• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Roll20 Updates To The D&D 5E SRD

Roll20, one of the world largest virtual tabletop platforms and RPG digital tools suites, has rolled out an interactive rules compendium and a D&D 5E character sheet. "The 5th Edition OGL Character Sheet is a fast, easy-to-use document that will help players create their favorite new characters and import them into any 5th Edition game. The 5th Edition SRD Compendium brings the complete rules for the 5th Edition SRD to gamers, and is searchable by category, keyword, or reference. And the best part is how simple it is to integrate both tools into gameplay. Basically, playing 5th Edition on Roll20 just got way easier!"

Roll20, one of the world largest virtual tabletop platforms and RPG digital tools suites, has rolled out an interactive rules compendium and a D&D 5E character sheet. "The 5th Edition OGL Character Sheet is a fast, easy-to-use document that will help players create their favorite new characters and import them into any 5th Edition game. The 5th Edition SRD Compendium brings the complete rules for the 5th Edition SRD to gamers, and is searchable by category, keyword, or reference. And the best part is how simple it is to integrate both tools into gameplay. Basically, playing 5th Edition on Roll20 just got way easier!"

The character sheet is auto-calculating. The compendium includes spells, items, monsters, classes, conditions, attributes, rules and so on. It has a search function and a range of filters, and it's crowdsourced - anybody can add to it. It's also optimised of mobile devices, which makes it a really interesting alternative to the tried-and-tested HTML wiki SRD method for use at the game table, whether online or in person.

Want more information? There's a nifty video below! And then go check out Roll20.

[video=youtube;zXNSGeG_sh4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXNSGeG_sh4[/video]​

Psikerlord#

Explorer
As far as I know, it's never really explicit on which number goes where. It's not like police are going to come and arrest you for doing it different than other people. personally I never put the scores in the big box because.. well how many times during a game do you actually use ability scores rather than mod bonuses. Im willing to be that it's literally only during character creation and the only reason to use them is to actually -get- your mods. Ability scores should be killed off entirely. Just generate them to get the mods, and then be done with it. They are wasting space on sheets.
This is why 6e should go back to roll under ability scores ;)

Psikerlord#

Explorer
After months of playing things fast and loose, using Roll20 basically as a map and dice roller, but ignoring probably 90% of its functionality, I decided to buckle down and fully fill out the 5e community-built character sheets and NPC sheets, and utilize common macros. Just when I finally got all the PCs done and was working on monsters and NPCs, I looked something up and came across the new character sheet and Compendium. The drag-and-drop feature was too good to pass up.

So, some thoughts. It's still a little buggy. The spell Blindness/Deafness shows up when you search for it, but there's no information. Sometimes a monster doesn't fully auto-populate when you drag it to the NPC sheet. On NPC sheet, you're limited on how many actions you can add; eventually, it doesn't scroll down far enough for the "Add" button to pop up. Still, accounting for the learning curve, and how it differs from the old community built sheet, it's pretty good. It follows the form of the official character sheet, which makes for ease of use. Ability checks, skill checks, saving throws, and attacks are all on the same page, you don't even really have to scroll down. You don't have to, say, go to the Attack tab and click a button. You just hover your mouse over the attack, and click when it turns red.

The Compendium is super useful, especially for quick rule look up during the game.

I'm just hoping the documentation gets filled out soon.
that sounds pretty bloody great - cant wait to try it out! go roll20!

jbOKgamer

Villager
For those who play in Roll 20 the sheet author of the 5e shape sheet has posted that he is reworking his sheet to make use of the SRD (the drag and drop ability, not everything in D&D is in SRD so still be prepared to enter your own stuff) and Script Works.

Note I tried for myself this new 5e OGL sheet and had many problems with sheet losing and then not accepting new attacks. I also had sheet that refused to change output for spells (so I could see description from SRD, but could not roll an attack or damage). The sheet will acknowledge a multiclass character, but spell page only has spot for 1 spellcasting ability which it uses for attack modifier and spell DC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads