• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG purchases you use(ed) regularly

paqman

First Post
As a counter part of the Thread started By Crothian (RPG purchases you know you'll never use) lets list all the games that you played regularly in your life and comment on them if you want.

I Will start with what I remember:

DnD in all it's forms (DnD basic(all boxed sets), Adnd(1 and 2), DnD 3rd)

Played it all my RPG life (17 years, the campaing we currently run has started in 1989 and we recently reached 20th level with the old rules, nice of the Epic book to show up)

Starwars (WEG, d20)
Played it for quite some time, My gamemaster was masterfull in creating long involved plots.

Hero system (4th and 5th)
My master RPG of all time, we made everything with this baby. From Forgotten realms to supers, passing by Startrek, Cyberpunk and the Guyver

Mekton II
Nice system, liked it a lot and we played for about 2 years all in all.

Robotech
This one was the favorite of one of my GM, and he started a new Campaing at least once every 2 years. I had to suffer those rules quite too frequently to my tastes

Rift
Played for a while, with an amateur GM. Was fun, I bought a lot of books for this game. Same comment as above for rule system

Paladium fantasy
Well, yuk is the correct word in my opinion, but we played a while.

TMNT
Was cool, played about 10 times

Hero Unlimited
Was very cool as the first supers based game I played, at that time the Paladium rules were not so bad in my mind

Marvel superhero
Another of the classics, we played that one for at least 5 years.

Gammaworld (don't remember the edition)
We played some of this game, we currently play a game with d20 amateur rules found on the net

Paranoia :D
A classic. My Starwars gamemaster was our GM in this one, he prepared well and the games were all memorable

Alternity (Star*drive)
I won't start an Alternity debate here, but what a system and what a setting (S*D)

Call of Cuthulu
This game made me suffer a lot. Our gamemaster was of the kind to make us play from 6PM to 6AM and he usually made us go through the most fearfull events near 3 or 4 in the morning when we were very tired. It was very successful each time.

Mage the ascension
I DMed this one for some time, liked it a lot but not the players

Vampire the masquerade
Played a while in this one, I didn't liked it but the other players and the GM liked it.

Werewolf the Apocalipse
My favorite of the White wolf series, but guess what, the players didn' liked it. :)

Cyberpunk
A classic, we played a long time in this one.

Shadowrun
Didn't played a long time but we liked the setting a lot, my current Dragonstar setting is a bit of a revival of the feel of that setting

Torg
hoooo TORG!!!! What a great setting, but bad baaaad system.

If I think of others I will add them later.

I am eager to see what you played.

Last edited:

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
The big games in my life:

Original Dungeons & Dragons
- I was running a campaign of this game until the DAY I recieved the three core rulebooks of third ed. I love OD&D to this day. I am old-school.

Gamma World
- Second, Third & Fourth editions. Played a ton of this game. LOVE it. My fave beyond all reason is Third Ed, but my players are leery of the ACT tables.

Star Frontiers
- This was my first game after D&D. I even dug up my old house rules and published them to the web four years ago. http://thehound.tripod.com

Top Secret
- Rock on. We played this for a year solid. I still dream of running this or playing this again.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness
- Another game we played for over a year... mixed in with some AD&D 1e. Fun and silly.

Traveller
- I didn't actually play more than about 40 sessions of this game, but I still remember it VERY well and worship the books I own (particularly MegaTraveller).

Villains & Vigilantes
- Only superhero game we really played more than a few times. A full year of high school for this one, plus a bunch more games over the years.

Call of Cthulhu
- Two years, non-stop. Averaged around a 40% casualty rate per session.

CyberPunk 2020
- Nine solid years, I played this. I own a nearly perfect collection of CyberPunk books, including just about every other cyberpunk-styled RPG (including all three editions of Shadowrun, Cyberspace, Underground...), just for use as sourcebooks. Cyberpunk was my BIG deal gaming effort before d20. I still host one of the biggest cyberpunk 2020 RPG websites on the net. http://www.ambient.ca/cpunk

Vampire
- REALLY got deep into this for a long time. When the revised edition came out, I was so happy with the rules set that it was the first time we ever ran an RPG that DIDN'T have any of my house rules. Amazing roleplaying was had.

There are probably some others... but none I can remember immediately.

BeanFruit

Explorer
D&D : First edition to current 3rd. Been playing for 12 years now. Started off with 1st ed, playing an assassin named Galiv in Greyhawk. Spent the last ten years in the Realms, with some time between 1992/93 and 1995 with Dark Sun.

Shadowrun : Played a few times back in 1991/92.

Battletech : Have been playing this since 1989. I love the universe, despite some of the annoying problems (like their being trillions of people in the Inner Sphere, but a planet is likely defended by at most a dozen to 108 mechs.

Warhammer Fantasy : Never got much chance to play this which has always bummed me. It looks like a quality game.

I clearly haven't played as many games as you two, but these are the main ones I have spent my years gaming with. Unfortunately, I haven't actually done much active gaming in the last six years.

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
StarWars (D6, WEG): Played and Ran it for 3 or 4 years straight and used the system for other settings.

StarWars (D20, WOTC): Played and Ran it since I got it.

Shadowrun 2nd Edition: Played it off and on for a couple years

D&D3E: Played it off and on since it came out

Buffy The Vampire Slayer RPG: Only had it a week, but I'm already running a game

There are others, but those are what I can think of off the top of my head.

Staffan

Legend
Drakar och Demoner (various editions): Swedish RPG, the first I ever played and ran.

TORG: Back in 1990 when this was first released (or was it 1989?), I got KULT as soon as it came out, and the Black Madonna campaign soon after. However, after a while I realized that KULT was not a game for me, and I swapped Kult and the Black Madonna to a friend in exchange for TORG, The Destiny Map and The Cassandra Files. Best trade I ever made.

AD&D 2nd edition: It took a while after I first got it, but I've run quite a few fun things with this, mostly a Dark Sun campaign that got a bit out of hand after a while (thri-kreen cleric/psionicist of level 10/10 or so, with Enhance Strength and Adrenal Control to pump his Strength to ridiculous levels...)

D&D 3e: I'm currently running a 3e campaign with a bunch of friends who live in another town (I try to go see them every month or so). It's pretty fun. Way better system than 2e, but I miss some of the settings.

Crothian

First Post
Beholder said:
As a counter part of the Thread started By Crothian (RPG purchases you know you'll never use) lets list all the games that you played regularly in your life and comment on them if you want.

Since I'm named in the thread, might as well respond to it. This is only what I remember:

D&D (original, advanced, second, rules cyclopedia)
Rifts
Palladium Fantasy
Heros Unlimted
TMNT
After the Bomb
Marvel Heroes
DC Heroes
Nightspawn
Beyond the Supernatural
Torg
Paranio
Gurps
Vampire
Werewolf
Changeling
Trinity
Aberrant
Starwars (d20, d6)
CoC
Shadowrun
Robotech

There are more that I can't remember. ;)

VorpalBunny

Explorer
The big games for me would have to be:

Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set and Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st ed.
I started roleplaying in 1980 with Keep on the Borderlands and haven't looked back ;)

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, 2nd ed.
I started my current Forgotten Realms campaign with 2e in 1993 (mainly due to the dearth of Greyhawk material available in the early '90's). My group fooled around alot with Dark Sun and Planescape, but always came back to the 'Realms.

Dungeons & Dragons, 3rd Edition
We play 3e Forgotten Realms almost exclusively, but we have a small Greyhawk game going, and I'm thinking of starting a Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign after the Forgotten Realms campaign wraps up.

Gamma World, 1st and 2nd editions
I loved this game - for me 1st ed. still beats the other 4 editions. How could you not love a game where you can play an 8ft. tall mutated rabbit with a bad attitude and a BIG gun?

Shadowrun, 2nd and 3rd editions
Man, I love this game. IMO the game setting is one of the best. Period. I just started a short 3rd ed. adventure/campaign today to play while some of my players are unable to make the regular D&D game for a few weeks.

Star Wars d20
I missed the boat on the WEG version, but am having a good time with the d20 version.

Call of Cthulhu - Delta Green
BRP and d20. I'm a big fan of DG - not only is it a great campaign "setting" but it gives investigators a ) a plausible reason to be together, and b) an easy way to introduce new characters after their current ones are........eaten.

I like classic "1920's" CoC, but prefer playing CoC set in the modern day.

Werewolf: The Apocalypse and Vampire: The Masquerade 1st ed.
Played for about 3 months.

FASA's Star Trek RPG
My brother and I still talk about a game we played in the early '80's. (It was the Doomsday Machine scenario for anyone who still remembers "classic" Trek or the FASA game :p )

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Amber Diceless Roleplaying - three years of playing this, taught me a lot about how to roleplay and the pitfalls of not having a clearly defined conflict-resolution system. I love the game, though.

Star Wars, WEG - three years of playing this taught me how good a cinematic-style RPG can be. :)

James Bond - this old Victory Games rpg I haven't played for ages, but it showed me how one-on-one roleplaying could work, even though it makes the DM work three times as hard!

D&D (basic, tom moldvay), AD&D, 2E, Player's option, 3E - what can I say? 20 years and counting! ;)

There are bunches of other games I've played and would happily play again: Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, Call of Cthulhu, Marvel Superheroes, Star Wars d20, Teenagers from Outer Space, Paranoia, and Runequest (2nd ed), to name a few.

Cheers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads