• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPTools Online Tabletop Games..your experiences?

mosat

First Post
I use pretty much all of RPTools software for my face to face game and my group loves it. We've taken the game from the dining room table to the living room couch and I've gone paperless except for the game books.

I have an older Mac hooked up to a 42" HDTV and an iMac G5, Maptools runs on both with the players controlling their movement via the older Mac and I'm working everything else in DM mode from my G5. I use PCGen to make all the monsters and NPC's and then export them into InitTools format so I can use them in the InitTool combat tracker program. It makes casting Summon monster at the party actually fun since i can create a default version of the creature I need, apply the Feindish template and export it over to InitTool in about a minute.

one of the big advantages of this set up is that when the clock runs out I just hit save and then next week (or month as it sometimes goes) I can open my files back up and everything is right there, character positions, spells cast, effects in place, hit points lost, which round it is, etc.. My group plays slow with lots of chit chat (which is fine cause we like it like that) so really massive battles can take two or three sessions. With this set up there is no delay in getting started each session.

azhrei_fje

First Post
Yeah, the save-and-restore is actually one of my favorite features of using a VTT. When playing F2F with a battlemat, I was taking digital photos of the layout so that I could put it back right for the next session. (This isn't that critical unless the session ended with an unfinished encounter.)

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Just started using RPTools and loving it with my gang, however I'm looking for some sort of Dungeon dressing style art pack that I can butcher to use in RPTools, I need tables, chairs, barrels, crates- that kind of thing, any suggestions.

I've tried googling for images and then creating tokens, using the TokenTool, also I've tried copying images and then fixing them up in Paint/Photo but I get the feeling I'm missing a really obvious short cut.

I want to flesh out the chambers of my various dungeons, rather than rely on a hotch-potch of sometimes odd looking images resized to fit...

Any suggestions?

And thanks for putting me on to RPTools.

PS Does anyone else have a problem with importing larger maps, I tried to use some Dunndjinni maps, for a Goodman Games module (Prester's- see Goodman website), and RPTools just ceases working- any one else get this?

Thanks.

trevorscroft

First Post
Goonalan said:
RPTools just ceases working- any one else get this?

This is common behaviour if MapTool runs out of memory. A solution for that is to use the zip version instead of the web version and use one of the batch files that tells MapTool to use more memory.

azhrei_fje

First Post
Or you can edit the shortcut on your desktop (if you choose to have the WebStart version create a shortcut) and modify the command line to have a larger number. For example, "256" could become "512" or "1024" megabytes.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
trevorscroft said:
This is common behaviour if MapTool runs out of memory. A solution for that is to use the zip version instead of the web version and use one of the batch files that tells MapTool to use more memory.

So downloaded the zip file, changed it to the 1gig batch, now it wont upload any of my campaigns- trying of and on for the last two hours.

Having a bit of a horrorshow at the moment, only one of my players can get connected to RPTools the rest are steady on 98%, all the time- disconnect, reconnect (me, them, all of us) nothing, no change...

As I say we've been at this 2 hours and no change, therefore no game.

Although azhrei_fje-

Or you can edit the shortcut on your desktop (if you choose to have the WebStart version create a shortcut) and modify the command line to have a larger number. For example, "256" could become "512" or "1024" megabytes.

How exactly would I do that, there's nothing in the properties that is 256, or 512, or 1024, and when I skip to the Target fill- it's obviously just a Javaws.exe file.

What gives?

Cheers Goonalan

Emirikol

Adventurer
Goonalan said:
Just started using RPTools and loving it with my gang, however I'm looking for some sort of Dungeon dressing style art pack that I can butcher to use in RPTools, I need tables, chairs, barrels, crates- that kind of thing, any suggestions. I've tried googling for images and then creating tokens, using the TokenTool, also I've tried copying images and then fixing them up in Paint/Photo but I get the feeling I'm missing a really obvious short cut...I want to flesh out the chambers of my various dungeons, rather than rely on a hotch-potch of sometimes odd looking images resized to fit... Any suggestions? and thanks for putting me on to RPTools. PS Does anyone else have a problem with importing larger maps, I tried to use some Dunndjinni maps, for a Goodman Games module (Prester's- see Goodman website), and RPTools just ceases working- any one else get this?
Thanks.

I do (or don't do rather) several things:
1. I don't bother "making tokens." All that does is put a circle around them. Just create a link to the default folder on your desktop. When yo google, slide stuff in there.

2. I use Paint Shop Pro to crop any images (but the token program can work for this too if you don't have anything else).

3. I don't have any trouble with larger maps..but I also make sure that they are a .JPG file and not some other type of file.

4. The earlier poster was having difficulty keeping players on perhaps because they may not have been using the same version of the program.

Jay

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads