• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG's Set in the 1920's?

Rayston

First Post
Anybody know of any good games d20 or otherwise set in the early 19th Century? or to be more specific say....1880-1940?

I am putting together a Campaign World set in the 1920's but with heavy Fantasy Influences

Al Capone as a Werewolf

Canada Owned by the Elves

Aztecs still around and a major force to be reckoned with.

That kind of thing

and I was wondering how it stacked up against other 1920's gaming material

of particuilar usefulllness would be OGL material covering weapons of the 20's and such.

THanx in Advance

Rayston

Eryx

First Post
The most obvious choice to look at would be Call of Cthulhu (Check out the Chaosium stuff before the D20), and perhaps (if a little askewed) Adventure! by WW.

JESawyer

First Post
It's a little earlier than what you're talking about, but have you looked at Castle Falkenstein?

EDIT: Eryx, you're not, by chance, named after a character in a kid's book called The King With Six Friends... are you?

Last edited:

Dahak

Explorer
Rayston said:
Anybody know of any good games d20 or otherwise set in the early 19th Century? or to be more specific say....1880-1940?

Good is relative, but besides Call of Cthulhu, I can think of Space 1889, Gangbusters, Daredevils, Justice Inc., Indiana Jones (WEG and TSR versions), Bloodshadows (not really on Earth, but similar tone), Torg (Terra and the Nile Empire Cosm), as well as the previously mentioned Castle Falkenstein.

Darkcross

First Post
"Anybody know of any good games d20 or otherwise set in the early 19th Century? or to be more specific say....1880-1940?" -- Rayston

White Wolf's Adventure! is a great game. I highly recommend it, but its setting is pulp-oriented without the fantasy elements you're suggesting.

Castle Falkenstein (link to GURPS version) sounds more like it's along the lines you're interested in. It combines steamtech and fantasy in a great setting. Definately check it out.

Otherworld Creation's Forbidden Kingdoms is an upcoming D20 pulp game -- there's a free preview PDF on their website, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Then there's Chaosium's upcoming D20 Call of Cthulhu 1930's sourcebook, Pulp Cthulhu.

Both Forbidden Kingdoms and Pulp Cthulhu should contain lots of useful D20/OGL material. (Actually, I'm not sure that Pulp Cthulhu will be released under the OGL since it was done with a special liscence between Wizards and Chaosium.)

-- Darkcross

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Capone as a werewolf? Canada ruled by elves? Sounds like an interesting, if eclectic, campaign. I would reccomend the Pulp Heroes d20 mini-game in Dungeon #90. It has rules to allow you to make heroes of several different pulp genres. The classes are ganster, explorer (ala Indiana Jones), Martial Artist (the equivalent of a monk), scientist (who makes inventions that work like spells out of the players handbook, soldier, and mystic (a powered-down psion). You might also try the d20 Masque of the Red Death conversion at the RPGA Living Death website. Or I think there was some horror game in one of the Dungeon Magazines called Shadow Chasers or something like that.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Don't forget Deadlands (normal and d20). Weapons, critters and an interesting alternative history, mostly compatible with your idea.

Shado

Explorer
Some friends of mine published a game system that may workout for you. I fell out of contact with these guys a long time ago, but I helped them film the commerical. See if you can't find a game called "Noir". It tried to capture the feel of film based upon the time period. Very cool!

Eryx

First Post
JESawyer said:
EDIT: Eryx, you're not, by chance, named after a character in a kid's book called The King With Six Friends... are you?

Can't say I've ever heard of that book. I made the name up about 4 year ago for an NPC in a AD&D campaign and it's kinda stuck.
I had a shock when I found out that so many people online were using it as a nickname. Now I know perhaps why. :)

Rayston

First Post
Cool, and another question?

What would you guys like to see in such a game? what kind of characters would you play? what kind of adventures would you like to see published? or for that matter what type of adventures would you make yourself?

Rayston

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads