Rolecall for the Dead - Bring out your dead!

jubei_555

First Post
Axis Strongheart: Died falling 200ft off the back of a Roc after killing it by himself. Just to make matters worse the Roc fell on top of him as well

DARKSUN 1996-1998
Hedone, Torn apart by a Dragon-King
Gyro, Templar Banshee Dwarf Flame Striked him
Dar 1, Cut in two by a Dimensional traveler
Dar 2, Kairasharga fireballed him- three times
Toni, At level 4 thought he could defeat a Stone Golem by himself while trapped in 30x15 room

FORGOTTEN REALMS
Rangar 1-3, Died in Pit Traps

EBERRON
Boddynoc Grinkle, Cursed to become a freewill undead through fiendish / aberration created poison then ran into a powerful cleric. Has "returned" but remains undead.
Chief, Destroyed by same powerful cleric
Balkrov, poisoned by an assassin then burned alive when mage caste firball into the bar he was paralyzed next to.

RAVENLOFT
Fearless Farrell, 1st ever DnD character, killed by ghouls then teammates even while I was creating character. welcome to DnD.

CALL OF C
Henry Wilson, Researcher consumed by white spiders except for his skin. This appeared several times with occult groups as an artifact (go figure)
Dean Scott, Mercenary whom saw no way out against creature over 50 feet tall. Gave it the finger then died ...grossly.

CHAMPIONS
forget his name , Personality was based on Jonny Bravo. Powerrs went nuclear while in Hawaii (on a vacation dear momma sent him on)

I know there are many more

FORGOTTEN REALMS

I had a player wearing Demon Armor whom thought he was invulnible. That was until a psionic giant struck him with a psionic charged boulder (nat 20- confirmed). This sent him over a 100 foot cliff. The giant he was battleing also fell. And yes- this giant's body fell on top of him. The damage was around 500.

diaglo

Adventurer
diaglo said:
Darius Kord slain by a troll and her bodyguards and then eaten
Ormand the Redd slain by bodyguards
Diedre slain by troll
Farned slain by troll
Houshang slain by troll
Pax slain by half orc assassin
Exler slain in ambush with half orcs
Rogg slain by gnolls

edit: also 8 other NPCs along for the ride with the PCs as troops under their command slain by owlbears
and nearly 20 other soliders poisoned by one of the PCs including the party's former post commander Sgt Guido

Jacob Half Ogre Monk -- then decided to be Half Elf --- ended up Human in the end. Biten in half by Wyvern
Wilby Cha (hireling) -- crushed by Earth Elemental
Balorn Candlehurst (NPC mentor)-- retributive strike cracking a staff of power

amazingshafeman

First Post
Well, since this weekend I'm giving the party the "You've had two levels to learn your characters abilities, I'm not pulling any punches ever again. There will now be things you MUST run from," speech (trust me, they need a speech), here's the list of close calls from our present campaign.

Gregorious, 1/2 elf ranger, too many to remember, but including being shot in the back by Zeke (PC) with a magic missile for threatening Zeke's genitilia and calling him a sissy after Zeke insisted on planning tactics for the next combat. We hand-waved this one away due to personal difficulties Zeke's player was having in which threatening his manhood was just bad. Also barely managed to talk himself out of being attacked by the party while he "guarded the door" in a fight against a wererat. Also was saved from arrest by Livvy when he insisted on using full force in a non-lethal raid on the local thieve's guild.

Crenius, teifling abjurer, poisoned into paralysis by giant spiders. He got one final Fort save, needed a 20 to withstand the poison long enough to carry the unconscious halfling off of the ship. He rolled a 20. One of 5 successful rolls he had the entire night.

Livvy, halfling rogue, poisoned and unconscious by giant spiders. Incidentally, she only ever gets hit while trying to distract opponents from Crenius or failing a tumble check. In a night of bad rolls, she failed every tumble check in every fight with giant spiders. Much like every giant spider made every saving throw vs. Crenius spells.

Now that the gloves are off, I don't expect Gregorious to make it. Crenius has his defensive spells, Livvy has a 20 Dex, and Zeke is rather tactically astute (warmage + good player). Gregorious....well, he's got two masterwork swords. (As a side note, G man is this player's second high Wisdom front line warrior type, the other being a monk. I don't think he gets it.)

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Erywin said:
Durin Helmstrike: Dwarf (Gestalt Barb/Bard) Munched by an Animated Noxic that got it's hide back

*sigh*

I ALMOST got to roll 20d6 on his unconscious body for immersion in lava... next round would've been a fast immolation. At least I got to melt his weapon. :)

-blarg

shilsen

Adventurer
From my two Eberron games (these are all virtual deaths since I allow usage of 3 action pts to stabilize a PC at -9 instead of actually dying).

Game 1:

Fett (changeling rogue) - Head smashed in by his warforged ally Krunch while both were under a confusion spell.

Charlotte (halfling rogue) - See above

Krunch (warforged fighter) - Beaten up on the roof of a lightning rail coach by two halfling barbarians

Krunch, Amaris (human ftr/clr), Thaylar (elven sorcerer) - Flattened, scorched and battered by a warforged titan and a wizard and artificer (both warforged) in the Mournland.

Amaris, Charlotte, Thaylar - Killed by a squad of warforged warriors, backed up by a wizard and two artificers, who they fought in the Cogs below Sharn.

Game 2:

Gareth (human paladin) - Rended by a horrid dire ape in an arena battle in Khyber's Gate, in the Cogs of Sharn.

Mithral 6 of 6 (warforged ftr/scout) - Torn apart in the same fight as Gareth (see above).

Nameless (human wiz) - got himself blasted by a Flame Strike trap and blew his Ref save.

Hmm, that would have been 9 deaths in 19 sessions in Game 1 and 3 deaths in 8 sessions in game two. Good thing I instituted the "save my ass" option.

Kid Socrates

First Post
Eberron (two of these are mine, two of these are the other player's):

Vel, the human ranger with a dinosaur companion, died when the carraige he was driving could not make the left turn at top speed downhill. He tried valiantly, but you canot cheat death with only a +3 on your skill check.
Corden d'Orien, the rogue of House Orien, died in the night after the crash, failing to avenge his fallen comrade. He survived the crash (Evasion!), but would not go gentle into that good night. Instead, he went armed.
Uther, the dwarven paladin, died on the Day of Mourning. He survived a warforged troll's rend, being fireballed in midair while falling off an airship, leaping from ship to ship (in full plate, no less), and fighting 25 vampires (in daylight with a clear advantage, but even still). He could not, however, save Cyre.
Botch, the warforged rogue, died on the Day of Mourning. He shot down four airships with a ballista and single-handedly defeated a warforged Titan in such a manner that its corpse blocked an entire gate, but he could not, in the end, save Cyre.

In the game that I run:

Kalil, from a spike trap underneath the city of Donnerich.
Kalil, from an explosion fighting a hulking chain undead fish.
Kalil, from being at ground zero of a firestorm.
Kalil, from a self-imposed dagger to the throat.

(There's a special realm my players go when they die, since I run two two-person games and don't want them to not take risks. So far the other three have avoided it. Kalil's gone there four times due to overestimating his abilities. He's paid the price, too -- max HP reduced, curses, and now he's drenched in terrifying plot.)

The Eberron ones were the only permanent deaths.

If we included death by campaign stagnation, my list would be much longer.

Altalazar

First Post
Boris the fighter (my first character) - killed by a pit trap in the first room of the first dungeon (Caves of Chaos)
Tim the Wizard - killed by a symbol of death cast by a demon
Just Jesus, holy warrior for goodness - killed by a large animated statute after charging it with holy fury
Riley, rogue/illusionist - eaten alive by a ghoul after being paralyzed (despite protection by a shield spell requiring a '20' to hit - still not sure to this day if DM remembered that)

I can't remember any other deaths off-hand.

Remove ads