• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPGs: Would you prefer a textbook or periodical model?

In which of these formats would you buy an RPG?

• RPG in print with no advertising ($40-60)

Votes: 97 46.2%
  • RPG in print with advertising ($15-$40)

Votes: 61 29.0%
  • RPG in pdf with no advertising ($15-$40)

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • RPG in pdf with advertising ($7-15)

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • I don't care about the format just don't give me advertising.

Votes: 55 26.2%
  • I don't care about the format and advertising is ok if it reduces the cost.

Votes: 30 14.3%
  • I don't care as long as I can get the RPG if I want it.

Votes: 51 24.3%
  • None of the above

Votes: 12 5.7%

Weylan

First Post
Which would you prefer as an RPG format?

• Expensive textbook like RPGs ($40-$60)
  • Less expensive magazine-like RPGs with lots of advertising ($15-$40)

As I see it, we're just starting to see RPGs hit their stride in the textbook-style but we haven't really seen a magazine-style RPG.

(When I say textbook-style, I mean the kind of mass market RPG that we currently get today.)

Is it because you wouldn't buy it? Even with a significant cost reduction?

What about core rules vs. supplements?

(Cross-posted to RPGnet)

Ry

Explorer
I'd say that the dungeon adventure paths are DEFINITELY magazine-style rpgs - and that's why they've done so well. As Dragon features more and more tie-in content to the Adventure Paths, it's the other side of the equation. And I think it's quite a successful model from the consumer's point of view, when you think of page-per-dollar of relatively continuous, consistent content.

Weylan

First Post
rycanada said:
I'd say that the dungeon adventure paths are DEFINITELY magazine-style rpgs - and that's why they've done so well. As Dragon features more and more tie-in content to the Adventure Paths, it's the other side of the equation. And I think it's quite a successful model from the consumer's point of view, when you think of page-per-dollar of relatively continuous, consistent content.

That is a good point. I hadn't really thought of the Adventure Paths in that context before.

Hmm.

delericho

Legend
I am willing to buy adventures (or rather, adventure paths) in a periodical format. I would not be willing to buy rulebooks in that format - I want to buy the rules as a one-off expense and then have everything I need for the game.

In fact, for 4th Edition, I am strongly considering getting the Core Rules and nothing else... but then I said much the same thing about 3rd Edition.

diaglo

Adventurer
content is most important to me.

well edited. written for the game i want to play. fun. readable. useable.

content.

price is next.

my ideal would be material for OD&D(1974) in small booklet format for around $10.

Thanee

First Post
I definitely would not want a pile of magazines to form a rulebook together.

Advertising is fine, as long as it is minimal (even typical rpg books have some advertising, usually in the back and from the company that publishes the book, but something like this or marginally more would be alright).

Bye
Thanee

Ranger REG

Explorer
Weylan said:
Which would you prefer as an RPG format?

• Expensive textbook like RPGs ($40-$60)
  • Less expensive magazine-like RPGs with lots of advertising ($15-$40)

As I see it, we're just starting to see RPGs hit their stride in the textbook-style but we haven't really seen a magazine-style RPG.

(When I say textbook-style, I mean the kind of mass market RPG that we currently get today.)

Is it because you wouldn't buy it? Even with a significant cost reduction?

What about core rules vs. supplements?

(Cross-posted to RPGnet)
You are referring to core rulebooks, right?

You CAN offer RPG in magazine style, but some consider it to be less appealing, like putting a motion picture on 8mm films instead of a DVD.

The Adventure Path in Dungeon (as well as mini-settings in Polyhedron) can be considered RPG but it is missing their own core rulebook. They all requires a WotC core game book (D&D or d20 Modern core rulebooks).

Raloc

First Post
I don't think I'd buy periodicals for rule books, and certainly not if they had any sort of advertisements (stuff at the back that's related or by the same company I don't mind), especially if they were throughout the book as in typical magazines. It would be a nightmare to look up a rule if you had to dodge all sorts of ads.

Adventures and the like are fine in periodical form IMO.

the shmoopie

First Post
IMHO, I want to buy Core Rule Books hardbound, no adds, straight and concise. Everything else, be it a Complete book, a Fiend Folio, whatever I don't care, as long as all of the game related content is in the same place. My wife has her fashion magazines like that, front and back loaded with adds, but none/almost no adds in the middle, she just bookmarks where the magazines content starts. I would be willing to do someting like that to not have to pay $30+ dollars for an expansion.
But again that is my opinion, and I really don't have the cash to buy half of what I want, so any kind of price break is appealing to me.

Remove ads