• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPGs at the movies

Kai Lord

Hero
reapersaurus said:
As I remember, it was in a hallway, and the kid should have kicked Freddy's butt with his imagination.

But Freddy just made the kid 'flinch' and then stabbed him in the chest with his razors. :(
Oh yeah, now I kind of remember it. This happened right after the kid blew up the spike-filled wheelchair with a lightning bolt spell.

Kai Lord

Hero
Dagger75 said:
First Season of Charles in Charge, one of the kids he watched played D&D. Yes I used to watch WAAAYYYY to much TV.
Ha, gotcha beat. In an episode of Diff'rent Strokes, Arnold goes into a comic book shop and behind him on the wall is the DMG (1st edition of course.) I have absolutely no idea why I'm able to remember that. ;)

Klaatu B. Nikto

First Post
C. Baize said:
Oh yeah! In the Newspaper Comic Strip "Foxtrot" Jason Fox and his friend often play D&D.
(as an aside, my wife e-mailed the author, once, and he said the only reason he doesn't, now, is a lack of time)

IIRC, there was also a week long (maybe 2 weeks) storyline where Jason finally persuaded his sister into playing. They spent hours making up a character but she died at the cave entrance when it collapsed.

There's also the D and DeeDee episode of Dexter's Laboratory. His friends played a ranger (forgot the name), a wizard (Macabros) and a paladin (Valarian). When DeeDee takes over as dungeonmaster, Dexter attempts to play Gygax, 10 level fighter mage with a soul sucking sword but tends up with a hobbit-like character (Burrowing +6!). After walking through the dungeon forest, the group ends up killing a dragon by cutting off its head so candy spews out (SURPRISE! It's a pinata!). Nah. I haven't seen that episode much. :p

diaglo

Adventurer
E.T. the game was actually Tunnels & Trolls. ;) the child actors played D&D off set but in the movie they used Tunnels & Trolls. go rent or buy the 20th anniversary DVD. ;)

Salt Lake City Punk...flashback scene in a basement.

CarlZog

Explorer
diaglo said:
E.T. the game was actually Tunnels & Trolls. ;) the child actors played D&D off set but in the movie they used Tunnels & Trolls. go rent or buy the 20th anniversary DVD. ;)
T&T! That was such a fun game. GREAT for solo play.

TSR was being a militant jerk about D&D copyright protection at the time. I wonder if that had anything to do with T&T being chosen for E.T.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads