• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RotK ee: any word on deleted scenes?

danbala

Explorer
Have you heard anything about deleted scenes in the Return of the King EE?
So far I have heard rumors of the following:

1) "Houses of the Healing scene"

2) Some sort of avalanche of skulls during paths of the dead sequence. (This is taken from P Jackson's comments to the shooting script. It would somewhat track events in the RotK video game as well).

3) Sam and Frodo get conscripted while disguised in ork armor. I've seen pictures of this part in an illustrated guide book. I assume that it explains why it is that Sam and Frodo go from Ork armor to street clothes.

4) Eomer gets upset when he sees Theoden die. (Shown in preview)

5) Gandalf fights Witch King and gets staff broken. (Shown in preview). Apparently this is why he doesn't have staff in Denethor immolation scene.

6) Merry pledges loyalty to Theoden. (Shown in earlier trilogy previews).

7) Mouth of Sauron parleys with Aragon (this would track the video game better).

Any others that you’ve heard of?

The only other one that I can think of involves many a fight with the Black corsairs and the army of the dead. PJ supposed has a cameo as a Black corsair and is killed onscreen.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
danbala said:
4) Eomer gets upset when he sees Theoden die. (Shown in preview)

He's grieving for Gamling, I believe.

Also, Gimli apparently has a big fight scene with the puffy orc general.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Don't forget the part where Merry melvins the Witchking, before stabbing him. And the part where Elrond goes around poking Orcs and they turn into other Elronds and go around poking other orcs.

I understand, from John Noble's comments, scenes with Denethor were cut, so perhaps they will be back in.

And perhaps the bit from the book where the Witchking reveals he has no head, just the crown and the burning eyes.

Last edited:

Dark Jezter

First Post
Piratecat said:
Also, Gimli apparently has a big fight scene with the puffy orc general.

Awesome! I really hope this scene makes it into the EE; we got to see Legolas singlehandedly take down an Oliphant, but we didn't get to see Gimli do any asskicking.

Stupid attention-whore elves.

Pants

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
And perhaps the bit from the book where the Witchking reveals he has no head, just the crown and the burning eyes.
As much as I like the books, I think that would be really lame. ;)

WanderingMonster

First Post
For Christmas, I received a copy of Trivial Pursuit: Lord of the Rings Movie Trilogy Collector's Edition. One of the questions was, "Which character kills Sauron's emissary at the Black Gate?"

A:
Aragorn

I thought, "Hey wait...THAT wasn't in the movie!" And what I've read from different sources, that scene is in the extended edition.

For what it's worth, the game is fun, but pretty easy if you've seen the EE's of the first two movies more than 2-3 times.

mojo1701

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:

I was waiting for that...

And let's not forget, let's not forget, why Denethor was crazy in the first place...

Dark Jezter

First Post
WanderingMonster said:
For Christmas, I received a copy of Trivial Pursuit: Lord of the Rings Movie Trilogy Collector's Edition. One of the questions was, "Which character kills Sauron's emissary at the Black Gate?"

A:
Aragorn

I thought, "Hey wait...THAT wasn't in the movie!" And what I've read from different sources, that scene is in the extended edition.

For what it's worth, the game is fun, but pretty easy if you've seen the EE's of the first two movies more than 2-3 times.

In the Return of the King video game,
Aragorn (or Gandalf, or Gimli, or Legolas, depening on who you play as) and the Mouth of Sauron get into a fight with each other after the mouth of Sauron presents them with Frodo's mail shirt and tells them that he's dead.

Should be interesting to see how that's handled in the extended edition.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads