• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rope trick spell - limits?

nwn_deadman

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Limit is easy

Darklone said:

Sorry to disagree Ferox, you can shoot and cast into our out from that rope trick space, spells like stinking cloud or spreads (fireball) reach into it... So why shouldn't gnolls not smell the PCs ? they are after all only 30 ft away and the hole is NOT closed after everyone enters. Else your players would suffocate after 8hours.

You are totally wrong on spells that reach into the extradimeensional space.

"Creatures in the extradimensional space are hidden, beyond the reach of spells (including divinitations), UNLESS these spells work across planes."

the entrace is INVISIBLE and you CANNOT cast spells across the entrance (NOR CAN AREA SPELLS CROSS IT)

I think you need to READ the spell on p. 246 PHB

Darklone

Re: Re: Re: Re: Limit is easy

nwn_deadman said:

the entrace is INVISIBLE and you CANNOT cast spells across the entrance (NOR CAN AREA SPELLS CROSS IT)

I think you need to READ the spell on p. 246 PHB

You are right sorry. Misinterpreted some sage advices about this.

But I would still rule the same about the air crossing that entrance continuously thus allowing scent. (Sorry about that, the Sage advice answering exactly this question was not found right now by me).

They asked if you can shoot arrows outside or something similar...

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Piratecat said:
We just found out the hard way that climbing that damn rope is a full round action for everyone! That means that if you've got six PCs, it takes six rounds to flee up into it. Ouch; so much for using it for a split-second refuge!

Why conjure it way up off the ground? Just conjure it 3 feet off the ground. "Duck under" and crawl inside the opening.

Being that it's an extradimensional space, it won't matter if the bad guys blunder through it. It isn't there.

Or am I missing an obvious reason this wouldn't work?

Ferox4

First Post
Piratecat said:
We just found out the hard way that climbing that damn rope is a full round action for everyone! That means that if you've got six PCs, it takes six rounds to flee up into it. Ouch; so much for using it for a split-second refuge!

I've been thinking about this and I think that if you were to cast the Rope Trick at it's minimum height (5') and moved at 1/4 your normal speed you could then climb the rope as a miscellaneous move-equivalent action. This is in the Climb skill description and assumes your base movement is >20'.

However, with the stipulation that "the rope can be climbed by only 1 person at a time," wouldn't this mean that only 2 people could climb up the rope/round moving at 1/4 their base?

Also, I still must disagree with Darklone about the air moving across the extradimensional space and allowing creature with the Scent SA to detect the PCs. It states quite clearly in the spell description that "you and up to 7 others can climb up the rope and disappear into this place of safety where no creature can find you." Besides, if spells and area effects and projectiles can't cross the interdimensional interface then certainly the party's scent, no matter how horrific, cannot cross it either.

bret

First Post
Couple of additional things to consider.

You can climb at your full rate as a full round action or half that as a move-equivalent action provided you are willing to take a -5 penalty to the climb check. Since the base DC to climb the rope is 5, this makes it only a DC 10 to climb the rope fast. Your fighters and rogues should be able to do this easily if they invested in the climb skill.

Tome & Blood has Scentbreaker. That would settle the question of someone tracking with scent.

The area created by the Rope Trick seems to be an enclosed area. I don't think there would be much of a breeze to carry the scent out. I would make it more difficult to track someone using scent if the pursued had used Rope Trick to escape.

Since the portal is invisible, I would expect that a See Invisible would show it. Not sure what effect, if any, and Invisibility Purge would have on the portal.

Although it is clear that spells can't cross the portal, it isn't as clear if missles can or not.

The biggest problem I've seen with the spell is the interaction with a Bag of Holding or Heward's Handy Haversack.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
bret said:
The biggest problem I've seen with the spell is the interaction with a Bag of Holding or Heward's Handy Haversack.

Yeah that sucks, and since mordekinds magnificent mansion is my faorite spell with a similar problem I had to fix it. What I did was reivent the wheel or bag actually. Anyone who read dragonlance remember the desription of a bag of holding Raistlin used. To all apearences it shrunk the item that went into the bag. So I made a bag that shrunk as per the item spell all non-living objects placed inside. When somethings dimensions are shrunk to 1/25th its actual size a standard 1 cubic foot bag ends up being able to hold quite a bit. A dispel stopped the magic, but wouldn't resize everything, you just couldn't make things smaller or bigger by putting them in or taking them out of the bag. This way I could have a bag of holding and still use all the cool extradimensional spells that I love. Of course my next wizard will have the same problem and I don't want to reivent the wheel the same way with different characters.

Shin Okada

Explorer
"Spells that produce their own extradimensional spaces, such as rope trick, pose no danger to occupants who may be using portable holes, bags of holding, and the like."

From official FAQ (Updated 2/15/02).

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Shin Okada said:
"Spells that produce their own extradimensional spaces, such as rope trick, pose no danger to occupants who may be using portable holes, bags of holding, and the like."

From official FAQ (Updated 2/15/02).

yeesh when did they change that. The freakin spell description even says look out at least the 1st printing does. And since 3rd edition I've seen many of the creaters coment on it, I think even the sage.

Remove ads