RPG Evolution: Please Play With Me?

There’s nothing quite so vulnerable as a DM asking new players to join your game.

There’s nothing quite so vulnerable as a DM asking new players to join your game.

hand-1592415_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Finding new players for a long-running tabletop role-playing game campaign can be challenging, especially in these times of social distancing and online gaming. There are many factors to consider and potential pools to draw from, such as family, friends, acquaintances, strangers, and online communities. Each of these has its own pros and cons, and requires a different approach.

Family Members​

One of the first and easiest sources of potential players is your own family. Whether it’s your spouse, your kids, your siblings, or your parents, you already have a close relationship with them, and you know their personalities, interests, and schedules. You also have easy access to them, and you can play with them at home, without having to travel or use online platforms. I’ve played regularly with my spouse, my brother, and even my sister-in-law.

However, playing RPGs with your family can also have some drawbacks. For one thing, not all family members may be interested in or familiar with RPGs, and you may have to convince them to give it a try. You may also have to deal with some family dynamics, such as sibling rivalry, parental authority, or marital tension that could affect the game.

Sharing with family members is a bit different than other groups because the family member knows you better than most, but may not know your game. The rules might be intimidating but getting to know you will be less of a challenge, so focus on the rules and mechanics of the game.

Non-Gamer Friends​

Another source of potential players is your existing circle of friends who are not into gaming. These are people who you already know and like, and who share some of your interests. You already have a rapport which makes this approaching them a bit easier. It’s a chance to share your hobby with them.

However, RPGs are not for everybody, and since they’re still your friends, you need to respect that if they choose not to play. I’ve had limited success on this front; I’ve converted a few friends to gaming but none of them have really stuck with it. You may also have to deal with some social issues, such as peer pressure, group dynamics, or friendship conflicts, that could affect the game.

Friend of Friends​

Another source of potential players is your extended network of acquaintances, or friends of friends. These are people who you don’t know very well, but who have some connection or relation to your existing friends. Many of the new players I have in my campaign are friends of friends.

Once you start looking for players outside of your social circle, this is where incompatibilities may arise in play styles, or between friends. And if things don’t work out, you’ll need to consider how that affects your friend who is already in the game.

Online and In-Person Gaming Spaces​

Another source of potential players is the online and offline communities of gamers, such as websites, forums, social media, apps, or hobby shops. These are people who you don’t know personally, but who have a common interest in gaming.

Unlike friends, these potential players are obviously interested in the game but you don’t know much about them. As a result, you’ll probably need to do more vetting, depending on the platform or venue you use. Approaching strangers requires a bit of a sales pitch: you can describe the basic details of your game, such as the setting, the system, the schedule, the tone, and the rules. You can also describe yourself as a DM, and explain your style, your experience, and your expectations. I’ve played at a LOT of conventions with random strangers, and it’s a challenging experience to find someone who is compatible with your style.

Good Luck!​

Finding someone who is compatible with your gaming style, and that of your group, is largely a leap of faith. As much as you can try to reduce unknown variables like play styles (when it comes to friends and family) or gaming styles (when it comes to fellow gamers), you can only account for so much. The best way to figure out if it works is to play – perhaps in a shorter game, just to understand if everyone gels. With virtual platforms available, you can use online games as a means of vetting folks before meeting them in person.

This is hard work. If you have social anxiety, it’s even harder. You have to put yourself out there, and invite others to join your adventure. You have to be open and flexible, and adapt to different people and situations. But you also get a chance to share your game, make new friends, and have fun. When you find your people, it’s worth it.

Your Turn: How do you find new players?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

aco175

Legend
This is one problem I'm hitting into at some point. My group fluctuates some from 5-6 players a few/several years ago to 2 players now that my son is off to college. we have played a few off games with a few more players, but nobody has stuck with the weekly commitment. I could come play at the college I work at on Sundays with the students, but it has not come to that (yet).

The Soloist

Adventurer
I stopped playing RPGs for about 4 years in 2010. I had lost my regular group to real-life issues. The new group I tried to put together was created with random players found on forums. Each was very nice during the first 2 or 3 games but after that, the real personalities of the players started to show. It was a very unstable group. After three months of trying to run a weekly game, I quit DMing.

In 2014 I started playing again because of a chance meeting with a wargamer friend. I joined their RPG group and I was a good fit. Later, I became their 'forever DM'. They renewed my faith in playing RPGs again.

During Covid, I learned to play D&D in solitary mode. It's very different but I like it. Now I alternate between one week of group play and one week of solitary play. This new post-Covid group is stable with two players from the 2014 group.

Since 1981 I've played RPGs about only 50% of the time due to group problems.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine

Online and In-Person Gaming Spaces​

Another source of potential players is the online and offline communities of gamers, such as websites, forums, social media, apps, or hobby shops. These are people who you don’t know personally, but who have a common interest in gaming.

Unlike friends, these potential players are obviously interested in the game but you don’t know much about them. As a result, you’ll probably need to do more vetting, depending on the platform or venue you use. Approaching strangers requires a bit of a sales pitch: you can describe the basic details of your game, such as the setting, the system, the schedule, the tone, and the rules. You can also describe yourself as a DM, and explain your style, your experience, and your expectations. I’ve played at a LOT of conventions with random strangers, and it’s a challenging experience to find someone who is compatible with your style
Recommend running a one shot, or a few-shot for a new group of folks. Then if one or more of them don't jive, then you aren't "saddled" with them for a long period of time...

talien

Community Supporter
Recommend running a one shot, or a few-shot for a new group of folks. Then if one or more of them don't jive, then you aren't "saddled" with them for a long period of time...
Yeah this really seems like the only way to figure if things work out, and that's play with them with a natural ending point.

I also find, even if there are players I love (and I do love all my players), some of them can't play for long do to real life commitments. Giving them a natural end point where they can exit the game is good for everybody -- sometimes we part ways for reasons that have nothing to do with gaming compatibility. Knowing there's an end point, players who need to leave the campaign will limp along and show up for the finale just to give their character a good send-off.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Yeah this really seems like the only way to figure if things work out, and that's play with them with a natural ending point.

I also find, even if there are players I love (and I do love all my players), some of them can't play for long do to real life commitments. Giving them a natural end point where they can exit the game is good for everybody -- sometimes we part ways for reasons that have nothing to do with gaming compatibility. Knowing there's an end point, players who need to leave the campaign will limp along and show up for the finale just to give their character a good send-off.
And sometimes having an end point can make folks feel more comfortable to stay for a long time

True story - my wife and I didn't get married forever because we were like "we don't need a piece of paper to keep us together. If we want to stop being together, let's just do it" Of course buying a house and then having a kid made us realize that we'd pay less in taxes and insurance if we were married... US law, I tell you

The Soloist

Adventurer
One-Shots don't always work. I've had a few creepers who seemed a good fit during the one-shot, but once in the regular game proved to be jerks.

Hex08

Hero
About 12 years ago I moved from a city I lived in since 1983, my sophomore year of high school. I had a regular Sunday gaming group (playing for decades with some changes in group members) and I didn't want to stop playing with them, so I bought Fantasy Grounds and we have been playing ever since (with minor changes to group members). I spent a couple of years in South Carolina and had a several people at work ask me to DM games for them but I declined, I was the regular DM for my Sunday group and didn't want to DM another game, I was more interested in playing. I then ended up in my current city, Columbus, and have noticed the biggest impact on my gaming is working from home. When I was still in the office, I met people who played and ended up with, at one point, my weekly Sunday game (usually Pathfinder 1e at the time but other games as well) another Pathfinder 1e game every other week, a D&D5e game weekly and a weekly board game group. Since I started working from home a couple of years before covid my gaming has been reduced to my Sunday game and my board game group. Since I don't have the social aspect of a workplace I would imagine it would be much harder now to find a gaming group if I were interested in doing so.

Of course, gaming 4 times a week made my girlfriend at the time less than happy.

talien

Community Supporter
And sometimes having an end point can make folks feel more comfortable to stay for a long time

True story - my wife and I didn't get married forever because we were like "we don't need a piece of paper to keep us together. If we want to stop being together, let's just do it" Of course buying a house and then having a kid made us realize that we'd pay less in taxes and insurance if we were married... US law, I tell you
I think we just summed up adulthood in a paragraph.

Longspeak

Adventurer
I like this. I might add, not so much how to find players, but the patience needed to build a group, especially if you're not running the games it seems most people are looking for.

I've been running almost exclusively in online spaces for 25 years. It started as a way to game while home with the kids on weekends. They'd goto bed (they were just babies), and I'd be alone, couldn't go out. But then I discovered I really like it.

But it was always hard to find players. It was only about five years ago I got back into the latest Ampersand edition, and discover... it's a lot easier to find players for the game everyone wants than for whatever experimental or homebrew game I want to run. I've related this before, but I'd take weeks or months to find enough players for a WoD or Star Wars game, and those are relatively popular compared to some on the stuff I'd try. But the very first time I offered D&D in 2019, I got so many responses that in two weeks I'd split the game into two sessions, and later a third. I didn't change anything but the system.

If you want to run your experimental fantasy heartbreaker with the strange sci-fi element, then DO. But go in knowing it'll be a lot harder, take a lot longer, to find players, rather than the Ampersand game everyone wants to play. Don't take it as personal. And don't take it personal when gaming styles don't mesh. I run text games, which is harder and harder to find people for in this growing audio/video age. Patience.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads