• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rogues are Awesome. Is it the Tasha's Effect?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
No it doesn't -
"When you take the attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you are holding in one hand, you CAN use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon ...."

It says you can use your BA for that, not that you must use your bonus action for that. So it is totally RAW to wade in with 2 short swords, hit with one of them on your attack action and then decide to use your BA for something else like cunning action or really anything else you can do with a BA.
That's kind of the crux of two weapon fighting. You don't get charged the bonus action only if you miss or add on damage after a hit - you spend it to make that extra attack with the off-hand weapon. If you choose not to make that off-hand attack, then sure, you can use that bonus action for something else.

Rogue was my first 5e character. It set the bar way too high, and this was when only the PHB was in use. Their ability to deal with traps and secret doors and investigation give them the spotlight on the exploration pillar. From a roleplaying standpoint, they usually always have something to do, no matter which archetype you use. And then the damage and movement in combat gives them the spotlight again.

No other class offers as much without tapping resources. A barbarian comes close in my opinion, but still doesn't get to that height.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
That's kind of the crux of two weapon fighting. You don't get charged the bonus action only if you miss or add on damage after a hit - you spend it to make that extra attack with the off-hand weapon. If you choose not to make that off-hand attack, then sure, you can use that bonus action for something else.
Right, but unless you miss (with your first attack) or want to add inconsequential damage after you hit (with your first attack), a rogue is better off using your bonus action for something else. @Blue simply rendered that as "it doesn't cost you your bonus action" (because you won't be using it to make a second attack).

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
PH page 195 says you're wrong about that.
I think you may have missed the thrust of my point, but it may be my fault for clarity.

When I said "If you hit...", I meant hitting with the first attack. Leaving you choice to do something else with your bonus action instead of TWF. I'll go correct my original post to make that clearer.

TWF is flexibility that you can spend a bonus attack if you miss on the first attack and need to deliver your sneak attack, but if you hit on your first attack you can instead spend your bonus attack in other ways. Vs. Steady Aim, where you have already spent your bonus attack.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If it turns into a TPK if you're being efficient you may have avoided that had you been in the front.

If you're the sole survivor the campaign is essentially over anyway may as well go down with the rest. In my campaigns a sole survivor would likely be retired anyway everyone roll up new PCs.
When you claim multiple times in a row that there's no way for a rogue to use their bonus action except completely self-servingly after being given examples of other ways, it is clear you aren't actually interested in discussing in good faith.

You're capable of bringing solid points and insightfulness to a discussion. Repeating rhetoric that disengage is just to run away from a TPK is beneath the quality of post you can do.

Zardnaar

Legend
When you claim multiple times in a row that there's no way for a rogue to use their bonus action except completely self-servingly after being given examples of other ways, it is clear you aren't actually interested in discussing in good faith.

You're capable of bringing solid points and insightfulness to a discussion. Repeating rhetoric that disengage is just to run away from a TPK is beneath the quality of post you can do.

Wasn't tongue in cheek enough for you?

I'm a fan of the new Tasha's rule, encourages rogues to be brave.

Rockyroad

Explorer
I also think Tasha's new optional rule for rogues is a welcome addition especially for ranged rogues, maybe not as beneficial for TWF rogues. It's so good that I almost wished I chose another subclass than Inquisitive, something that wasn't involved with helping me get sneak attack. But I'm still having fun with the roleplay of playing a detective type.

Zardnaar

Legend
I also think Tasha's new optional rule for rogues is a welcome addition especially for ranged rogues, maybe not as beneficial for TWF rogues. It's so good that I almost wished I chose another subclass than Inquisitive, something that wasn't involved with helping me get sneak attack. But I'm still having fun with the roleplay of playing a detective type.

My only real issue with it is that it buffs a rogue that doesn't need it more than most.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I think you may have missed the thrust of my point, but it may be my fault for clarity.
I see your point now - I had lost the antecedant.
I do think that additional factor when trying to get the same bang for the buck by using TWF is you lose the increased odds (39/400 rather than 1/20) for crit fishing with the sneak attack.

nexalis

Numinous Hierophant
I have been playing a Forest Gnome Arcane Trickster in a bi-weekly game since Tasha's came out. We are currently 4th level and here is a summary of my experiences:

With the new Steady Aim ability, I find it much easier to gain Advantage every turn with my Light Crossbow. Out of sheer stubbornness, I don't use an owl familiar. I use a weasel instead. It rides on my back and grants me Advantage whenever I use Booming Blade (it readies the Help action to trigger whenever I come within 5 feet of my target). I don't have Greenflame Blade, though I was planning to pick it up later. In practice, whenever I use Cunning Action Disengage with Booming Blade, I find my 25-foot movement rate fairly restrictive, particularly if I need to move through allies to get to where I want. As a result, I find myself relying on ranged attacks more than I would like. To resolve this problem, I am strongly thinking about picking up the Mobile feat at some point after capping my Dex.

All in all, I find that I am landing attacks much more reliably than just about everyone else on the team. I also love that I am able to contribute meaningfully to each and every pillar of the game. Although I have tried to play almost every other class, Rogue remains my favorite by a considerable margin. Every time I try to play something else, I find it somehow lacking! The changes in Tasha's have made the experience even more enjoyable for me since I no longer need to contrive a way to Hide every turn in order to gain Advantage.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads