• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG books you returned...

Smoss

First Post
Both of my returns were star wars by odd coincidence. One was the Saga core rules, there was a glue error that caused several important pages to be fused together.

The other was the old d20 starships book. A bad misprint where the 2nd half of the book was actually the 1st half of the book flipped upside down.

Returned both to my FLGS and got them replaced with nice clean copies of the same book.
Smoss

tvknight415

Explorer
I tried to return my copy of the 4E PHB. The cover said Dungeons and Dragons on it, but they obviously put the wrong rules in the book. All the other copies in the store had the same problem, as well as every copy I've run across in every other store. It must have been one heck of a printing problem !?!?!?!?!

:p

Ringlerun

First Post
My copy of Ad&d Oriental Adventures had a few pages not cut correctly and about 2 weeks latter i had pages falling out but since i was young and i had traveled from the country 200km to Melbourne to buy the book i couldn't just send it back so i kept it and i still have it today.

LOL i got a book on book binding from my local library and re glued the pages myself. It didnt last but it is amazing how many different skills i have learned because of my love of RPG games.

Elf Witch

First Post
I have been lucky, knocking on wood that this continues, I have never run across a RPG book that was messed up.

I did receive the wrong adventure path from my subscriptions from Pazio once. I called them and they sent out the right one and told me to keep the one that was the mistake.

Voadam

Legend
I pre-ordered the original 3e PHB through Barnes and Noble. When I got it I started reading it cover to cover. Turns out it was missing 32 pages from the combat section including the explanation for attacks of opportunity. B&N replaced it but it took a while.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
I had a SWSE core book that had blurry text on a dozen pages. I bought another copy and gifted the first to my nephew, including laminating the map for him.

3.5 Heroes of battle had 2 pagges stuck together that ripped a little, but no big deal, loved the book.

Another SWSE (Jedi i think) had the pages glued in at a bad angle. Not a big deal, considered returning but said hell with it.

First run of GURPS 4e had binding issues. I was affected, SJG took care of it no problem with great customer service.

The only gaming product I have ever returned was a Battletech box set back in the 90's.

The pictures and descriptions on the back of the box had a big picture of the contents and implied it had multiple big board-game type maps, plastic minis for the mechs, a lot of dice, and lots of documentation for the rules.

The box set itself had a handful of fold-up counters, one small poster map, a couple of dice, and a small booklet of rules. The picture on the back didn't even seem to depict the contents of the box, and the description of the contents was very vague to say the least.

I felt like I'd been ripped off, especially given that IIRC my FLGS charged a decent sum for it. I took it back to the store and demanded a refund. At first they refused, and I tried to explain it, only for them to say I was being unreasonable in what I was expecting from the box. So, I show him the pictures of the setup on the back of the box, and ask him where the miniatures and fistful of dice and huge maps shown were.

He, very grumpily, takes the box back and gives me my money. If it wasn't the only FLGS I had access to at the time, it would have been my last time shopping there given how reluctant he was to take a return. I still couldn't believe a product could be that misleading about its contents.

Aramax

First Post
How many RPG books have you returned due to publisher screw ups (not post office or vendor issues)? What were the issues, and how good was the publishers customer service?

(My brother has a similar post on RPG.net that he posted for me. So if you answered there you don't need to here, but if you do let me know that you posted to both.)

If your a member of the Facebook Old School Gamers group, and you post info there and here, let me know that as well.
I ordered The Cruel empire of the Tsan Chen and got this HRRILE ghost story adventure ,both for Call of C. From Chaosium,They made me keep the truely horrible adventure of which about 5 pages were showing what was being surved in the cafiteria

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I returned my Paranoia 2nd Ed. Book no fewer than 3 times for misprints, missing pages and a bad binding. Great book, awful printing.

I've heard, though, that well-bound copies went to blue clearance citizens and above.

Holy Bovine

First Post
I tried to return my copy of the 4E PHB. The cover said Dungeons and Dragons on it, but they obviously put the wrong rules in the book. All the other copies in the store had the same problem, as well as every copy I've run across in every other store. It must have been one heck of a printing problem !?!?!?!?!

:p

Really? You're trying to start an edition war here? Stay classy dude. Stay classy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads