• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

rpgs for an after school program

theRogueRooster

First Post
I am working with my local library in starting up an after school roleplaying group aimed at teens. As we began hammering out the details it occurred to me that what I'd really like to do at the start is to have the program be a kind of Intro to RPGs. The idea is that every month or two we'd switch systems to give the group the chance to experience different styles of games. Then, after a decent sampling of games, we'd just let the kids run whatever they like best.

So now I'm compiling a list of games for the library to attempt to acquire for the program. In no particular order, here's what I've generated based on my own interests:
  • Pathfinder
  • D&D
  • Hollow Earth Expedition
  • Mouse Guard
  • Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies
  • Serenity

The goal is to find a decent sampling of games with vastly different play styles and feel. Bonus points if there is some sort of literary tie-in.

So what games would you like to see in a program like this?

-tRR

Gilladian

Adventurer
I would suggest a supers game and a manga-based game. They're where teens are at (I am a public library Teen Librarian).

Also look at adding/having available/allowing things that are not "just" pen and paper rpgs. Allow them to bring/use their Nintendo DSs, and provide starter packs of the collectible card games. Many will already be familiar with Magic and Yu-gi-oh and such, and will happily play these games when there's a break/gap in your ability to run other things.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"Teens" is pretty broad. A thirteen year old and a 17 year old may want very different things - keep that in mind.

I'd suggest a supers game - Mutants and Masterminds being the obvious example.

Pathfinder and 4e have different mechanical bases, but they do cover the same basic genre of gaming. If you have to pick and choose games, consider eliminating one for now.

Elric, Conan, and Cthulhu model specific authors and sub-genres that modern teens may not be familiar with. I'd only suggest that alongside a reading project, and run by someone who already loves those works.

If you want to go for media properties, Star Wars is something they'll recognize, and the Saga Edition is still in print - get it while it is.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Well, I first designed BASH! when I was working for an afterschool program for the purpose of being a good game to run with the kids. And I could also tell parents the game was educational, because the core mechanic involved simple multiplying. There is also a colorful "Dice Roll Chart" on the back for kids that need to brush up on their math.

If you want more info, there is a preview here. There is an in-depth review here and some shorter reviews here. There is also my interview on The Rpg Haven podcast and Meanwhile... The Super Gaming Podcast that give some more in-depth info about the game. I'll be appearing on "The Game's the Thing" next week.

If you want, I think a pretty easy way to get to understand the game would be for me to show how to build a character with it. Do you have an idea of a sort of character you'd want to make, or see made? The game does everything from Pulp Mystery Men to Cosmic Beings- so please, be creative.

darjr

I crit!
Oh! Thats a great idea. Quick starts. There are quite a few good ones out there.

The HEX ones are quite good, I think there will be three after the next freerpgday. 4e D&D has one. You could also checkout the SRD's for Pathfinder and d20 and the d20 modern one.

Call of Cthulu has one.

There has to be a list somewhere.

More important than the system would be the adventures, IMHO.

As a gamer, I want to see the next generation have an awareness that a role-playing game is more than killing things and taking their treasure.

As a parent I don't want my kids participating in an activity where the default approach to settling any conflict is killing things and taking their treasure.

You're competing with the arts and sports, and everything they represent and can teach. You need to offer more than a wide selection of ways to kill goblins.

Tav_Behemoth

First Post
I think this is an awesome idea and am planning an afterschool RPG program for younger kids.

I don't see the virtue of using more than one well-chosen RPG system. That sounds like a higher level class, for people who know basically what a tabletop RPG is and are ready to appreciate the subtleties of different rules to emphasize different things. Having to learn a new system every couple of weeks would be a problem for newbies, I think.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
1) Were it my program, I'd probably select only one FRPG based on 3.X D&D- either 3.5 itself, Pathfinder or AU/AE- but not a variety of them. You can always tell the kids about them later on, or have the books on hand for them to peruse.

2) I'd pick one supers/universal system- in my case, probably HERO, but M&M or GURPS would work just as well- because that would let players get a taste for superheroic games.

3) Find one or 2 manga/anime themed games to cover the fantasy & sci-fi aspects of those forms- BESM, Mekton, Mechwarrior, Exalted or whatever- since those are so very popular today.

4) I'd have pre-gens on hand, both as a teaching tool and as a just-in-case.

5) I'd probably start off with choosing 1 game to run an adventure or two, probably in one of my best (as in, most thoroughly understood & enjoyed by me) RPG systems. For me, that would be HERO or 3.X.

6) I'd DEFINITELY have a variety of the core books for several RPGs on hand for people to look at during down-times, possibly even to loan out, just so the kids get a feel for the depth and breadth of the hobby...and hopefully, to get them thinking about their own personal preferences.

Remove ads