• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPGA UK

DMaple

First Post
Looks like support for the UK side of the RPGA is about to go belly up as volunteer members of the steering commitee have all just resigned.

Not supprising considering the way the RPGA has treated its European members.

IE: We have not recieved anything in the post since the last issue of Polyhedron (before it merged with Dungeon). No Pulp Heros, No Shadow Chasers and no letter of appology for delays.

UK members still can't access the RPGA website at WotC.

Anyone interested in what might happen should check out http://rpga.ukonline.co.uk/

Especially since the volunteer members of the RPGA UK were responsible for organising nearly all the roleplaying events at GenCon UK. Looks like it could be all card games at GenCon this year and no roleplaying (still since the DCI run it what do you expect).

Hi DMaple mate! :)

DMaple said:
Especially since the volunteer members of the RPGA UK were responsible for organising nearly all the roleplaying events at GenCon UK. Looks like it could be all card games at GenCon this year and no roleplaying (still since the DCI run it what do you expect).

Thats put a bit of a dampener on things! :(

I was looking forward to the event this year...since I planned to attend!

qstor

Adventurer
DMaple - Do you have the exact link to the announcement? I heard on the LG list that it had something to do with the state of that campaign?

Mike "Curious Yank RPGA member"

DMaple

First Post
Let me find it.

http://rpgauk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=620

Sounds like its more to due with the fact that the RPGA has basically become a USA only society providing no funding for stuff outside the US, no magazine, no access to the website and generally ignoring its members.

One interesting post mentions that on the US RPGA site (which most UK members still find impossible to enter) allows you to download adventures for $4 or something. Rumour has it that some of these adventures are not the property of WotC, or the RPGA to sell and make money from.

Service points and membership cards haven't been awarded to UK RPGA members and last announcement about Polyhedron was in January about it being delayed due to "Issue 6 of the Polyhedron/Dungeon will be late arriving due to transport problems over the Christmas period." Well its nearly Easter and still no news as to when we will get the magazine we have paid for.

Nothing has been sent in the post since last year so members without Internet access are still in the dark.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
The Polyhedron problem stems from two issues, essentially.

1) Privacy laws in the UK mean that we can't simply transfer the UK member database to our database without a fair amount of legal wrangling, part of which would probably involve a mass mailing to all UK members, asking them to "opt in" to having their personal information stored in a foreign database. Because of the legal issues involved, such a letter would need to be vetted by Hasbro lawyers. This has taken some time.

2) Because of complicated changes in how WotC's non-US offices are managed, it's no longer a simple matter of printing a few extras and sending them across the ocean. We are in fact forbidden from doing so.

At any rate, both the RPGA staffers in the UK and those of us here in the states are trying to come to some sort of resolution to the bloody mess, but I'd be lying if I said it would be resolved with the snap of a finger. The RPGA staff remains committed to serving members all around the world, and the staff is working hard to resolve this issue to the mutual satisfaction of everyone.

--Erik Mona
Editor, Polyhedron

DungeonKeeperUK

First Post
Its been said on teh RPGAUK boards that the RPGA helpers that have left their helping role are to set up a new "organization" to help gamers of the UK & Europe... now this is not intended as compotition for the RPGA, and they have in fact I understand offered to help the RPGA with GenConUK (if it ever happens) this year, they are merely there to help us "abandoned" UK players. Abandoned may be a strong word to use but its how a lot of RPGA members feel... not sure what I paid my RPGA subscription for, no ployhedron, no RPGA website acces, no "card points".. nada.... anyway I'll leave it there.. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads