Ronin Arts: Twelve Days of Christmas Sale -- Last Day!

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Frukathka said:
In all actuality, the 12 Days of Christmas start the evening of Christmas Day and is celebrated for following 11 days in the evening.

I've heard that before, but I'm the sort of person that wants the holiday over when it's over.

I suspect we'll see a lot of after Christmas PDF sales now, though. (Not from Ronin Arts, just in general.)

Twelve Days of Christmas START not end on Christmas

From Wikipedia:
Wikipedia said:
These are the twelve days beginning on night of the 25th of December and ending on the morning of January 6th, the Feast of the Epiphany. In the Middle Ages this period was one of continuous feasting and merrymaking, which climaxed on Twelfth Night, the traditional end of the Christmas season. Twelfth Night itself was forever solidified in pop culture when William Shakespeare used it as setting for one of his most famous stage plays.

In that time of the twelve days of Christmas, traditional roles were often relaxed, masters waited on their servants, men were allowed to dress as women, and women as men. Often a Lord of Misrule was chosen to lead the Christmas revels. Some of these traditions were adapted from older, pagan customs, including the Roman Saturnalia. Some also have an echo in modern day pantomime where traditionally authority is mocked and the principal male lead is played by a woman, while the leading older female character, or ‘Dame’ is played by a man.

Today, some celebrants give gifts each of the twelve days, feast and otherwise celebrate. Lighting a candle for each day, and of course, singing the appropriate verses of the song each day are a part of modern-day American celebrations. Some still celebrate Twelfth Night as the biggest night for parties and gift-giving. Epiphany morning is then the traditional time to take down the Christmas tree and decorations.
While I respect Phil's decision to have a pre-Christmas sale, as a Mediævalist (and a Christian) I can’t keep quiet when I see a confusion between the Twelve Days of Christmas and Advent.

Remove ads