• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rotating GM's?

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
We have four GMs between our two groups (there is a lot of overlap between the groups). I run Unisystem (Currently All Flesh Must Be Eaten). Alwaystoast runs Exalted. Guedo79 runs D&D (specifically Planescape). evil_kitty_grrl runs D&D (specifically Savage Species). Mondays alternate between Exalted and AFMBE. Saturdays alternate between the two D&D games.

Unisystem is pretty much my system. I rarely stray from it when I run something.

This is completely normal in my experience, especially when you are isolated and unable to contact other players and such. Tight groups, such as friends, (and of course all players in your group eventually become friends, right?) often hit upon this especially if conflicting schedules start becoming a factor.

My own group has 2 DMs, but we run the table simultaneously; one runnning the group and the other assisting with details so that during problems (rules look ups, ordering pizza or preparing food and what have you) that the game can continue unabaited. Also, we have a LARGE group (12 players) and when the party splits up (yeah they can do that and still be effective) or adventures in town samller groups can be controlled in co-existant fashion so that less time is wasted in one-on-one and other actions that may exclude other players.
Of course YMMV.
My two coppers.
Happy Gaming

Dragon Snack

First Post
My 'origional' group (since I got back into RPGs a few years back) meets every other Sunday. We used to rotate through systems with one guy DMing, but every once in a while I would run a few adventures (when we played GURPS or WEG d6 SW). When 3rd edition came out we stuck with it (even spawning a 'sister group' on the alternate Sundays for a while).

Once, when my character had been separated from the group (I had to miss a session when I had a meeting for work), I co-DMed an adventure. I played the BBEG and the DM played his minions. It was great, I had him run smack at the parties Cleric (he had killed his sister) and we actually stood and yelled at each other in character (the dogs went crazy). I killed another character twice when I got him separated from the party (he had a magic item that automatically Resurected him). Good times.

My Friday game group used to switch off between D&D and Fudge, then we switched off between D&D and Savage Worlds (50 Fathoms) until a near TPK had us shelve D&D. We finished up 50 Fathoms and are now playtesting an Alice In Wonderland setting for Savage Worlds (we've broken a bunch of stuff already).

So, to answer the questions, we used to run all sorts of different stuff, but now we stick to one main system for each group, not all DMs run different games, and we don't team up all that often (but it was fun when we did).

ha-gieden

First Post
^^ Why shelve just because of a TPK :p

Anyway, after reading all of your posts, I don't feel like Queen of the UberNerds anymore :D

Really, it's sometimes hard to explain our gaming schedule to non-gamers.

Remove ads