• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG/D&D terms and phrases that are no longer clever or amusing.

Treacherous

First Post
I despise cutsy little abbreviated words like "barbie" for barbarian, "pally" for paladin, "sorc" or (shudder) "sorcie" for sorcerer, etc. %!$@#& baby talk.

Storm Raven

First Post
Corinth said:
My extensive experience--mirrored by the overwhelming majority of gamers that I've met over my lifetime in the hobby--says otherwise. After 20 years with so little contradiction, I must say that you're wrong: it's universal.

Unfortunately for you, your "extensive experience" amounts to interacting with no more than a tiny fraction of the gamers who have played, and for many of us, our experience4 does not match yours. Therefore, your experience is not universal.

Correct; it was based on massive user feedback from millions of hours of actual play.

Umm, actually no. Many of the changes were based on nothing more than the design team's judgment, and were based on nothing else. Only a fairly limited set of changes between 3.0 and 3.5 were based upon player feedback. This has been stated by WotC more than once.

Last edited:

TeaBee

First Post
So, everybody likes the term, "rules lawyer"?

What about "stick"? As in, a "stick of magic missle".

I really don't mind any of the terms used in this thread, just not in the middle of a game.

hong

WotC's bitch
TeaBee said:

What about "stick"? As in, a "stick of magic missle".

I really don't mind any of the terms used in this thread, just not in the middle of a game.
Don't think I've ever heard complaints about "rules lawyer". If it's used in a derogatory context, it's typically accompanied by "munchkin", and that one tends to get all the attention.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
hong said:
Don't think I've ever heard complaints about "rules lawyer". If it's used in a derogatory context, it's typically accompanied by "munchkin", and that one tends to get all the attention.

It just irritates me when people say "I've got a problem with a player - he's a real rules lawyer", and then go on to describe someone who is espousing assorted positions that are clearly against the letter of the rules, let alone the spirit.

That's not a rules lawyer, that's someone who doesn't know the rules.

Rrr.

-Hyp.

diaglo

Adventurer
i never liked the "half" term.

halflings don't call themselves halflings.
half-orcs and half-elves shouldn't either.

and with the introduction of half-whatever templates i really think it is overdone.

Storm Raven

First Post
diaglo said:
i never liked the "half" term.

halflings don't call themselves halflings.
half-orcs and half-elves shouldn't either.

and with the introduction of half-whatever templates i really think it is overdone.

I'll go you one further: in campaigns where I DM, I don't use any of the standard PHB races.

Orius

Legend
TeaBee said:

These really seem to be newer terms by and large, that people are talking about. Old stuff, like "rules lawyer" and "muchkin" have been in the gamer vocabulary long enough that they're likely not going anywhere.

Besides, it's not the term rules lawyer that people don't like, it's the rules lawyers themselves. :D

Aeolius

Adventurer
Storm Raven said:
I'll go you one further: in campaigns where I DM, I don't use any of the standard PHB races.

Ditto. My campaign is set underwater. Granted, there is one human...but he has pseudonatural fish hag grafts...and a few other surprises ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads