Romeoville(Friday Nights): Looking for players - Iron Heroes 3.5 D&D game...

ShadowChemosh

First Post
Small group(2-3 players) looking for one to four more players for Monte Cook's Iron Heroes system. Iron Heroes is basically 3.5 D&D well about 90% the same. Its a variant version of the PHB done by Monte Cook (he worked on the DMG 3.5). Here is a link to its home page.
http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?iron-lore
Here is a Link to its FAQ
http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?mpress_IL_FAQ

If you have had any interest in trying out this system we are a fun group of players willing to learn with you. If you are already an experienced IH player you are also very welcomed to join. One of the really fun things of IH is that it runs very well without a full group of 4 players like normal D&D. This has allowed us, and anyone that joins, the opportunity to try out the system without the need of a large group of players.

We plan to play Friday Nights every few weeks from about 7-Midnight, but the exact days and time will vary based on players and DMs schedules.

The campaign world is a home brewed version of Darksun with modules from Dungeon to help round things out. Normal worlds like Forgotten Realms or Eberron do not fit well with the Iron Heroes system. If things continue to work well with the IH system we may switch to the new Dungeon Adventure Path(Savage Tide).

If interested send me an email to shadowchemosh(at)yahoo(dot)com

Last edited:

FunnyDice

First Post
I got your email - Thanks for the reponse! We have heard of Monte Cook and his modifications, but have not played the Iron Hero's system.

We are in bucktown, and need to let out dog out in the evenings. We don't mind playing on Friday nights, but getting to a suburb by 7 on a workday might be challenging. How long a drive is it to Romeoville?

-FD

ShadowChemosh

First Post
FunnyDice said:
I got your email - Thanks for the reponse! We have heard of Monte Cook and his modifications, but have not played the Iron Hero's system.

We are in bucktown, and need to let out dog out in the evenings. We don't mind playing on Friday nights, but getting to a suburb by 7 on a workday might be challenging. How long a drive is it to Romeoville?

-FD

I don't know exactly where bucktown is, but Chicago to Romeoville is about a 30 mins drive. Basically its the intersection of I-55 and I-355. I would assume with traffic it could take a little longer. I would say mapquest it and add 15 to 20 mins to the time to account for traffic on a Friday.

I know Fridays are not the best days, but it works out very well for the other players. I totally understand if the drive is too much, but you are welcome to give us a try if you want. Are next game is scheduled for September 1st(Friday). Send me an email to shadowchemosh(at)yahoo(dot)com if you wish to come out or if you wish to talk more.

Thanks

ShadowChemosh

First Post
Major changes of Iron Heroes from D&D 3.5

These are just an overview of the changes, but everyone I have introduced this system too really enjoys it so far.

Iron Heroes presents a world where magic is too dangerous and unpredictable to rely upon. Characters in this system do not need magic to become powerful. The Iron Heroes classes are all balanced to work without lots of magic items and magical abilities. This also means that there are ten new classes to choose from in Iron Heroes. These new classes get expanded uses out of Feats and Skills that you are already familiar with from 3.5 D&D PHB. The difference is that Skills get more use in combat, and Feats can be taken Master Levels in that give more uses out of the normal Feats. This is how the game keeps Iron Heroes character classes balanced vs monsters without the use of magic.

Being that there is no magic means that there are no clerics. So how does one heal, you get a set of Reserve Hit Points. These equal your total number of Normal Hit Points, but can be used out of combat to restore Hit Points lost at a 1 to 1 ratio. This saves the age old problem of no one wanting to play the Band-Aid Healing Cleric. Each Character is responsible for healing themselves.

One big change is that there is only one playable race in Iron Heroes and that's human. I know that can be a big disappointment to many people, but there are new 'Background' options that let you change your human character to be way different than others. Including being large size or small size. This allows players to truly make the type of character that they wish.

Another nice change that helps the game be played with less then 4 players is no more Cross Class Skills. So if you want your character to know Disable Device or Open Locks then you simply put a rank into the skill at a 1 to 1 ratio. With Iron Heroes you get a lot less of I am 'Bob the Fighter', but more of 'I am Bob of the Kaza Arctic Waste Tribes'.

As a DM one thing that became apparent right away when trying to run the sessions is that I don't have the normal ability to hand out magic items as a reward. With this loss it becomes more important for their to be a good story to award the players with instead. Which also makes the game more fun.

If interested send me an email to
shadowchemosh(at)yahoo(dot)com

Remove ads