• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rouges sux!

Halivar

First Post
Ewe no, the reel problem hear is that sew many wards can bee spelled write butt the checker can naught tail if the grammar is, two.

Stormtalon

First Post
I shall stick to my guns and spell "Rogue" as I pronounced it: "Ragu!"

There, I've preserved the "u", gotten rid of the superfluous "o" & "e", added an "a" and made it into a two-syllable word!

Additionally, it's very apt as quite often they end up looking like their namesakes.... ;)

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Samuel Leming said:
Rogue is spelled so as to guarantee(there's that U again) a non-ambiguous pronunciation. So I really don't agree with your second sentence there.
Maybe I'm abnormal, but before I heard someone else say 'rogue' I pronounced it such that it ryhmed with a brand of pasta sauce. (Ragu, rague? Can't remember the spelling.) When I see a written U, I pronounce it unless informed otherwise.

Samuel Leming said:
I'll give you two. Rouge & Roger.
Neither of those are G sounds. Roger is pronounced with a J sound, and 'rouge' is pronounced with a sound that English doesn't have a letter for. You might compare it to the J sound, but it's nothing like G. S and Z, and T and D sound more similiar to each other than G does to that sound.

Was is also correct although it is the colloquial/informal form (do you want sources?).
One could argue that it's is the colloquial form of its, if one were so inclined.

What's the point of internet pedantism if one cannot insist that English grammar is immutable and inflexible? That is, I learned in school that the subjunctive must be used in the case of a hypothetical, therefore it is the only proper way!

Or to put it another way, blargh!

Even ENworld is guilty of grammatical "impurity"

Even ENworld is guilty of grammatical "impurity"

"You have given out too much Experience Points in the last 24 hours, try again later."

SHOULD BE:

"You have given out too many Experience Points in the last 24 hours; try again later."

or

"You have given out too much experience [eliminate "Points"] in the last 24 hours; try again later."

OR

Either of the above, but putting a period after "hours" and capitalizing "Try".

Not that it bugs me, but I'm just sayin'.

Last edited:

Remove ads