• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Role Playing During Battle

Scorponox

First Post
Hi gamers, I was wondering what I should do in this situation. (I am a DM for 3.5)

In my group, there are 5 to 6 players in it. I like to keep a balance between battle and RPing. The only problem is, some of these players love the RPing part, while others seem to really like battles.

One of the players seem like they are bored during battle, so I sometimes try to RP something into the fight. A few weeks ago, in the middle of a battle, I had a pirate minion hop onto a wooden table and call out her character, challenging the character to a duel on the table.

The problem I run into is sometimes, they will encounter random monsters in the forest/desert/ocean, where the enemies can't talk back to them (well, unless they are intelligent, but they can't all be intelligent.)

So what to do in this situation? I don't want to have the non-battle players bored stiff during this time.

Also, there is another player who seems to be the opposite of this. He doesn't say much during the RP sessions, but seems to really like being a part of battles. Because he's a fighter, he probably deals the most consistent damage during fights, and really relishes the role. How can I make RP sessions work for him?

Wik

First Post
Why can't all the foes be intelligent? Happens that way in a LOT of movies. Why can't you do the same?

If you do have to throw in non-intelligent fights, throw in RP challenges along with them. Have your RP character try to talk the men-at-arms into fighting, instead of running away. Or "skill challenges" during a combat that will keep them interested.

As for your fighter in an RP session - with "those people", I've found the best way to keep them enterained is to let them intimidate NPCs. Basically, have them squirming in fear, and your tough guy player will probably have fun.

Oryan77

Adventurer
I've always tried to do this same type of thing. But I seem to fail miserably. Once combat starts, I go into tactical mode and throw roleplaying out the window (and I'm the DM). Every once in a while I will remember to roleplay an NPC during combat. But it seems forced and none of the players ever really react to it.

Why does it seem so hard to be a roleplayer and a tactical player? We always seem to be one or the other. :lol:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As for your fighter in an RP session - with "those people", I've found the best way to keep them enterained is to let them intimidate NPCs. Basically, have them squirming in fear, and your tough guy player will probably have fun.

Good idea!

MC Hammer used to go back to his old neighborhood to spread his earnings around. You know, give back to the community. One thing he'd do is find the big mean-looking guys just hanging out and ask them if they could stand by a door looking tough. For money. On his tours.

Many said yes.

Same deal here: have a PC (or NPC) get into a situation where he needs to have some "muscle" show up and just menace. Like "Nofee" and "Big Deal" in the Priceline commercials. Or the classic protection scheme dialog of "Nice _____________. Wouldn't want anything to...uhhhhh...happen to it."

A flannel shirt

First Post
What I like to do is give everyone something to do.

Easier said than done.

I am by far more of a tactical GM than a cinematic. I have not run a D&D campaign in a long time but I find that my encounter building in Star Wars can be used as a good example.

A group with a few Jedi, a hacker, a pilot etc. The Jedi have to guard the hacker so he can hack into the ship for the pilot to fly away. This was probably a bad example but I'm tired.

Let me try something in a D&D setting.

Without knowing your full party makeup I'm just going to go off a standard group. You have that fighter that doesn't seem to like to RP much. I would try and have another NPC fighter that is important that will ONLY talk to the fighter. It is all about putting people in the spot light. You just can't force it, if you feel your fighter just isn't getting across with this NPC then let him down easy. Don't just say the NPC fighter calls you an idiot and walks away.

NPC: "Ahh it is good to see another person that shares my love of fine armor and weapons."
DM: He extends his hand ONLY to George
Fighter shakes the NPC's hand.
NPC: "Why are you here friend?"
PC: ""To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
NPC: Wow you are ambitious!
PC: "Umm Beer!"
NPC: What?
PC: "Umm Beer!"
NPC: "Right this way, we can swap stories. I have something you might be interested in"

In the tavern they talk about a hidden treasure etc etc.

I like to use NPC banter during combat for the RPers. Give the thief something shiny that takes his attention away from the battle. The halfling is the only one small enough to fit in that hole in the wall. Cover him while he gets the magic key from the small room. The forest has come alive and the elf is the only one that can talk reason into the forest king while we stay off his minions.

Etc etc. I'm rambling.

Scorponox

First Post
Why can't all the foes be intelligent? Happens that way in a LOT of movies. Why can't you do the same?

Oh, when I say non intelligent, I'm talking about when they fight animals. There is not much opportunity to RP when they are fighting a basalisk. Well, unless I make the basalisk talk, but that is a bit unrealistic.

Ariosto

First Post
Role-playing during battle is the same as role-playing on other occasions. Interact with the secondary world from your role's position in it. Make decisions from that perspective. Use the resources available as you would if you were "in the shoes of" the persona in question.

A flannel shirt

First Post
Oh, when I say non intelligent, I'm talking about when they fight animals. There is not much opportunity to RP when they are fighting a basalisk. Well, unless I make the basalisk talk, but that is a bit unrealistic.

Just because an animal doesn't talk doesn't mean it can't interact with others. Animals have personalities too.

DM: The basilisk charges at you with bearing its razor sharp teeth. Just as it is about to spring its attack it stops and slowly starts backing away with its head lowered. It does not attack you this turn.

Fighter: "Kill it! Kill it!"
DM: {sigh}

NewJeffCT

First Post
Also, there is another player who seems to be the opposite of this. He doesn't say much during the RP sessions, but seems to really like being a part of battles. Because he's a fighter, he probably deals the most consistent damage during fights, and really relishes the role. How can I make RP sessions work for him?

With this guy, you're probably going to have to kind of spoon-feed him RP opportunities until he gets used to it.

Intimidate is a good one, as mentioned above.

Have an attractive barmaid or similar make a pass at fighter PC. That is one situation where he can say something at the table.

Then, if they do meet later on for dinner/dancing/entertainment or whatever people do on "dates" in the medieval world, you can have the barmaid's overprotective father show up... or, if the barmaid is older, have her jealous husband show up. In either case, the father/husband is a man of impeccable reputation in town. Can the PC defuse the situation with some words? You get a big penalty to intimidate if the opposing party is hostile.

Remove ads