• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rolling to Hit: A Sacred Cow that should have been slain?

Gloombunny

First Post
I haven't played WoW in a couple years, but I recall quite a lot of missed attacks and resisted spells when I did. So I have no idea what the WoW comparison is about.

What I thought of when I saw this thread was the Street Fighter RPG from White Wolf, which despite its cheesiness honestly had a pretty awesome combat system. And in that, you didn't have to roll to hit. Unless your opponent spent their action on some sort of defense, you'd automatically hit and then just roll your damage. And you know what? It worked just fine. I don't think it's possible to modify 4e to work that way; it's too fundamental a change to just patch in. But the idea that no rolling to hit necessarily leads to boring combat is, frankly, absurd and ignorant. Somebody else mentioned chess, that's another good example. Just because increasing your chance of hitting is a big tactical thing in D&D doesn't mean it's the only possible source of tactics, or of excitement.

But yeah. Trying to make it happen in D&D? Not a good idea.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads