Roma Imperious as PDF. Advice?

marketingman

Explorer
GMSkarka said:
Yes--keep in mind that a depressing large segment of the retail community are not thinking like businessmen, but rather like gamers....and like many gamers, they demonstrate the behavior that I have printed out and hanging over my desk (as a reminder when dealing with vocal internet criticism):

"Bitch, whine, piss, moan....and BUY ANYWAY."

SO true so true.. JUst remember a vocal minority is still a minority and gamers voice with the money..

madelf

First Post
Y'know, I was thinking about this subject and happened to see a particular banner that seems to be popping up rather often across the net lately....

And I realised something.

No matter what some of us might think of DriveThruRPG and its practice of using DRM... chances are they've done a the PDF industry a bit of a service. By getting a sizable number of print publishers together and putting out PDFs of their print books, they've effectivly gotten a significant number of the big guns in publishing to collectively thumb their noses at all those retailers who are complaining about the existing of books in both formats.

The retailer won't have much left to sell if he boycotts all those companies.

So thanks to DTRPG, the retailer's leverage against PDF/print products now really is nothing but noise.

Last edited:

HinterWelt

First Post
madelf said:
Y'know, I was thinking about this subject and happened to see a particular banner that seems to be popping up rather often across the net lately....

And I realised something.

No matter what some of us might think of DriveThruRPG and its practice of using DRM... chances are they've done a the PDF industry a bit of a service. By getting a sizable number of print publishers together and putting out PDFs of their print books, they've effectivly gotten a significant number of the big guns in publishing to collectively thumb their noses at all those retailers who are complaining about the existing of books in both formats.

The retailer won't have much left to sell if he boycotts all those companies.

So thanks to DTRPG, the retailer's leverage against PDF/print products now really is nothing but noise.

Well, I am coming around to what everyone is saying here. I think it is a combination of a number of the points everyone has said. I will most likely move forward with this project.

As for DTRPG, yes, it changes things but remember, small publishers are not the same as not carrying something like Eden. It has changed but I think we will need to observe to see what the actual results are. A number of items including greater legitimacy (not that the PDF market was illegitiamate to start with), forcing some retailers to realize PDFs can help sales, and many more that I am not thinking of right now. :)

Thanks,
Bill

scourger

Explorer
Well, I checked out the blurb on Roma Imperious at the web site. One thing keeps me from being interested in buying it as a pdf or print prodict: it's not d20. Odd, as the original question is posted to this site.

What gets me interested in a product are the free downloads (teasers or previews or enhancements). It doesn't matter if it's a product in pdf or print or both. (I generally prefer print products, however.) For example, I would not have purchased Skull & Bones had it not been for the great, free adventure and maps on the Green Ronin web site. I ran that adventure without the book and used the maps, but I wanted more information. So, I went to my FLGS and asked them to order it. I think they got two copies. I bought one, and the other is off the shelves as well [sold]. Although I use less than 1/4 of the contents, I am very staisfied with it. I am a little disappointed to see the co-authors philosophy here (...BUY ANYWAY), but he's entitled to his opinion.

Coincidentally, this thread and replies promtped me to check out Fvlminata d20. That looks like it has potential. I would prefer it in print than as a pdf, but I might get in as a pdf to check it out for cheaper since it may not be exactly my cup of tea. There's just something better about having a written document.

HinterWelt

First Post
scourger said:
Well, I checked out the blurb on Roma Imperious at the web site. One thing keeps me from being interested in buying it as a pdf or print prodict: it's not d20. Odd, as the original question is posted to this site.

What gets me interested in a product are the free downloads (teasers or previews or enhancements). It doesn't matter if it's a product in pdf or print or both. (I generally prefer print products, however.) For example, I would not have purchased Skull & Bones had it not been for the great, free adventure and maps on the Green Ronin web site. I ran that adventure without the book and used the maps, but I wanted more information. So, I went to my FLGS and asked them to order it. I think they got two copies. I bought one, and the other is off the shelves as well [sold]. Although I use less than 1/4 of the contents, I am very staisfied with it. I am a little disappointed to see the co-authors philosophy here (...BUY ANYWAY), but he's entitled to his opinion.

Coincidentally, this thread and replies promtped me to check out Fvlminata d20. That looks like it has potential. I would prefer it in print than as a pdf, but I might get in as a pdf to check it out for cheaper since it may not be exactly my cup of tea. There's just something better about having a written document.

Hmm,
Sorry if this is supposed to be a d20 site only. It said e-publishing and I thought this sub-forum was about epublishing in general. My apologies if that is not the case.

As for previews and the like, hmm, we haven't officially launched the site. We will have previews, downloads, the CHARGen, our online character generator and storage system, will soon be updated for Roma. Bare with us, we are small but determined. :D

As for Fulminata, I have only had it described to me but if you are interested in that I doubt you would be interested in Roma. Roma is firmly in the realm of "Alternate History meets Roman Fantasy". Roma will be out late this month or early August as a hard cover book 336 pages long. It should show up at GEN Con and your local store shortly there after.

Thanks for your input, it is always appreciated.

Bill

Remove ads