• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rope Trick Question.

Xarlen

First Post
A mage is in a Rope trick. The description says that he can see out of it like there was a 3x5 window.

Now, before he climbed up, he cast Spectral Hand. Can he command the hand and cast spells through it, From the Rope Trick?

I don't think that you can cast spells Out from it (I'm sure the extra-dimensional space blocks line of effect), but could you conrol a spectral hand scooting around outside?

Also, I imagine there's a hole in the 'floor' of the space you're in, right? So instead of climbing out, you can Jump out?

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
IIRC, the only spells that work across planar boundaries are the ones that specifically say so. The Manual of the Planes has the actual rules.

In any case, I would rule that Spectral Hand winks out as you cross the boundary, unless you take it in with you. To say otherwise would make the spell unbalancingly useful in combat. (Since the boundary blocks line of effect, no enemy spell can reach you. If you remove the rope, no non-flying fighter can reach you. Plus, you're invisible. The combination of Improved Invisibility and something like a Globe of Invulnerability would be rather strong for a second-level spell.)

Remove ads