• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rotten pregenerated PC's at WotC

sjmiller

Explorer
I have to say, I am with Eric on this one. I see nothing wrong with the character. Sure, it's not an ueber-powerful* super Paladin, but then playing maxed out "I am the best at everything I do" characters gets a bit boring.

Besides that, I've never encountered a group that uses the point-buy system of character creation for D&D, so the so-called low point-buy cost is lost on me.

* How does one do an umlaut here without torturing the system?

mearls

Hero
Maybe it's because I'm a veteran of the old 3d6, keep 'em in the order you rolled 'em school of D&D, but I sort of like the challenge of playing characters with sub-optimal stats. It can be a fun challenge if you have the right DM.

OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of mistake in making a few of the PCs. The dwarf fighter and the warforged fighter listed on that page had significantly better stats.

Berandor

lunatic
sjmiller said:
I have to say, I am with Eric on this one. I see nothing wrong with the character. Sure, it's not an ueber-powerful* super Paladin, but then playing maxed out "I am the best at everything I do" characters gets a bit boring.

Besides that, I've never encountered a group that uses the point-buy system of character creation for D&D, so the so-called low point-buy cost is lost on me.

* How does one do an umlaut here without torturing the system?
ä ü ö

Apparently, you just have to type on a german computer :)

And I see nothing wrong with the character, either (except for toughness, which sucks)

IronWolf

blank
Squire James said:
About 20 points in a point-buy... pretty weak in nearly any campaign. The standard array is 25, if you want to compare it with something.

Looks like a 25 point buy to me unless I am missing something (maybe I did).... How did you get 20?

Greylock

First Post
OK, so I'm not good at math, but since I'm too lazy to pull up MS's handy dandy calculator, do those skill ranks work out right? Looks like everything is in Knowledge - Nobility and Sense Motive, but doesn't he have to many? That 6 INT should be a bit of a drag on those ranks, shouldn't it?

JDragon

Explorer
Now, I like to think I'm not a total power gamer but as some one mentioned earlier I dont see how this guy made it to 3rd level. Unless hes been hiding in the back the whole time.

At 3rd level hes got 23 HP from 3d10+9. That means he averaged 2 HP per level for 2nd & 3rd levels, assuming they went by the book and he started at max for first. (1st = 10 (+2 con) + 2nd = y (+2 Con) + 3rd = x (+2 Con + 3 Toughness) = 19 + x + y = 23. Yuk, now I know you cna have some bad rolls, but thats scary.

Also, why would you give a Paladin a 16 Wisdom, put it in Cha or Strenght, and if your doing it the old school way of placing scores in the order rolled, then play a Cleric!

As for the feats, the action point thing is fine, and hell if I had rolled 2 - 2's for hit points I would have taken Toughness too, but Run, why does he need run? Even with the feet most of the other caharacters are going to out run him and he's going to be bait anyways. (casue we all know you don't have to be the fastest just faster than another party member ;) )
Why not give him something like weapon focus so he can actually hit with his weapon?

So, I'm not sure if I've made any sense here, and maybe I am a power gamer after all but I can tell you I would not touch this character with a 10' poll. :\

BTW are the other characters they had posted like this or is this the worse example?

Philip

Explorer
Dracomeander said:
Also, how does a human get a 6 Int in any point buy method? I thought attributes started at 8 in point buy.

Because only someone with Int 6 would take 75+ lbs. of gear with him when his heavy load range lies between 67-100 lbs. ;)

cantrip

Explorer
At least two of the characters had even lower stats. I think about 19 point buy for the half-orc druid and one other.
Then there was the half-ef cleric with 47 point stats...
So they're probably rolled at 4d6, drop lowest, and at least one stat at 13+ :\

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
I don't have a prob with pregen characters as they're built for their own adventure and aren't "competing" with other characters. There isn't a problem situation as such, just an observation.

There just seemed so much wrong with this guy but I would not say toughness is a bad choice; Toughness is a very viable choice for low level, one off adventures.

The 'problem' with such a character is this is what his character build allows:
  • Engage the enemy in frontline duty
  • cause negligible harm other than controlling a frontline
  • when HPs are low can run away at standard slow speed (15' speed, heavy encumbrance countered by run feat)
  • Have good social skills with diplomacy at +6 with synergies (avoid next combat at all costs)
  • Physical activity checks are at an extra -6 due to heavy encumbrance
It just strikes me as wrong for strength to be neglected so.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads