D&D 5E Roll20 Tutorial for Creating an Awesome Monster Manual

ehenning

Explorer
I have a question: once I create my monsters, it's great for that campaign. But if I create a new campaign, how do I get my monsters imported to the new campaign?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giant2005

First Post
That was well worth the watch. Until I saw it I had no idea that the "use Selected Token" button allowed the token to remember its size, nametag, and anything you input on that level. I had just assumed that that button was simply an alternative for uploading a new token.

Kryx

Explorer
If you use the Shaped sheet you can drag & drop from the compendium or import from JSON if you're a Pro.

Radaceus

Adventurer
cool ideas,
I set up all my creatures and npc's actions for rolls, I also use the lower (place macro on Tab Bar ) area for perception, stealth, initiative, and saves. It's a generic macro that grabs from target token.

We also used the new shaped sheets which are awesome!

That being said. Being time poor, I stopped spending to much time setting up the tokens. I set up the weapons, armor, and abilities, and put all their stat block information on the bio pages. I have most damage spells macro'd and I i set up a blank template sheet with all these spells, and just copy it for spellcasters, these spells are then accessible up above via the token actions. Also I have all the spells linked to handouts, so on the bio pages I can click the link for a quick reference of the spell. Players have these also , but they tend to use their character sheet for casting. This means I edit the spellcaster bio page, deleting the spells not being used, and save.

I have two monitors and have my cliff notes, stat blocks, DM minimap if need/drawn up (dungeon crawls), along with the adventure I have written all at a glance on the other monitor. This saves me tons of set up time.

LapBandit

First Post
If you use the Shaped sheet you can drag & drop from the compendium or import from JSON if you're a Pro.

This guy created the Shaped Sheet for Roll20 and a few libraries around it that do a lot of what OP is talking about for free. This combined with the TokenAction script and the new scripts being developed for Shaped will eliminate almost all of the manual labor of being a DM with regards to setting up monsters/NPCs. I thank this guy every chance I get and I encourage anyone running on Roll20 to spend the time (not much really) to learn how the ecosystem of Shaped Sheet stuff works.

Kryx

Explorer
[MENTION=6778098]Us[/MENTION]: Thanks so much for the high praise. I'm very happy to hear these kind of unsolicited messages - they encourage me to keep working on it. :)

For those interested you can read the forum thread or simply select the shaped sheet from the list of available character sheets when creating a campaign.

Cody C. Lewis

First Post
First, thanks for all the kind words guys.

I have a question: once I create my monsters, it's great for that campaign. But if I create a new campaign, how do I get my monsters imported to the new campaign?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now as far as moving your guys to another campaign...

The method is through the character vault. You gain access to the character vault through the $5 sub. So so so worth it in my opinion for the dynamic lighting.

Now, if you don't have the character vault you could either:
Just run another game in the same game an utilize the folders to separate the campaigns; or you could just duplicate the campaign. This is obviously not quite as neat as the Character Vault, but it would be a free workaround.

ehenning

Explorer
Now as far as moving your guys to another campaign...

The method is through the character vault. You gain access to the character vault through the $5 sub. So so so worth it in my opinion for the dynamic lighting.

Now, if you don't have the character vault you could either:
Just run another game in the same game an utilize the folders to separate the campaigns; or you could just duplicate the campaign. This is obviously not quite as neat as the Character Vault, but it would be a free workaround.

This makes perfect sense. I haven't pulled the trigger on a paid account yet, but this is yet another reason to do so. Thank you.

Remove ads