• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG Superstar Countries: Go vote!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Can't believe no one has mentioned or started discussing these here, yet, but there it is. Paizo's RPG Superstar top 32 have posted their country entries. Go read, vote, and come back to discuss! ;)

Glyfair

Explorer
As an aside, Wolfgang Baur (one of the judges) has an article on his Open Design website How to Be a Superstar with tips on how to approach the contest. Unlike most such articles he ties into his Open Design project for patrons, this one is open to the public.

FunkBGR

Explorer
I started reading them last night, and have commented on only one of them that I felt was getting the short end of the stick.

I've read about half of them, and hopefully will get through the other half tonight. I'm noticing a trend though, in that a lot of "favorites" (based on comments) are countries that by themself, look like awesome places to adventure.

But the next logical step is to place a country next to another, and a lot of these seem like they would create a world that every country has some crazy magical schtick or so, and there's TOO much going on within each.

I dunno - I know you have to base your opinion on something, but too many of them scream "over the top" to me.

Go see the countries! They are good stuff. There's one that moves - the whole country. There's a phenomenal kingdom of surface-dwelling industrial dwarves. Ocean states, lands ruled by the severed heads of dead gods, necromancer-druids, places where sorceresses get conscripted, and a lot, lot more. The blink dog nation concept is very cool.

Wik

First Post
My personal favourite is the Prison Colony nation,even though it's lacking in some major ways.

I'm a little upset that one of my comments on one of the country's generated a bit of offence - looking back, I honestly don't know how I didn't realize saying "this seems racist" WOULDN'T get someone offended, but there it is. I stand by my statements, but I could have been more diplomatic. :p

Right now, I've got votes for Karistynia (Like Eberron's Karrnath, but better done), Carnamach (severed god head!? How cool!), Beria (African, with Were Elephants), Land of the Stained Peaks (probably the best one out there), And the Prison Colony of Saran.

I hope they all make it.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Finally got through reading these, and I had a hard time voting. Mainly because only a few really got me, and then I had to sort out which other ones fit my top five. I guess I was a little disappointed after the wondrous items. In particular, I was surprised by the number of evil or oppressive countries. Why on earth would I want to campaign there except in resistance? I don't know, maybe I'm looking for something different than most.

Anyway, I voted for Carnamach (severed god head, excellent!), the blink dogs, Kerstia (mad king), and the couple I thought had the best writing (can't remember exactly which ATM).

Dav

First Post
FunkBGR said:
But the next logical step is to place a country next to another, and a lot of these seem like they would create a world that every country has some crazy magical schtick or so, and there's TOO much going on within each.
I don't know what Paizo Publishing plans to do with these countries, but I didn't get the impression that they would be putting these countries next to each other, even if they were to publish them all (which I doubt). Has anyone seen anything to the contrary?

Nellisir

Hero
Dav said:
I don't know what Paizo Publishing plans to do with these countries, but I didn't get the impression that they would be putting these countries next to each other, even if they were to publish them all (which I doubt). Has anyone seen anything to the contrary?

I think the point is that no country exists in isolation, at least in theory. If the authors now had to define 4 more neighboring countries, how would they compare and how attractive would they be to DMs? Alot of the entries seem to be pretty far out there on the weird scale, and a whole region like that would probably overwhelm gamemasters. The fantastic is fantastic because it's rare.

Remove ads