• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rolling for Ability Scores or Point Buy

What is your preference to generate ability scores

• I'd always have Point Buy if I could.

Votes: 55 35.7%
  • I'd rather have Point Buy if possible.

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • I'm okay with either.

Votes: 25 16.2%
  • I'd rather have Rolling if possible.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • I'd always have Rolling if I could.

Votes: 24 15.6%

Yora

Legend
There's a number of people who are quite vocal about a strong preference for Point Buy, but also frequent debate about the best way to roll for ability scores.

But I am wondering how many people actually prefer either system.
Do you take whatever is used in a campaign without preference, do you prefer one of them, or do you even petition the group and the GM to use the one you prefer?

Last edited:

ferratus

Adventurer
I generally prefer rolling. I'm not really into char-op or character builds, nor do I necessarily sit down to create a character with the character concept already thought out.

I generally prefer 6+2d6, in order, for my character generation method when I play Basic or 2e. When I play 3e or 4e, I use point buy, because you can't leave anything to chance in those systems and still have a viable character.

Luckily, with the 5e playtest, I can report that your saving throws and attacks are still pretty good with sub-optimal scores, due to the lower defenses and attack rolls of the monsters.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I'm the only "always rolling if I could" so far. Mind you, I'm in support of three methods being in the 5e book as options (array, roll, point), but personally, yeah, it's always rolling.

slobo777

First Post
Low-lethality campaign -> Point-Buy
High-lethality campaign -> Rolling

Or:

Short adventure -> don't care, rolling is just fine

Long campaign -> want PC/PC balance in effectiveness, and point buy

One of my less enjoyed campaigns was an attempt to play in a Marvel Heroes game using the default random stat and power generation. It would have been fine for a 3 session adventure. As a campaign it was ridiculous. Week after week with half the group ineffective, whilst the other half did all the adventuring . . .

Original Gamma World was similar (but not quite as bad as I recall)

Compared to that my usual experiences when rolling for characters in D&D is generally ok. But still I strongly prefer point buy.

One way you can roll and still have mathematic balance is to somehow pool the rolling, so that any player can have what's available. E.g. everyone rolls one set of stats. Then each player can use any of the arrays.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
I want the game to support both.

In my campaigns these days, I offer the choice: roll 4d6-drop-lowest, standard array 16/15/13/12/10/8, or 28-point buy (3.5e method).

When creating my own characters, I much prefer point buy (although I'll strongly consider using a standard array).

I voted point-buy. All chars are "equal". No complaining b/c someone rolled crappy stats.

If you want a more lethal campaign you can use poin-buy just fine, reduce the number of points one can spend.

But anyway I hope that there are several options for generating ability scores presented in the PHB 1. So that everyone can have fun.

S

Sunseeker

I prefer rolling, and I think such randomization should be the default, but I support point-buy as a core alternate stat-generation method, as well as arrays.

I am pretty generous when it comes to rolling, and provide my players with an array that's pretty nice as well. Point-buy math always seems questionable to me, but I feel if it can simulate an average array, then it's fine.

For clarification here's how I roll.
4d6, drop lowest, reroll 1's or add to other 3(it produces some interesting player dichotomies). Personal choice: reroll anything 10 or lower.

Array:
18, 16, 16, 14, 12, 10.

I generally prefer to have to tune UP encounters as opposed to tune them down. It's easier to throw in 10 more kobolds than to DM-fiat the enemy missing more or getting hot more.

Jupp

Explorer
Rolling for the win, because that's how our fore-bearers did it. And it was wise and we saw the truth in how they did it.

We usually roll 7 times 4D6, ditch the lowest score and ignore a 3 or 4.

Tallifer

Hero
Let the player who wants to roll, roll three six sided dice in order in front of the group. Meanwhile let me buy my ability scores.

Remove ads