• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rope Trick ends, no available space...

random user

First Post
What happens if a rope trick is cast, but before the spell ends, the area around the window is encompassed by something solid.

Some specific cases:

1. what happens if someone casts a wall of stone which encompasses all sides of the window? (I believe that wall of stone by itself is sufficient; if it is not, add in a stoneshape.)

2. what happens if somone casts a prismatic wall from the floor to 1mm under the window as well as from the ceiling top to 1mm above the window? (I assume this is legal? I didn't read anwhere in the description that the wall is affected by gravity.)

3. what happens if the entire area is covered with snow (ie a snowstorm or avalanche)?

I don't see anything in the spell description to account for this. One thought was to use the rules for either dimension door or teleport. Any opinions (or facts) on this would be greatly appreciated.

frankthedm

First Post
A hazardous area outside the rope trick when it ends means those inside will suffer the hazard.

Solid barrier blocking the exit? I say you go directly to the Far Rælm. Most likely though you get shunted to the nearest available space since the wotc D&D game doesn't have much bite.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
random user said:
1. what happens if someone casts a wall of stone which encompasses all sides of the window? (I believe that wall of stone by itself is sufficient; if it is not, add in a stoneshape.)
The result of this is not specified by the book. My ruling would be that when the rope trick ends, everyone inside is shunted to the nearest open space, as if by a mistargeted dimension door.

2. what happens if somone casts a prismatic wall from the floor to 1mm under the window as well as from the ceiling top to 1mm above the window?
Rope trick doesn't protect you from anything after you have left it. If exiting the space makes you pass through a prismatic wall, you suffer that spell's effects normally. (Here's hoping you have really high saves...)

3. what happens if the entire area is covered with snow (ie a snowstorm or avalanche)?
You get cold. Probably wet, too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads