• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG suggestion for a weekend away

draquila

First Post
Hi!

I'm going on a weekend away with a bunch of friends, and I was thinking of introducing tabletop RPGs to them in some of the free time that we might have. So I'm in need of a simple adventure module of some kind.

Since this is on a trip, there are some requirements:

• Minimal preparation, and equipment; I'll have pen and paper, a laptop, and some dice and that's it
  • Easy to learn for people who've never played RPGs before
  • A short adventure that can be played in 2-3 hours
  • Ideally, free ;)
I've been poking around with PDFs that can be found online from things like Free RPG days, but most of them seem to have quite a steep learning curve.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks!!

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Thanks! But the quantity of free stuff out there is a bit overwhelming, I was hoping for a recommendation or two...

Are there systems you could run without the books and thus take advantage of just a free scenario (and not need to carry the books?)

draquila

First Post
Are there systems you could run without the books and thus take advantage of just a free scenario (and not need to carry the books?)

Not really, I'm pretty new to this myself and my only experience is with 4E, which requires a bit too much in terms of miniatures and grids and the rules are too complex for a one-shot.

I'm hoping to find something that has a really simple system (probably focusing on narrative rather than tactics) with a starter adventure included.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Hmmm.... well, here's one "rules-light-'ish" free RPG: http://www.grippingtales.com/ . It does NOT have a 'free adventure', but based on the rules, I can't see it taking more than an hour or two to whip up something quick to take with you. I haven't tried the system myself (just read it), but it is definitly interesting in rules execution. Could be really good for an 'intro-rpg'.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

A

amerigoV

Time for you to become a Savage, my friend.

Here is an all-in-one adventure, figure flats, and test drive rules that was released for FreeRPG day:
http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/TheWildHuntDownload.pdf

If modern horror is not what you wanted, the downloads site has material organized by genre (including an nice, quick little fantasy one-pager):
Pinnacle Entertainment Group Downloads

Here is a link to a ton of more one-page adventures - a variety of genres, but heavy to Deadlands (weird west):
Savage Worlds One Sheets!

Here is a nice document that talks about how SW came to be and gives some insight on how the system runs (beyond the Test Drive Rules):
http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/SWEX/MakingofSW.pdf

Its Fast!, its Fun!, its Furious!

delericho

Legend
Any suggestions are welcome, thanks!!

Dread? You'd need a Jenga tower, but that doesn't sound like too much of a hardship.

For introducing RPGs to new players, I would generally recommend sticking with a well-known concept. So, D&D, Star Wars, Warhammer (Fantasy or 40K; only if they're familiar with those games), or Vampire/Hunter.

I would also recommend sticking with what you know, so that really does suggest D&D 4e, despite the complexities. Perhaps download "Keep on the Shadowfell", which I believe included enough of the rules to play stand-alone?

The Paizo/Pathfinder Free RPG adventure, "We be Goblins!" is a lot of fun; I suppose you could consider running that - despite the size of the rulebook, there aren't too many rules you'd need for that one adventure.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'd say Savage Worlds - that Wild Hunt looks pretty good, and playing out a ghost story is something that a group of friends can pretty easily make the leap to.

Failing that, I'd say Risus -- It's six pages long, uses d6's, and the rules are dirt - dirt - dirt simple.

CG&D Free Downloads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads