• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Roleplaying Programs?

mossfoot

First Post
Currently I'm using mIRC to do my online roleplaying. However, I'm looking for something new and easy to use for my somewhat technolgically impared group.

So what I'd like to find (if it exists) is:

A bare bones easy to use chat program with a dice roller built in (map function and other features nice but entirely optional)

A dicebot that can be added to MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, or some other standard Messenger program.

Any suggestions?

mossfoot

First Post
I've come across this program recently while looking for an alternative to mIRC and other chat room based roleplaying programs

http://www.triaxe.co.uk/dnd/index.php

This seems like a simple, functional no-nonsense program. Which makes me wonder why the hell I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I found it hidden away essentially on an obscure website. I've tested it with two people and it works great! It has dice rolling, private messageing, some basic GM tools for indicating NPCs and actions, even a gridded white board so you can show people where they are going and what they are doing.

The only downside I've seen is that you can't use + or - with the dice roller.

Has anyone tried this before? Is there a downside I haven't noticed yet or something?

sunbeam60

First Post
mossfoot said:
(...) something new and easy to use for my somewhat technolgically impared group. (...) Any suggestions?

Oh yes. Fantasy Grounds (http://www.fantasygrounds.com) is the best d20 tool you'll ever see. It doesn't try to be everything for everyone, but sticks to essentially emulating a table. You actually roll dice, and share sheets with the players, not much different to how you'd normally interact with your players.

Worth a try; demo is free. Player license is $20.

Bjorn

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads