• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Roleplaying ('killer')in the news...

JustaPlayer

First Post
They have had the assassination game going on for a while now in a couple US cities.

Funny thing is some people get arrested because they look suspicious sneaking around targets houses and work places and such. I find that amusing.

Steverooo

First Post
Heh!

Not sure that "StreetWars" is the same as "Killer". "Killer" was played with rubber-suction-cup-tipped dart pistols, here, and has been outlawed on college campuses since a player pulled his on a campus security guard, one night, and got himself shot. The security guard was found not-guilty of any wrong-doing (it was dark, and the kid COULD HAVE had a real gun).

Still, nothing instill terror on the "tubes" like those bikini-clad babes wielding water pistols, eh? And this they call "roleplaying"? I wonder what roles they play? All Assassins? :heh:

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Steverooo said:
Still, nothing instill terror on the "tubes" like those bikini-clad babes wielding water pistols, eh? And this they call "roleplaying"? I wonder what roles they play? All Assassins? :heh:

The horror. They started shooting, and that other well-endowed woman only wore a white shirt and took a full hit in the chest. I was paralysed from the sheer terror. I started panting and drooling. FROM THE HORROR!

green slime

First Post
I know a couple of guys who managed to get people worked up here in Sweden.

They made a hit on a fellow player while he was in a hamburger joint. After a tip off, they got out of the car, loaded their water pistols from the container in the boot, went in "shot" the guy, and came out congratulating themselves on a successful hit, got in the car and sped off.

An old lady who saw them wielding pistol-like weapons, heard them talking, alerted the police to the incident (without seeing the "victim", but after noting make, model and license number of vehicle), and they got pulled over by a police swat team a couple of kilometres away, while crossing a bridge. The swat team wasn't using water-pistols.

After a few hours, they were released, and not charged, but all it would have taken was an less than sensible player and a nervous, trigger-happy policeman, and the whole story wouldn't be quite so funny.

sckeener

First Post
yeah...I'm not too into props that look real. A person that I gamed with years ago until he moved away ran a LARP here in Houston. It was a vampire LARP and they made up some FBI most wanted stuff...

anyway...I'll let Phil tell his tale. Here is an email I got back in Aug of 2003 from him about what happened.

My "It would be funny but it happened to me too" story:

I was driving through South Dakota when I was pulled over for having a headlight out. This was about a year ago, and the police were still worked up about that little Sept 11 thingy.

A little background first: I have a bad habit of not throwing anything away, and happened to be playing/running a Live action vampire game when I lived in Houston. Certain Individuals and I created some items as "Props"
that looked pretty authentic, especially to the untrained eye. If the individual in question wants to tell ya what we made he can do it. The only hint I'll give is that they definitly looked official.

So, anyways, I got pulled over by this SD state trooper, K-9 no less. My hair was about 2 feet long, shaved on the sides and back, pulled into a pony-tail. I was wearing my ":):):):) 'em if they can't take a joke -- God"
shirt. Ratty assed blue jeans, with a pile of trash in my backseat. He takes one look at me and says, "Sir, I am going to need you to step out of the vehicle."

Well, like I said, I used to live in Houston. So, I unbuckeled my seatbelt and put my windows up (Second nature when I get out of my car). In one fluid motion, I took my keys out of the ignition, locked the door and slammed it shut. As I did this he yelled at me to "leave the car running and the doors unlocked." After slamming the door shut, he told me to unlock it. Being the good subversive :):):):):):):) I am, I said, "Nope."

Then he asked if I had any weapons on me, luckily I had already taken my pocket knife outta my pocket to open a bag of beef jerky and it had fallen on the passenger side floor. I said no, and he told me to empty my pockets.
Seems I had a weapon after all, fingernail clippers, in my pocket. Then he asked me to step into his SUV.

As soon as I got in, his dog went apeshit and he asked, "Do you have any contraband in your vehicle?" To which I replied, "What do you mean by contraband?" Chalk one up to being either stupid or an :):):):):):):) who really had no plans to get home that evening. He explained, "Drugs, Weapons, other illegeal things." My smartassed reply, "Do you mean illegeal in the state of South Dakota, or just plain illegeal." Then he asked, "May I search your car?" I figured that I am already :):):):)ed right now, so I say, "Hell no."

We sat in silence for about 20 minutes, then he got out with the dog and had it sniff the car. He got back in and asked, "Where are you headed?" My reply of "Home" didn't seem to improve our relations much. Then he asked, "Where is your home?" To which I said, "South."
"Where were you comming from?"
"The east."

About 20 more minutes of silence. Then, "Can I search your vehicle?"
"Nope, Am I being detained?"
"Uh, no sir."

This went on for about 3 hours, eventually I was able to spot the in vehicle camera and noted that it was still recording. So he asked to search again.
Finally I capitulated! I said extremely clearly and loud, "Since I have now been detained against my will for 3 hours and I am very tired, I will, under duress, consent to an illeagle search of my car at this time." Then he asked me for my keys, and I told him they were on the trunk. He was a little pissed as he took the dog outta the SUV.

He tore the hell outta my vehicle, finding the item in question along with several wanted posters from a certain federal agency. Sadly these posters had my pic on them and Zeds pic too. *sigh* So this cop calls in the, according to him, "Forged items".

I explain to him back in the SUV that I did not attempt to impersonate anyone, nor did I identify myself as belonging to any organization. He said I was going to jail. I asked to speak with a lawyer. Then we shutup for about an hour and waited.

Finally a sedan pulled up behind the SUV, and a couple of individuals got out and confisicated the items in question. They asked several very odd questions about where I got the papers and the "badges" from. I refused to answer without consulting a lawyer. About 6 hours after I got pulled over, I was allowed to drive off.

Thankfully, it was about 8:00am by the time I got back home, so I went straight to a lawyer here in town, paid a small retainer, and sent off a request for my confiscated items back. The lawyer confirmed that it was not illeagle to own, or make said items under federal law. Espically since they were obvious fakes (I had a couple more in a box at home).

I still don't have my junk, and it was some of the coolest stuff we ever made... =(​

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I agree that those guys should use stuff that is clearly identifiable as a toy. It decreases the chance to get you killed, plus, those super soakers pack a lot more punch than those sissy "fake beretta" water pistols :D

But the thing about fake props reminds me of a story I read here.

Those guys were playing some live vampire roleplaying at the one guys home. Apparently, they used paper-stone-scissors to resolve any "roll" They'd raise their fist, state what they were doing, moving the fist foreward all the while and then put up the sign they were going for.

What they didn't know: Some armed fugitive on the run from the police was thought to be in their neighbourhood. So SWAT officer, complete with their assault rifles and combat gear, were going from house to house and appartment to appartment to ask people whether they have seen him and so on.

So they those guys are playing live vampire at home when the bell rings. One of them opens the door, sees "the best NPC props he ever saw" and gnever breaks character. What he does is raising the fist, waving it, while energetically saying "I punch you in the face". He found out that in a game of stone-paper-scissors, assault rifle but wins every time. When he came to after being knocked out by a police officer thinking he's being assaulted, the other players were trying to tell the guy that this is all a big misunderstanding.

Zander

Explorer
Bagpuss said:
Heck if they are playing I'm moving to London and signing myself up.
Every single woman in London looks like the ones pictures. And dresses that way too. Every day. Really. Oh, and the streets are paved with gold. :)

Remove ads