• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

roll20 game Pathfinder rules Forgotten Realms setting during spellplague (between 3E & 4E)

afgun

Villager
Have an opening or two in our roll20 game (we use Skype for audio) because life gets in the way and has taken some players from us (cancer is kicking the ass of one regular and parental responsibilities the other 2). We play with Pathfinder rules in the Forgotten Realms with some house rules thrown in on top of things. I'm a long time DM just getting up to speed on Pathfinder, so you'll have to go easy on me.

Established mature group (OK, chronologically only), highly sarcastic, so you'll need to be witty and wear a thick skin to fit in. Men or women are welcome as we've had both genders sit at the real table with us, though we're all guys right now.

We play Monday nights 8pm ET for about 3 hours.

Interested? Drop me a line!

Tovec

Explorer
I'm totally interested. This actually sounds ideal for me.

I'm familiar with Pathfinder. Never used roll20 but my assumption is that it is similar to Maptools (which I have briefly used). That lack of familiarity is my only real sticking point. I have also briefly played in FR, but I have some basic knowledge of it and its workings.

Few questions:

1. What level.
2. Stat generation method.
3. Any restrictions? I'm going to limit myself to only paizo stuff, and actually stay away from traits and what not. So just a plain character from the books. But I need to know if I should stay away from the APG or Ultimates.
4. Any other details I need to know, you mentioned houserules?
5. Are there other characters, if so what? I like to complement the party when possible.
6. Sort of covered in 3, but I'm assuming you are not using any other modules. So, if you are then let me know.
7. I would also like some sort of idea of what we are doing during the spellplague. Looking to help it, stop it, survive it?

My contact email is sf_Tovec@hotmail.com or via PM here. I'll wait a day or two and then send you a PM myself.
I would like to try a martial class (haven't really had a chance since I started playing Pathfinder), but I'm open to running anything depending on what the group needs. I played a Witch (mostly off-healer) in the last (short lived) game I was in.

Edit: Just realized a friend of mine would probably be interested too. Do you mind if I ask him/direct him here?

afgun

Villager
Response to Tovec's questions

Sorry I didn't see your response... I never got notified of the post!

1. What level
The APL just hit 4, I believe. Our typical MO is to start characters at 50% experience so that they aren't struggling to keep up with powerful characters.

4d6 drop the lowest, arrange as you like.

3. Any restrictions? I'm going to limit myself to only paizo stuff, and actually stay away from traits and what not. So just a plain character from the books. But I need to know if I should stay away from the APG or Ultimates.
We are currently allowing core and APG except no gunslingers.

We are playing magic with a mana system even for wizards and clerics. If you want to play a magic-using class, I'll provide the rules

5. Are there other characters, if so what? I like to complement the party when possible.
Halfling Priest of Yondolla
Human Sorcerer / Human Monk (characters switch - interesting game mechanic we came up with)
Human druid
Half-orc fighter
Dwarven fighter (player on hiatus due to medical issue; being run as a henchman right now by one of the other players)

6. Sort of covered in 3, but I'm assuming you are not using any other modules. So, if you are then let me know.
If you want something not in those 2 books, ask! I'm a flexible DM. I will evaluate and if your request does not seem unbalancing or counter to the campaign, I'll typically allow it.

7. I would also like some sort of idea of what we are doing during the spellplague. Looking to help it, stop it, survive it?
The game is set 30 years after the spellplague. Most of the high level NPCs you may be familiar with were killed by it. This provides a reason for adventurers. There are still plenty of areas where fragments of the spellplague are still active. One of the players has a spellscar, for instance...
Arcane magic wielders are looked up with distrust at a minimum and often hatred, due to the chaos that ensued when arcane magic was wielded during the time of the spellplague. Those sentiments have really not dulled as one might expect with the passage of time. So playing a wizard/witch/sorcerer/etc presents a number of role-playing challenges.

The setting has some industrious gnomes and others who are starting to create airships and steam railways, though the group has not yet encountered any, several party members are intrigued by the concept...

My contact email is <email deleted> or via PM here. I'll wait a day or two and then send you a PM myself.
I would like to try a martial class (haven't really had a chance since I started playing Pathfinder), but I'm open to running anything depending on what the group needs. I played a Witch (mostly off-healer) in the last (short lived) game I was in.

Edit: Just realized a friend of mine would probably be interested too. Do you mind if I ask him/direct him here?
Go right ahead!

Read more: <link trimmed>

Tovec

Explorer
Sorry I didn't see your response... I never got notified of the post!
You wouldn't. I didn't quote or mention you. You should now though. It wasn't a long time or anything I was just slightly worried due to the activity I saw that you may not see my reply. We're all good now.

1. What level
The APL just hit 4, I believe. Our typical MO is to start characters at 50% experience so that they aren't struggling to keep up with powerful characters.
So, I'm building using a certain EXP value? Alright. I'll have to brush up on such, I haven't used EXP much. Give me the amount I would have and I'll go from there.

4d6 drop the lowest, arrange as you like.
Sounds good.

We are currently allowing core and APG except no gunslingers.
Gunslingers aren't in the APG. They're in Ultimate Combat. But that is fine I have no interest in them. At the moment I'm considering a Rogue due to the party set up - but I really wanted to try a Fighter (not doing that now) or a Cavalier (still considering it).

We are playing magic with a mana system even for wizards and clerics. If you want to play a magic-using class, I'll provide the rules
This does sound interesting. I don't plan on playing a caster though, it looks like those are decently covered. I'll stick to something martial. I am curious to see what the rule is but that can wait for later.

Halfling Priest of Yondolla
Human Sorcerer / Human Monk (characters switch - interesting game mechanic we came up with)
Human druid
Half-orc fighter
Dwarven fighter (player on hiatus due to medical issue; being run as a henchman right now by one of the other players)
My usual character choice (in 3.5) was Rogue or Barbarian. I'm interested in the Cavalier this time so I'll have to think on it a little. Looks like a good mix too. You say halfling Priest, what book is priest in?

If you want something not in those 2 books, ask! I'm a flexible DM. I will evaluate and if your request does not seem unbalancing or counter to the campaign, I'll typically allow it.
I have no real interest in anything outside those books. The last game I was in allowed everything that was on the PFSRD, so I'm a little thankful you are using a more limited selection. Fewer choice points for me too. Good to know.

The game is set 30 years after the spellplague. Most of the high level NPCs you may be familiar with were killed by it. This provides a reason for adventurers. There are still plenty of areas where fragments of the spellplague are still active. One of the players has a spellscar, for instance...
Arcane magic wielders are looked up with distrust at a minimum and often hatred, due to the chaos that ensued when arcane magic was wielded during the time of the spellplague. Those sentiments have really not dulled as one might expect with the passage of time. So playing a wizard/witch/sorcerer/etc presents a number of role-playing challenges.
My knowledge of FR isn't extensive. I know the basic set up more than anything else. If there is something I should research then let me know, otherwise I'll just learn as I go. I can research on the wiki and through some of the 3.5 FR books.

The setting has some industrious gnomes and others who are starting to create airships and steam railways, though the group has not yet encountered any, several party members are intrigued by the concept...
Sounds cool. Maybe a rogue with plenty of skills will be more valuable.

Beyond that, email me (or PM) and I can give you my skype name. I'm assuming there is a game this Monday? I'll put together all I can and hopefully join then.

EDIT:

Hit point generation! How to? Average, roll, max, min? (Most often I find it's max first, average all others but every game is different.)

Last edited:

afgun

Villager
So, I'm building using a certain EXP value? Alright. I'll have to brush up on such, I haven't used EXP much. Give me the amount I would have and I'll go from there.
I have queried the players to get current XP totals. Will let you know shortly. Figure on 2nd level ish...

Gunslingers aren't in the APG. They're in Ultimate Combat. But that is fine I have no interest in them. At the moment I'm considering a Rogue due to the party set up - but I really wanted to try a Fighter (not doing that now) or a Cavalier (still considering it).
The party has done OK to date without a thief; play what you want. As the DM it's my job to tailor adventures around the party. :)

My usual character choice (in 3.5) was Rogue or Barbarian. I'm interested in the Cavalier this time so I'll have to think on it a little. Looks like a good mix too. You say halfling Priest, what book is priest in?
Cleric. Sorry for confusion. :) Cleric of the FR Halfling goddess Yondalla (though Terry can't spell or pronounce anything right, so it's "Yolanda" to him. Hilarious!)

My knowledge of FR isn't extensive. I know the basic set up more than anything else. If there is something I should research then let me know, otherwise I'll just learn as I go. I can research on the wiki and through some of the 3.5 FR books.
I haven't set things up depending on a knowledge of the FR. You can use your knowledge skills when needing to know something and I'll supply it to you if you make the roll. :) I've deviated from canon anyways. It's just a rich world that I can mine for campaign setting and ideas.

Indeed a rogue would be invaluable simply for the flanking/backstab.

Hit point generation! How to? Average, roll, max, min? (Most often I find it's max first, average all others but every game is different.)
Max HP for first level, rolled after that.

silentbob27

First Post
Originally Posted by Tovec

Indeed a rogue would be invaluable simply for the flanking/backstab.

What, watching the Half-orc open everything expecting to be blown up or gassed not fun enough for you? :p

afgun

Villager
What, watching the Half-orc open everything expecting to be blown up or gassed not fun enough for you? :p
Oh, it's fun for me, but everybody gnashes their teeth after the druid listens for noises and then runs when you lumber over to "finesse" things open. I find your method of trap detection to be... opportunistic. For me.

Remove ads