Roleplaying the Lawful/Chaotic Alignment Axis

G

GalvasEinlander

Here...take this.

My devotion is to My Goddess Tiamat. And I must say, I have surprised myself a great deal. I thought, with along with the new aspect of life and a slightly new purpose, I would stray from my previous outlook on life, but my belief system is nearly the same, even though my faith wavered. I learned that it doesn't matter as long as you have a belief in something...whether it be a God or a cricket, it matters not...everyone, whether they admit it or not, believes in something...

Lord Galvas Einlander:smirk: :angel:

F

Fenmarel

Krystal,

You read that statement in the Monster Manual about the alignments not being set in stone. Yes it is possible to have characters that have different alignments such as fallen celestials as well as risen devils/demons. Case in point, according to second edition materials as well as some of the stuff printed by Green Ronin Press refers to a fallen deva, hmm or it might have been solar forgive me but I don't have the books to actually prove that statement, that became a Lord of the Nine(ruler of one of the levels of Baator). Though I couldn't find reference to Graz'zt leaning towards the lawful axis, I can see at times any type of being perhaps "slipping" if you will at times that might give them some tendencies. If, as Jax does, you play in second edition being of a different alignment, meaning fully of a different alignment, as the plane you are now inhabiting your character could die very quickly.

Alignments can be very hard to play at times. I have seen 20 year role play vets still have problems playing either law or chaos. I once had a player try to justify his actions by saying it was ordered chaos, he had read too many of the Recluse novels heh. One thing that I have seen alot of people do with the lawful/? alignments is that they somehow get in their head that the character MUST obey ALL laws at ALL times. Unless I am mistaken a paladin's code is more important to him/her than laws made by men/women that might come in conflict with that code. I always took lawful as being devoted to certain ideals not that the character blindly obeys any law written down. On the other hand I never thought of chaotic characters going about breaking every law they came across either. They might rebel against certain ideas that are unsettling to them openly or use more discreet methods.

Recently I have started playing an RPG that has no alignments what so ever in any way shape or form. At first I was a little hesitant but then I realized that was a more "realistic" way of role playing. Even the most "holy" of people IRL have some dark thoughts at times, some even acting out on their thoughts thinking that in some way what they are doing is "justified" when to everyone else it looks vile and sickening. On the other hand even a cold blooded killer has moments of "goodness" that shine through at some points in their lives though usually they are overshadowed by the cruelty that they have inflicted on their fellow man.

I try not to make alignment important in my campaigns. That way characters have more freedom in what they do. Though at times they might have wished they had stayed a certain alignment when they come across something that is only meant for someone of a certain alignment.

Even though I do have those ideas about the characters I still believe that in some areas alignments are very very important. A paladin going chaotic or a monk going true neutral would cause them to stop advancing in their class. Alignment is both a tool and a reference to the character, that doesn't mean the alignment makes the character. There is much more to the character than just being a L/G paladin of Tyr. There are his dreams, fears, ambitions or lack there of, family, commrades, enemies and many other aspects that help form the character. Those last things are more important in a FFRP sanctioned area than alignments in alot of people's opinions. Though I do believe that IF the character is based off of DnD then the player should TRY and incorporate the characters alignment in their roleplaying. That is just one more aspect to use to build on your character.

Most likely I haven't made a bit of sense in all that rambling so I will head out and leave this discussion to those more learned and the ones that know how to put their thoughts down in a more eloquent manner.

Jason

Remove ads