• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rpol?

dragonlady

First Post
(Not sure if this is the correct area to post this question, Mod please move if necessary - first time posting)

Does anyone know why RPOL dot net has been down since Sunday morning?
THank you.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Nope, this is a fine place to ask, but I'm not personally familiar with the site. Hopefully someone else is.

And welcome! I can't believe you lurked for a year and a half. :D

National Acrobat

First Post
As an RPOL regular, I can answer that for you.

A few days ago, the hosting company where RPOL was hosted, was formally moved by the company that bought it. In effect, all of the servers (for everyone that company hosted) were packed up and moved from California to New Jersey, where all the files are being installed on new hard drives.

The catch is that this was done without any warning to most of the accounts, RPOL included.

So, Managed.Com hopes to have all the sites back up by Thursday evening.

Last I heard, Jase (who owns RPOL) is now looking for a new hosting company, that will actually communicate such things before they happen.

dragonlady

First Post
National Acrobat said:
As an RPOL regular, I can answer that for you.

A few days ago, the hosting company where RPOL was hosted, was formally moved by the company that bought it. In effect, all of the servers (for everyone that company hosted) were packed up and moved from California to New Jersey, where all the files are being installed on new hard drives.

The catch is that this was done without any warning to most of the accounts, RPOL included.

So, Managed.Com hopes to have all the sites back up by Thursday evening.

Last I heard, Jase (who owns RPOL) is now looking for a new hosting company, that will actually communicate such things before they happen.

Thank you! My players and I (the DM) have been wondering what was going on. Now I can tell them. :)

dragonlady

First Post
National Acrobat said:
Yeah, so had mine. I run five games there and have been getting bombed with emails from my players!

When you dial up rpol now you get the following message (at least I did this morning).

RPoL Is Down
Unfortunately RPoL is down for an indeterminate period of time.

I must apologise for the lack of place holder web page (what this thing here is) until now, but I didn't want to redirect the website in the hope that Managed.com/WebHostPlus would get things sorted. Fat chance, they can't even respond to trouble tickets.

I've tried keeping people informed with a status page, getting a temporary mail work-around sorted, and by using the java chat, but when I start getting phone calls about it, it's clear I haven't kept you informed well enough. (c;

For that I apologise, and so without further ado here's the bad news you've been looking for.

Our (soon to be ex-) hosting provider Managed.com was recently purchased by Web Host Plus Minus. The new owners quickly raised the hosting fees by 30% and then, to prove how much extra value for money we are getting, opted to physically move the entire Managed data centre from one coast of the United States to the other.

Without warning.

Suffice to say this is not only a ridiculous "migration" plan but totally unacceptable (words fail me here).

Sorry folks, there was no warning that this was going to happen, not even a hint (despite their claims to the contraire). If we had known this move was happening we would have relocated RPoL to an alternate vendor.

The current eta is some time Thursday, which they've missed. More information can be found on Managed's eSupport site, RPoL's Wikipedia talk entries and webhostingtalk's forum.

This temporary java chat page should still work. If not visit www.freejavachat.com and join #roleplay.

I have ordered a new server with my credit card and it should be available by the end of the weekend. Alas this does not mean RPoL will be up and running by then as we still need Managed.com/WHP to get the old server online so I can get the data off it.

Please mail me at admin@rpol.net if you have any further questions.
Update 13/05/2006: Still no word from WebHostPlus, though a message in the above linked forum claims they have 99% of the servers online. Ha!
Update 13/05/2006: Many people have been asking about donating to the server costs. The answer is "of course you can!", but what I would advise everyone do is wait until the RPoL is back up and running and then visit the "FoRPoL" forum (Friends of RPoL) and use the information located in there to donate.
Update 13/05/2006: Yes, another one. A few people have asked about their data. I have a backup but it's not in the state that I'd like it, large parts seem to be missing or old. Most of the Managed.com clients who have come back online have reported their data is ok, so I'm hoping that at least that much will go in our favour, but time will tell.
Update 13/05/2006: Fixed the chat link... well, actually, I make the file that the link went to.

Maester Luwin

First Post
Hey everyone! I get the same error tonight but posted in my game this morning. Some say it has been down since Sunday. Really wierd! Will wait I guess. Thanks to everyone for the heads up & info. Maester Luwin

Remove ads