First Post
My character is a Changeling rogue with an emphasis on the social aspects. As such I took the Changeling substition levels without realizing how important trapfinding is to my group. Looking at the other options that would give me back trapfinding, I'm considering either spellthief or beguiller. Either would work for my character.

Has anyone had any experiences with rogue/spellthief or rogue/beguiler?

mypetrock

Kurashu

First Post
Beguiler would provide a few helpful spells (glancing over the list mage armor and charm person leap out at me). As well as provide a boost to will saves. Spellthief also gives a boost to will saves, but provides Steal Spell which may or may not be completely useful to you, and Sneak Attack.

There is also Scout. 1d6 of Skirmish is alright. 3 levels would provide a +1 to Fortitude saves and initiative checks, and uncanny dodge (which translates to Improved Uncanny Dodge), fast movement (+10ft to speed and +4 to jump is pretty good), trackless step (can't be tracked in a natural setting), and (1d6, +1 AC) Skirmish. However, Skirmish only affects attacks you make after moving at least 10ft, so a full attack with Skirmish is out unless you can find a way to move 10ft and still get a full attack.

I would probably go Beguiler 1 or Scout 3.

Depending on how long you are in your character (in terms of levels) a Beguiler/Rogue/Daggerspell Mage might not be out of the question. Taking practiced spellcaster mitigates the cost of levels, you would have to go cross class on Concentration though. Although, I don't know how well DSM and Beguiler work together.

Just my opinion. There's probably someone more qualified who'll offer a better one.

avr

First Post
Artificers get trapfinding. The Skill Enhancement infusion can more than make up for their lack of social class skills for you, and Personal Weapon Augmentation synergises very nicely with sneak attack. Scrolls and the Spell Storing Item infusion offer any number of low level spellcasting tricks.

I haven't seen rogue/beguilers or rogue/spellthieves in play, but I have seen a rogue/artificer and it works very well.

SadisticFishing

First Post
As they say in the PHB2, Beguiler and Rogue really don't go all that well together - pick one and stick with it. The Sneak Attack is largely useless to a beguiler.

Scout 5/Rogue 15 can do a lot of damage with Boots of Sidestepping, get the feat Swift Ambusher for 15d6 skirmish/sneak attack (then again I'm not sure how Changeling Substitution levels work)... Yay skill points, and damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads