• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rolemaster style parry

Grail Quest

First Post
I've been toying with the idea of allowing as a basic maneuver a Rolemaster-style parry:

A character may reduce his BAB by d points and receive a +d Dodge AC bonus against one opponent. He may do this for multiple opponents. He cannot reduce his BAB to less than 0. Reducing his BAB in this way can reduce the number of attacks available to him during the round.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
How about something like this? It doesn't quite get after what I think you're after, but it's not too bad an alternative.

Reactive Parry
Prerequisites: Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Improved Combat Expertise
Benefit: You can use the benefits of Combat Expertise even when it is not your turn (and even if you are surprised). If you are being attacked and wish to use these feats, you may do so. If your attack bonus is already lowered because you are already using these feats, you may increase your defense bonus, but not beyond your BAB. You may not decrease your defense bonus by using this feat (i.e. you cannot increase your defense against one opponent and then lower it against another in the same round). You may continue to increase your defense against subsequent opponents in the same round, but only to your maximum. If you are granted attacks of opportunity during the round, your attack bonus for each such attack could be different (albeit only progressively worse). After the last opponent has attacked you, even if you have not yet taken your turn, you must continue to fight at this adjusted attack bonus until your next turn.

Metagaming note: you cannot use this feat in immediate increments after the DM rolls for an opponent's attacks (i.e. Player: okay I increase my defense by 1; DM: he hits; player: okay I increase it by 2; DM: he hits; player: I increase it by 3, etc.). You must declare your intent before the DM rolls for a particular opponent.

Grail Quest

First Post
Actually, I wasn't looking to turn it into a feat. Rather, I was thinking of making it part of everyone's repetoire of options, as one of the possible combat options, and I was wondering what the consequences might be.

It would allow more skilled warriors to go on a true "Total Defense", and at the same time take into account multiple opponents and limit efficacy in such a case.

It also allows highly skilled warriors to somewhat reduce the effects of high BAB opponents hitting all the time regardless of AC.

Aaron2

Explorer
Grail Quest said:
Actually, I wasn't looking to turn it into a feat. Rather, I was thinking of making it part of everyone's repetoire of options, as one of the possible combat options, and I was wondering what the consequences might be.

I have also tried to add options such as this. For this type thing, I changed fighting defensively so that it the to hit penalty is limited to BAB or 4 (whichever is greater) and the AC bonus is equal to +1/2 the penalty. So a 6th level fighter can take a -6 penalty for a +3 AC bonus. I do the same with power attack, allowing those without the feat to trade 2 points of attack for +1 damage. The feats are still usefull since they make the option twice as effective.

As to making the trace twice as effective if applied to just one opponent, I'm not sure that's a good idea. I'm afraid it will lead to duals where both characters can only hit on a 20. [Aside: One house rule I'm considering is to have a 20 only automatically hit if the attacker is not currently doing a maneuver (power attack or expertise forex) that is reducing his to-hit chance.]

It also allows highly skilled warriors to somewhat reduce the effects of high BAB opponents hitting all the time regardless of AC.

One thing I noticed about Expertise. When a character takes a penalty to hit for a corresponding increase in AC, it helps the character that has the easier chance to hit regardless of who does the Expertise (since you are essentially applying an equal to-hit penatly to both characters).

For example, Adam needs a 12 or better to hit while Bob needs a 15 or better. If Bob says, "crap, he's kicking my butt I'll expertise for 3 points," the chance to hit changes to 15+ for Adam and 18+ for Bob. Bob's chance to hit dropped 50% (30%->15%) while Adam's only dropped 33% (45%->30%).

Aaron

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads