Romance of the 3 kingdoms

Black Omega

First Post
Well, the genre is pretty much the same for all the books, as far as I recall. I could do any of those three with OA.

I'm not sure how I'd try to do wuxia in d20 without quite a few new feats and house rules.

PA

First Post
Linch9 said:
That would be just like Rokugan.

Not really. Rokugan has a stronger Japanese flavor.

Linch9 said:
By mixing them together, you began to lose the overall theme of each book. i.e. So, are you character going to restore the kingdom or go to search for Buddha's writing or to overthrow the govenrment?

While I agree about the "one book one flavor" theme, it is with nuances: the point is less about the goal of the game (what if I want to fight the government under the 3K era? it's not like it did not happen, right?) than about its feel: notably, Journey to the West is much more high fantasy than either RTK or Outlaws of the Marsh / All Men Are Brothers. RTK has a pervasive political background, which affects even those who have little interest in politics. Etc.

Linch9 said:
The campaign that are successful are those that have a single clear define goal.

Agreed.

PA

First Post
Black Omega said:
Well, the genre is pretty much the same for all the books, as far as I recall. I could do any of those three with OA.

I'm not sure how I'd try to do wuxia in d20 without quite a few new feats and house rules.

Well, that's why we need a new RPG. I don't think that Chuan was speaking about making a RTK campaign book for d20 modern. I think he's more of the OGL bent, which would allow for more freedom.

If I'm wrong, Chuan, correct me.

As far as OA is concerned... Hm, nay. Many an aspect doesn't really fit RTK. Too much magic, for one.

[Edit: "for one" and not "for once" :p]

Last edited:

Black Omega

First Post
PA said:
As far as OA is concerned... Hm, nay. Many an aspect doesn't really fit RTK. Too much magic, for one.

Well, I didn't say take -all- the OA book.:)

I do think Rokugan fits DnD a little better then RTK. A little. Rokugan is at least samurai drama where most fights will have heavier armor and there is a higher level of magic, and little meaningful martial arts. even if the 'kill people, take their toys' aspect of DnD doesn't fit at all.

For DnD in general the overall importance of large numbers of magic items gets old, though I generally liked how to Rokugan books handled it.

Not really. Rokugan has a stronger Japanese flavor.
Very much so. Sengoku period Japan with the addition of magic. Though the Kaiu Wall (and how well it works keeping out the shadowlands) as well as a few geographic elements are more Chinese.

Why d20 Modern for Romance of the 3 Kingdoms which takes place around the end of the Han Dynasty? I'd only use d20 Modern for something like a Long March/WWII campaign. Really, don't like the magical elements, then cut out all of the magic classes and items.

Linch9

First Post
Kobold Avenger said:
Why d20 Modern for Romance of the 3 Kingdoms which takes place around the end of the Han Dynasty? I'd only use d20 Modern for something like a Long March/WWII campaign. Really, don't like the magical elements, then cut out all of the magic classes and items.

I have written a 12 pages sneak preview of RTK RPG based on D20 Modern at my website: http://www.romancingcathay.com

But here is a quick summary:

- it replaces 'keep track of every last coins' with Wealth Trait - you are a major charcter, not a bean-counter

- it replaces alignment system with AlligenceTrait which is more appropriate

-it has Reputation Trait, even OA didn't have Honor Trait

-D20 Modern allows you to create a character based on each of attributes, d20 only allows you to play fighter, barbarian or thief if we eliminate all magic-related class.

Felix

Explorer
One curious bit about Three Kingdoms d20 is that a PC would have to have noble blood to get any attention from powerful people. - Did anybody else notice that commoners were completely faceless and without hope of advancement in the books? Very true to history I imagine.

This would be a huge role playing contrast with the usual DnD where adventures are often outcasts and paupers; the only commoners who were mentioned by name in the books were the leaders of the Yellow Scarves, and they didn't make it past page 100.:)

What would be really cool is being an elite group of soldiers under command of Kongming - that guy kicks butt. Liu Xuande might not know who you are, but you could have some great tactical battles based on Kongming's troop movements in the books.

Larry Fitz:
Sima Yi is a punk!;)
Sun Jian is where it's at.

PA

First Post
Felix said:
One curious bit about Three Kingdoms d20 is that a PC would have to have noble blood to get any attention from powerful people.

Not really. You can also make a name for yourself, like Guan Yu or Lü Bu, who both were offered high positions. And, though not a pauper proper, Cao Cao was the son of a man adopted by a eunuch: hardly the most likely candidate to the job of king, even less of emperor, which he became in every way but in name.

Felix said:
- Did anybody else notice that commoners were completely faceless and without hope of advancement in the books? Very true to history I imagine.

Er, what about Zhang Fei? Hardly faceless. :p

Felix said:
This would be a huge role playing contrast with the usual DnD where adventures are often outcasts and paupers; the only commoners who were mentioned by name in the books were the leaders of the Yellow Scarves, and they didn't make it past page 100.:)

In a campaign, the Yellow Scarves could be the "good guys" (and then we could get something closer to Outlaws of the Marsh).

Felix said:
What would be really cool is being an elite group of soldiers under command of Kongming - that guy kicks butt. Liu Xuande might not know who you are, but you could have some great tactical battles based on Kongming's troop movements in the books.

Zhuge Liang, also known under the honorific name of Kongming. My favorite character. :D

Liu Bei, also known under the honorific name of Xuande, seems to have been great only because he attracted greatness: Kongming as a councellor (and, in the novel if not historically, as a genius tactician and strategist), Guan Yu and Zhang Fei as warriors, etc.

Felix said:
Sima Yi is a punk!;)
Sun Jian is where it's at.

Actually, historically, some of the exploits attributed to Guan Yu in the novel were Sun Jian's doings. He could have made it to the throne, having the imperial seal and all... Too bad his heirs were not quite of the same cloth.

Sima Yi was not quite as good as Zhuge Liang, but he's still one of the masterminds of the time.

Remove ads