• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue Stealth vs Low Light/Dark vision

Sir Brennen

Legend
Just a quick question: if a human rogue hides in a area of shadow, and a high elf (low light vision) or kobold (dark vision) looks his direction, is he automatically spotted since shadows are treated as normal light to these creatures?

Dragoslav

First Post
Related question that I never knew the answer to: Can the rogue hide in an area of low-light without cover, or does he still need some sort of cover even in low-light?

Texicles

First Post
Just a quick question: if a human rogue hides in a area of shadow, and a high elf (low light vision) or kobold (dark vision) looks his direction, is he automatically spotted since shadows are treated as normal light to these creatures?

According to the playtest RAW (at least as I'm reading them), yes, he is spotted, provided the high elf or kobold is looking in his direction, and he is not also benefitting from the cover portion of the Thief Hiding ability.

Related question that I never knew the answer to: Can the rogue hide in an area of low-light without cover, or does he still need some sort of cover even in low-light?

In the playtest, the rogue can attempt to hide in enough shadow to not be called bright light, regardless of cover. The physical cover is an "or", not an "and", so yes, low light should be enough.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Looking at the "Thief Hiding" on the Rogue character sheet, and the Stealth section of the How To Play, it seems pretty clear a rogue just needs light obscurment, such as shadows, to hide. Having cover couldn't hurt though, especially if the scenario in my original post applies

Remove ads