• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG Documentaries: The Dungeon Masters, etc..

Mercurius

Legend
With regards to the OP, I do feel your pain on this and had a similar experience when I read Ethan Gilsdorf's [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Freaks-Gaming-Geeks-Imaginary/dp/1599214806/"]Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks [/ame]which didn't necessarily take a negative tone but it did seem to imply that the only or main reason that one is into gaming is as a kind of escapism from childhood trauma and/or not making it in the Real World. I think only once in the entire book did Gilsdorf mention the creative pleasure that comes from playing.

But the thing is, Gilsdorf is at least partially right--and maybe those documentaries you mention (which I haven't seen) have some degree of truth. RPGs do attract a certain crowd with all sorts of social, emotional, and physical neuroses. It is a fringe sub-culture. The fringe, however, includes both the wackos and the geniuses; think of academia, for example, which tends to shut its doors to those that don't stand up to snuff but also those that break new ground and actually have original thoughts. Sometimes the two are intermixed and impossible to tease out the genius from the wackiness: genius wackos, if you will.

It is also worth investigating the pejorative terms that you yourself use to paint these supposedly rare gamers, such as "fatbeard." Now I know the stereotype and pretty much every time I go into a gaming store I see one or more very overweight, possibly bearded, gamers with awkward social skills, possibly poor hygiene, lack of a significant other (unless it is another "fatbeard"), and other signs of not really being able to meet the status quo. Have you stopped for a moment to think, though, that in an online forum such as this--that is dedicated to RPGs and only inhabited by serious to hardcore RPGers--that at least some of the regulars could be categorized in this hurtful stereotype?

Many, even most, rpg players are not just "normal people playing D&D in their spare time." Sure, some of them are, but many (most?) aren't. Some are fatbeards, drow-costume-wearing ladies, larpers, chaos magicians, wannabe-vampires, socially awkward, overweight, underweight, extremely imaginative, brilliant, ridiculous, and pretty much anything you can imagine. But by and large the people you know that are into RPGs into their adult years, as a "career hobby" if you will, are a bit different in some way. Maybe the folks that come to the game session to play and leave it in the game session can be pretty "normal," but any 30+ year old that runs a regular game is, by virtue only of the time that they spend literally in an imaginary world, not "normal." And hallelujah to that! Look around at popular, mainstream American culture and what do you see? It ain't pretty. Actually, I would say it is pretty pathological, by and large.

(This is not to say that some of these qualities in gamers are not pathological--many of them are. But we should at least own them. Obesity, especially when it gets to morbidity, is quite seriously. Obviously not only gamers are obese, but it seems that a fair share of them are and this should be taken seriously; how about a free three months of Weight Watchers included in GenCon tickets?).

The trick, I think, in really accurately portraying the table-top gaming community would be to convey this "genius wacko" combination. We should not deny our fringehood, and we should own our neuroses and pathologies, but we should also recognize our creativity, imagination, and genius.

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
I've yet to see a documenatary do it's job properly. The best I have seen is this one:

YouTube - The Dungeons and Dragons Experience Documentary PT 1

It's an hour long in total and covers a lot of area, though seems heavy on 1st ed AD&D.

A fair chunk of the people interviewed come across as a little too weird and it's no surprise that if that's how we are portrayed then it turns non-gamers off. There is also a weird guy in the section on "Evil" whose descriptions of how he run the game just seems harmful to the game than mere quirky.

I don't quite see why there isn't a decent documentary on roleplaying in general or D&D out there.

THE DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS EXPERIENCE is to my tastes the best of the lot; if nothing else you get a feel for where various folks' approaches come from. Yes, its focus seems (superficially) to be on AD&D, but watching the discussions with Stefan Porkony and hearing about how his mindset about gaming and indeed art design was influenced by the game is very interesting.

Yes, the comic store guy comes off as creepy.

It's the best one I've seen, though.

Mallus

Legend
(The other one I saw was Darkon, the LARP doc.)
I'm not familiar with The Dungeons Masters, but my wife and I both enjoyed Darkon thoroughly, thought it was a great documentary. What problems did you have with it? I thought the Darkon community was portrayed in a very positive light; diverse, enthusiastic --okay, on the borderline of crazily so, but still-- and not comprised solely of unsuccessful basement dwellers.

If anything, Darkon increased in LARP'ing, which is something I swore I'd never do...

With regards to the OP, I do feel your pain on this and had a similar experience when I read Ethan Gilsdorf's Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks which didn't necessarily take a negative tone but it did seem to imply that the only or main reason that one is into gaming is as a kind of escapism from childhood trauma and/or not making it in the Real World.
The thing about Gilsdorf book is it's really about him as a person, his personal experience with fantasy as an escape from childhood tragedy. I don't think it pretends to be an objective survey of the gaming world.

Mercurius

Legend
The thing about Gilsdorf book is it's really about him as a person, his personal experience with fantasy as an escape from childhood tragedy. I don't think it pretends to be an objective survey of the gaming world.

An objective survey, no, and I agree that he is going on an "external quest" to understand himself. But he is also making observations along the way and, by and large, my sense was that he didn't emphasize enough the creative aspects of gaming, but instead the "I'm in my happy hobbit hole" aspect.

McTreble

First Post
My biggest problem with the Darkon doc (and it isn't nearly as bad as TDM) is that the players are portrayed as maniacally fanatic. I know Skip, the main subject of the film. He is definately into the game, but the doc paints him as an otherwise loser who finds the only joy in playing. His kid is hella cute on Halloween though.

No, TDM is my main problem, for reasons stated above.

I would recommend steering clear of The Elfish Gene be Mark Barrowcliffe. By the time I had finished reading that book, I actually felt like DnD was a bad habit I needed to break. I felt ashamed for playing the game. Thankfully I got over it and now play more than ever.

McTreble

First Post
My Plan

Ok, so I've been going over things and I have decided to outline a documentary that focuses on the good aspects of the game. Too many docs have treated it as a joke, or a closeted fetish. I'm going to take the opposite approach.

My first Gen Con will be next year. Up until then I am going to solicit:

Positive RPG and other hobby gaming stories from the community at large

I'll also look into visiting some local and nearby games (I'm in Maryland, near the PA border; could realistically drive to FLA or even Maine, or as far west as Indy)

I want to highlight:

Parents teaching kids/ bonding across generations
Social outlets
The educational pieces
Minority (non-white male 18-40) game groups.
Active attempts to buck the trends and expectations

One thing I see as a problem is to make the doc easy to digest from outsiders. I'd love to solicit an illustrator/ animator to bring a visual component to the doc, especially when explaining the basics of the game. Let's face it: RPGs are hard to explain with words alone.

I'm just putting ideas on a forum. Anyone ever tried this? Any tips? Should I contact Morrus directly? WotC? White Wolf? Skip Lipman from the Darkon doc? Sarah Palin? (puke)

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I honestly never had a problem with any of these, not TDM, not Barrowcliffe, and not Gilsdorf. I suppose it's because I didn't see any of them as intending to represent the hobby as a whole, but just to pick out an interesting corner of it to investigate. I'm actually going to be teaching a class next spring that incorporates some discussion of roleplaying, and I'll be having the class read/watch some of this.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Not quite the same thing as a documentary but something I found on Youtube that could be interesting for non-players. It's a 25 part (about four hours) film of a 4E game run by Chris Perkins for the guys behind something called Robot Chicken. I watched it all this afternoon and while some bits are dull (I think it's the time it runs) it shows a good example of D&D game play.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJN1JvnRGWE&feature=related]YouTube - D&D Robot Chicken, Part 1[/ame]

Remove ads