• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG Industry News and Market Research

ProfessorPain

First Post
So I am trying to put together a workable business plan for a small game publishing company, and realize I need information. Does anyone know where I can get industry news, and market information at little to no cost?

ProfessorPain

First Post
What do you want to know?

Well, we are a start-up; and need to write up a business plan that includes demographics for pen and paper RPGs and the different break down of niches within the niche market; so we can decide where we fit. We also need sales information- how much can a small RPG sell in its first few months, how much is it likely to sell. We are also trying figure out how much we should print. I have heard everything from 50 to start to 2000. I don't want to start too small; but I don't want to start too big. We are learning as we go, so we are hoping for slow, steady growth.

Last edited:

ProfessorPain

First Post
Matt actually authored a PDF with a lot of useful information in it:

EN World PDF Store - Mongoose - I am Mongoose, and so can you!

It costs $29.95, but I think it's a worthwhile investment.

I read it. Definitely a good investment. And as he points out, you hear a lot of different numbers from different people. So I have been asking around the forums to get a wide range of viewpoints, so I can assess the pros and cons. But what I am really having trouble finding is the sales figures, and the break down of the market. We've been meeting at our chamber of commerce with business advisors, who have been very helpful, and this is information we need for our business plan. Also, our first print is kind of an experiment as well, because we don't know the ins and outs of the industry. So we are using it to get our feet wet. In a lot of ways, too much success too quickly could be a bad thing for us.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
You're in Lynn. Have you tried talking to Tyler at Pandemonium in Cambridge, or the folks who used to run Wizards Tower in Nashua (now closed)? He might be able to give you some insight.

ProfessorPain

First Post
You're in Lynn. Have you tried talking to Tyler at Pandemonium in Cambridge, or the folks who used to run Wizards Tower in Nashua (now closed)? He might be able to give you some insight.

I haven't been there in a while (I usually go to Harrison's in Salem because they are one town over from me). That is a good idea. My original plan was to go to some of these places once I had a workable prototype printed and ask for their opinions and advice. I was going to go to Your Move also.

lmpjr007

Explorer
Yes. I just need information that will help us decide where our product fits; and help me convince distributors it will sell.
Do your self a favor and forget about retail stores for now. Just focus on getting some products, hell any product, out on a regualr basis. That is key. Get known then build your base from there. Store don't care about new RPG companies they have never heard of. They only want "sure things" and "proven sellers" to sell in their stores, and that means WOTC or White Wolf. Start with PDFs and go from there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads