• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rome: Total War

So, does anyone else have this game yet?

Hopefully this will acutaly show signs of life, as I haven't had any luck yet anywhere else in finding a good forum for the asking of questions and/or finding of tips ;)

Anyone know a good 'basics' type site (preferably free, broke from all this game buying) for tactics, or perhaps it's acutaly strategy when you're moving armies around.

List any 'bugs' or things we should watch for, we'll call those negative features for now ;) Prime example of something I'm not yet sure about. Early on I dramaticaly increased the size of my army, not to mention the variety as I was just getting started, by Bribing enemy and rebel forces into joining my own. Lately I've ended up wasting thousands on trying this some more, only to have the successfully Bribed armies simply vanish into limbo. I'm going to have to experiment a bit, but I'm wondering if you can't keep what you've Bribed without a Leader around to 'take command'. If this isn't the case I have a realy good bug report to send in. Doubt this'll get me my cash back though :p

Favorite Unit: War Dogs. Only had the chance to use this unit once, but I think it helped tremendously. Was crossing a bridge and sent these on head of the charging Infantry. Worked like a charm. I've heard rumors of Flaming Pigs of War (tm?), so I may have to 'upgrade' my favorite later. Yes, I'm that sick, heh.

Tactics: This is more in nature of a question. Is it better to set the infantry in Guard Mode and thus 'lock' them into formation, or let them 'mob' up as they go into combat? I've yet to see Spearmen though, probably the 'faction' I've picked does'nt have it available at all.

Hatchling Dragon

driver8

First Post
I picked this up yesterday. The jump to 3d really is such a revelation compared to the first two games in the series. All in all a great evolution.

My favorite part if the 3 d ness of the startegic map. Ive always had a good understanding, I think, og European geography, but seeing everything in 3d really brings home the situation and sometimes difficulties in geting from point A to B.

As far as tactics, Ive only tinkered with Guard formation, it seems to keep the unit cohesiveness (unles they rout) and the units doesnt seem to run off and pursue retreating enemies. But I could be totaaly wronf since I tend to micromanage the units quite a bit.

My only gripe is that the Total War creators tend to include gimmicky units in the games. I know this isnt a grognardarly game, and for the most part they are very historically accurate, but some units like the exploding pig and the gladiator dont seem to have a place. They may have existed in history I dunno but it just seems weird.

MaxKaladin

First Post
I haven't played much but I'm very fond of war dogs myself. They seem so effective that I suspect they'll be nerfed in a patch sometime.

Another tactic that I'm fond of is hitting phalanx units in the flanks with cavalry. VERY effective if the cavalry get a bit of a running start. I like to use my Velites/Light auxilia up front to skirmish and make the enemy break up his line a bit. They won't do a lot of damage that I can tell, but the nearest units will go into phalanx formation and get out of step with the surrounding units and the solid line of the phalanxes gets broken up making them more vulnerable to local flank attacks.

Be careful with your archers as they can easily cause friendly fire deaths.

On the strategic map, watch out for squalor as it makes your cities increasingly rebellious and there seems to be little you can do to fight it.

dagger

Adventurer
I just got the mod that makes all the factions except rebels and senate playable. :)

You can find it on the forums at totalwar.org or twcenter.net .

driver8

First Post
Thanks I found the non-mod .txt file that unlocks the other official factions. I love their opening movies. And no annoying Senate to get in my way!

Remove ads